Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
    Well said. I remember growing up with jeeping and when you tried and tried and tried and failed, then you stacked some rocks. When you were done, you turned around and put it back the way it was. That's the way I do it 30 yrs later! I have seen alot of guys stack then say" well, I didn't make it so it's pretty hard, I'll just leave the stacked rocks so the next guy can get through easier." Like it's some favor.

Pack it in, pack it out, if you see trash, pick it up. If you stack, unstack. That's all there is to it!
    Thumbs up!!!

Comment

If its a hard trail and my jeep will do it,i will do it! If it wont,then i wont take that trail! ( I dont go off the trail and go around things,i love my trails open!) As for vv4w's trail i used the bypass, 1. because its a legal bypass and i needed it! 2. i know its a legal pass because i helped vv build it!

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
        Kudos to what Nick says above. I will reiterate that if your rig is stock, a BLACK DIAMOND trail is not the trail you should choose to travel on anywhere, but especially in the forest. Some think it is selfish for those with more capable rigs to be able to run these "really tough guy" trails, but what about the guy in the stocker that wants to prove his manhood (or whatever) by driving his stock rig on a trail designated too hard for that rig, by rearranging the trail to meet his requirements? Not only is that selfish, but it is just plain, absolute BS. If you want to run trails that your rig is not capable of and you are going to rearrange the trail to fit your abilities, think about spending some $$ on your rig and upgrade instead! ...
        Don't get me wrong, I like black diamond trails! You are preaching to the choir :-D I don't take my jeep on trails that are above what I think it (and me the driver!) are capable of, and if I'm not familiar with a trail, I ask people who have been on it if my jeep is capable of doing it before I sign up for the run. My jeep isn't a hammers jeep, so I don't take it there :-D

But that's what I mean, you'll always have people going on trails that their jeeps/trucks aren't rated for, regardless of how the trail is rated or kept up, because there is no enforcement of the requirements (which would probably be impossible anyway), so people just do it. So it seems like to keep the hard lines difficult, an official bypass might keep some of the rock stacking and moving to a minimum. Or... maybe not. haha! :-)

I wasn't saying we should make the trails lame, but if the rock stacking and re-arranging of the trails can't be stopped, I was just suggesting why not just make bypasses to keep it to a minimum? But I understand the trail width issue now.

I hope to take my little CJ out on some trails when I get the new tires on, but I won't be taking it on trails that are to difficult, or don't have bypasses.
        Last edited by daniel_buck; 07-28-12, 02:30 PM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

There is also shades of gray. Ive seen people with jeeps built like crazy and they... well..... in a polite way to say it, .... suck. They cant wheel for anything. Slamming into rocks and burning up their clutches, over reving, etc. Sure they got a 4,000 lift, 4,000 in wheels and about 10,000 in axles, but about an IQ of 68. I've seen stockers on a budget lift and 32's destroy well built jeeps.

It comes down to the driver, their skills, and their common sense. Pair two drivers up with the exact same skill-set, then it will come to the jeep.
          True, your simply not gonna get through Calico's Gatekeeper with out a flexible lift, some larger tires, lockers and some balls.

I say, if you got a very mildly built jeep and you have spotters and people who can recover you and you think you can take a black diamond, go for it, screw your rig up. It's wonderful testing grounds to show you that you need to build it better or give it up. Plus I can laugh...

Now to do it on a Saturday while 30 other wheeler's are trying to get through the trail and your breaking down or getting stuck every 30 ft, SCREW OFF. Ride shotgun on a trail that your contemplating. See how hard it is and then think about trying it. Dont just run through some trail assuming that your da shiet, just to break down and ruin your day and everyone else's you cross along the way.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I only stack when i really have too! I can hit a few hard trails that year and not stack at all. And when i mean stack it 1 to 2 rocks! I have been offroading for well over 20 years and i probaly could count how many times i stacked on 2 hands! Sometimes you just move over an inch or 2 the jeep goes right up! Very true what people have said, I have seen people that can out wheel some people with 35's with a long arm lift! Yep when some people with built rigs hold me up i dont get pissed lol

Comment

Not to stir the pot but last weekend i was on a hard trail in bb and this big awesome rig that i have no idea what it was,but i know it wasnt street legal (must have been trailered) was coming up behind me. Man after this guy went through with his v8 and 44'' tires hitting it hard and fast, the trail was just about destroyed. Man he moved more boulders in 10' then i have ever and ever will stack in a lifetime!

Comment

Some folks believe in rock plowing instead of rock crawling

Comment

Well i was at holcomb creek today at the rock garden exit/entrance and you talk about stacking lol I can prolly take my lexus on that trail now! Well after seeing that trail before it was all stacked i would not take my stocker on it! I was kinda dissapointed but like some of you say "the hard trails need to be for the built rigs" Maybe an LA lift with some small 33's wont be a bad start!

Comment

If stacking is a problem, instead of more rocks, how about less? Leave the ones that are too darn big to move and haul the little ones out. At least make 'em work for it instead of flattening the AAT's hard work. Here's a salute to all you guys do for us and our sport/hobby/addiction.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      If stacking is a problem, instead of more rocks, how about less? Leave the ones that are too darn big to move and haul the little ones out. At least make 'em work for it instead of flattening the AAT's hard work. Here's a salute to all you guys do for us and our sport/hobby/addiction.
                      Thats funny you say that! I was just thinking today of the fix,it would be to take all the rocks that can be stacked away lol

Dam on gold mountain that would really suck :-)

Comment

I'll admit to having to stack on Holcomb. I doubt it took more than six rocks to get me moving. Maybe a wire basket at the inside end of the rock garden with ten stackable rocks in it - that's it. If you need them, you're going to get out and work for it. If you need to stack more than that, you need to find another trail.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by AR5150EA View Post
                          Dam on gold mountain that would really suck :-)
                          haha, if you took all those rocks a way from Gold Mountain, it would be Gold Crater

I did take one rock with me, it got wedged in between my tire, gas tank skid, and the frame (not exactly sure how... haha!) It's bigger than it looks in that photo, hah

Last edited by daniel_buck; 07-29-12, 11:49 PM.
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Last time I did Gold Mountain I did almost get stuck. I refused to stack and eventually I caught my line. I see WAY to many people try a line, cant get a grip and just stack. LAME... If your high centered then sure I can see stacking, but if it's just to get through EASIER then your a putz.]
                            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

yep we can sit here all day and tell the truth! Your all right! Dam that is a big rock you caught lol

Comment

Working...
                              X