Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Afton Canyon run

My family and I decided to take a day trip through Afton Canyon at the last min yesterday. As I have never been through there I thought we would take it easy and not try anything to difficult. Much to my suprise, it wasn't too difficult. The weather was perfect and the scenery was spectacluar. I took our 76' cherokee...which was the first real trail trip for it since we got it, and glad I did. At the first major water crossing just pass the camp grounds we came up on a jeep yj that was stuck in the middle. With water up to the top of his wheel wells and not looking like he was going to make it out unassisted, I offered a pull out with the winch. After pulling him to dry ground, the driver informed me that he had already been across it 2 twice successfully earlier that same day but had been stuck this time for about an hr or so. We decided not to cross the river there and go try to find somewhere else to cross. We came back to that crossing about 10 min later only to find the same yj stuck again in virtually the same spot. My wife couldnt understand why someone would try it again, but never the less, I pulled him out again. By this time a few other jeeps had come through and made it across. So with that in mind, I decided to attempt it. The beast didnt miss a beat as we made it through without issues. The yj guy decided that he would attempt it one more time but now he had a large crowd for an audience. As he entered in at the far side, I could tell the outcome wasn't going to be good. As he hit the pot hole in the middle, he let off the skinny pedal and all momentum came to a sudden stop. Once again, the recovery cable goes out, and to dry land it comes.
    Now, I am all for not giving up, but when is enough, enough?
    Anyways, my only thought is, why would anyone cross such a spot without a recovery system? Yes jeeps can just about go anywhere, but seriously, people shouldn't take it literal. Fortunately for this yj guy, there were people out on the trail yesterday with recovery systems, otherwise, that would have been a long hike to get assistance.
    Just my :2:
    Back to the trail run, we noticed a mine on the south side of the canyon far up on the side past the area where you go under the train bridge. Anyone know what mine that is? We are going to go back hopefully in a few weeks to attempt to get up to it.
    I will post some pics later tonight showing our trip.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Kirk,

Sounds like the guy is a slow learner.....

The mine that you are asking about is the "Arbuckle Mine". At the top of the tramway a large timber has "Arbuckle Mine 1894" carved into it. No tunnels up there just a glory hole where the minerals were mined from the surface.

In later years it was known as the "Cliffside Mine". Magnesite was mined and reansported across the river via an aerial tramway to a railroad siding. The remains of a mining camp are just west of the base of the cliff.

Happy hunting.

Mitch

Comment

Kirk, now that it looks like you may be hooked on the area, you should buy Dennis Casebier's book on the Mojave Road:

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html

The book discusses the interesting and historical points of interest along the Mojave Road from the Colorado River to Fort Cady, near Barstow. There is only a bit you can go between Afton Canyon and Fort Cady, but you would enjoy it.

His group put rock cairns along the road and the book follows those. He uses mileage from the River to keep you on track.

Our club (On the Rocks) did this run from the River two weeks ago and it is a really fun trip. The Victor Valley 4 Wheelers also did the trip the same weekend.

You were much more patient than I would have been with the guy in the water. It was deep when we were there also.
      Rich

Comment

Sounds like the water might be a little higher than it was in January when I crossed it? Must be the snow melt. Is this the spot where the guy was getting stuck at? At another crossing when I was out there a landcruiser drowned his engine. He had a old points distributor and no extra points with him. Might be fun just to go back out and watch people try to cross it this weekend.

Comment

yup...thats the spot. That pic kinda looks like the same depth as yesterday. I think it was about 6 inches less yesterday...just judging by that pic. It definitely is a great spot to kick back on a busy weekend and watch.
          Needless to say, didnt stay long to watch others go across as we had other things to see.
          Last edited by kirkandsylvia; 04-19-10, 07:58 PM.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
            Kirk, now that it looks like you may be hooked on the area, you should buy Dennis Casebier's book on the Mojave Road:

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html

The book discusses the interesting and historical points of interest along the Mojave Road from the Colorado River to Fort Cady, near Barstow. There is only a bit you can go between Afton Canyon and Fort Cady, but you would enjoy it.

His group put rock cairns along the road and the book follows those. He uses mileage from the River to keep you on track.

Our club (On the Rocks) did this run from the River two weeks ago and it is a really fun trip. The Victor Valley 4 Wheelers also did the trip the same weekend.

You were much more patient than I would have been with the guy in the water. It was deep when we were there also.
            Yes in fact, we are some what hooked on this area. I believe the next time we have a free weekend without kids, we are going to tent camp it. I will be on the lookout for that book. Sounds like a great way to see the area and all the sites that come with it.

And yes, I was really trying to be as patient as possible. We were there for about 2 hrs...or at least it seemed. But in the same token, I hope the favor would be returned if I was in the same predicament. Although, I dont think I would have tried as many times.

Comment

IMO they really need to do something about that crossing. It totally ruined a ride to Laughlin I went on after 2/3rds of the bikes got swamped in it and we lost the whole day trying to get them running, fluids changed etc. There is no legal route around it.

They either need to make it longer and wider so it's not so deep or build a bypass.

Comment

A few of us, Victor Valley 4 Wheelers, came through Afton Canyon a couple of weeks ago as we finished the Mojave Road. Someone in a Baja Bug tried to follow us.......he did not make it. He had to be towed out and he had to open the doors to drain the water.
                Last edited by DirtBall89; 04-19-10, 08:34 PM. Reason: Adding Text
                Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Thats my father in laws baja. We did the mojave trail weekend before last and kept running into the VV4Wheelers all 3 days. Other than the water crossing the bug made it everyone without a problem. It did take a while to dry out inside though. Had a great trip and would like to expore afton canyon some more.

Comment

Here are some of our pics and videos. It was a great day to be out somewhere new and see some of the spectacular views of mother nature. We are excited to get back out there soon and see what we probably missed the first time.
                    We will post when that might be if anyone is interested.

http://s1016.photobucket.com/home/1rockcrawler/index

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                      IMO they really need to do something about that crossing. It totally ruined a ride to Laughlin I went on after 2/3rds of the bikes got swamped in it and we lost the whole day trying to get them running, fluids changed etc. There is no legal route around it.

They either need to make it longer and wider so it's not so deep or build a bypass.
                      A guy at worked today said the same thing. I just think a bypass for those not wanting to swamp their rides would be ok, but not change the crossing itself. Thats part of the challenge of trails and runs....man against nature...or in this case...machine against nature at the hands of man.

Funny thing is...a guy at work witnessed a Pontiac Mini van cross it...and made it. I guess some people have all the luck going with them. I will have to see if he has any pics of that.
                      Last edited by kirkandsylvia; 04-19-10, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                        Kirk,

Sounds like the guy is a slow learner.....

The mine that you are asking about is the "Arbuckle Mine". At the top of the tramway a large timber has "Arbuckle Mine 1894" carved into it. No tunnels up there just a glory hole where the minerals were mined from the surface.

In later years it was known as the "Cliffside Mine". Magnesite was mined and reansported across the river via an aerial tramway to a railroad siding. The remains of a mining camp are just west of the base of the cliff.

Happy hunting.

Mitch
                        Mitch,
                        A very slow learner I would agree.

Thanks for the info on the mine. Now that I have had moment to zoom in on a couple of the pics we took, I can see the what you are refering to. I think we are still going to try to hike up to that spot to get some pis of the timbers and engravings, and of course, the view from up there should be with out a doubt, excellent.

Comment

You should of came out and camped with us. Would of shown you around, Kevin.

Comment

At this crossing I cross on the upstream side. There is a pot hole/channel about mid way and I think the down stream side is eroding.

Not sure if it's still there? but there was a decent sized boulder about mid way that was getting kicked side to side as people pass back and forth.

Comment

yes,,,the pot hole is still there. The YJ guy did hit it on third attempt. I believe I went through it as well, but in my 76' beast, it really didnt affect it. I didnt see any boulder making its presence know. It might be off to the side. The down stream side does appear to be a little deeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X