Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
    No I have not. That might be an interesting run. We like to run trails that particularly have some points of interest to see i.e. mines, historic old town sites, I know this sounds weird, but old grave sites, and whatever else that might be a part of the old history of California. Afton canyon definitely has all of that. I love the challenge of wheelin and the history, my wife loves the history tour that we find with wheelin, so it works for the both of us.
    I want to take a trip out to Baker and run some trials off 127 to the north. I hear there are tons of old mines and things to see out there. Might be a few weeks, but I will post up if we do.
    Yep, I was thinking there might be some mines out that way also. Because this is kinda off the beaten path it would be best as a multiple jeep trip.

The area out of baker sounds interesting. I noticed a lot of mines out there on my map. The desert is going to start heating up pretty soon. When that happens I'll be exploring the higher elevations. Jeeping in the Mammoth area is on my to do list for this Summer. Last year we trailered two jeeps up to Bridgeport and explored the Mountains around Bodie. We went West into the Sierras a good distance also. That was a neat trip.
    Last edited by Gary; 04-21-10, 09:53 AM. Reason: Just fixing a spelling error

Comment

Here are some of our pics and videos. It was a great day to be out somewhere new and see some of the spectacular views of mother nature. We are excited to get back out there soon and see what we probably missed the first time.
      We will post when that might be if anyone is interested.
      We are always interested in exploring and have not been up there yet,so if ya want company let us know
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Gary,
        the area around baker and to the north, and also north of baker west of Dumont is some really great areas. I have been shown where some of the old Sure Cabins are out in Sheep Creek Canyon and quite a few mines as well.
        Summer is coming, and Im not really fond of jeepin in 120 degrees, but on the mild days we will do some exploring.

Dennis,
        Im working out a possible trip out to either Afton or Baker in 2 weeks probably on a Sat. Have to see what the wife wants to do and if we can get a kid sitter for the day.
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

We had some friends go through Afton not too long ago and it seems the rangers are clamping down on OHV's going through the canyon. Plated vehicles only.

Beautiful area though, we go a couple of times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggs View Post
            We had some friends go through Afton not too long ago and it seems the rangers are clamping down on OHV's going through the canyon. Plated vehicles only.

Beautiful area though, we go a couple of times a year.
            Yeah Buggs, on one of my trips out there they stopped us and check us out. It was a ranger and a RR cop. They were saying to many people are getting to close to the tracks. They said one guy with a whip flag stopped under a trussel and the engineer seen it and had to make an emercency stop. They were saying a Emergency stop can easily derail a train. They also said a woman on a quad was on the tracks and bailed off when she seen the train comming. Train hit the quad and sent it flying. It probably won't be long before they decide fence the Canyon off completely?

Comment

Gary,
              the area around baker and to the north, and also north of baker west of Dumont is some really great areas. I have been shown where some of the old Sure Cabins are out in Sheep Creek Canyon and quite a few mines as well.
              Summer is coming, and Im not really fond of jeepin in 120 degrees, but on the mild days we will do some exploring.

Dennis,
              Im working out a possible trip out to either Afton or Baker in 2 weeks probably on a Sat. Have to see what the wife wants to do and if we can get a kid sitter for the day.
              Cool,let us know when,I'm on call every 3rd week,we would like to see this area.
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

No problem. I will post as I get it sorted out.
                Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I wanna go to Afton cyn.
                  But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Sounds like quite a few of you guys got the itch to go play in the canyon. I will be talking it over with the misses tonight when she comes home work (crossing fingers). We definitely have much more to see out there than what we saw.

Comment

Changed my avatar to the pic of my last run through Afton... definitely a lot more there for me to discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggs View Post
                        Changed my avatar to the pic of my last run through Afton... definitely a lot more there for me to discover.
                        Looks all too familar, and yes, there is alot of things to see. I found a site that has a topo with about 13 or more points of interest. Most are right in the canyon floor or close to the river, with a few up in some remote spur canyons.
                        Now its just finding a weekend that works for everyone.

Comment

May 15 doesn't work for me, First aid and cpr training . i think anything else is open.:2:
                          Rich.:gun:
                          But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Originally posted by 4rheel View Post
                            May 15 doesn't work for me, First aid and cpr training . i think anything else is open.:2:
                            Rich.:gun:
                            You taking it in San Bernardino @ red cross? I took mine there.

Comment

Working...
                            X