Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
    You should of came out and camped with us. Would of shown you around, Kevin.
    That would have been fun. We didnt even know we were going till Sun morning when the wife said "hey lets go look for Bonnie Keeblers grave site in Afton Canyon". Didnt have to twist my arm... :gun:...all over that trip. I have been itchin to get the cherokee out on a good trail run.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I wana go wade in the water with my jeep!!!
      What fun !

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
        That would have been fun. We didnt even know we were going till Sun morning when the wife said "hey lets go look for Bonnie Keeblers grave site in Afton Canyon". Didnt have to twist my arm... :gun:...all over that trip. I have been itchin to get the cherokee out on a good trail run.
        Bonnie keeblers grave is on the other side of the 15. I stumbled across it when i was out prospecting. I've been to the north side of the freeway twice now. The second time just a few weeks ago I turned off in the wash before Bonnies grave and went North. I followed the wash until it spanned out into the desert. From there i had to make my own trail. I contiued East to Croness dry lake. Then I ran into the trail leading back to Basin and the 15.

It wasn't a smart move with just the one jeep. I started to get a little nervouse. My Brother kept asking for a bottle of water and I kept telling him no, not until I find a road/trail. Worried if we broke down I'd have to rashin it. LOL

Comment

yeah.. to our disapointment, we did not find it. A guy here at work showed me on a map where to find it..better late than never.
          The desert seems so tame till you are out in it by yourself...not so tame. After traveling Afton this weekend, we found ourselves kinda on the lonesome side out towards the trail that leads back to 15 and Razor exit. Since I had not been out there before, I was feeling a slight bit nervous myself. With GPS in hand, it wasnt too bad not to mention the occasional jeep passing by from time to time, and I know I was within walking distance to the 15 in worse case senario. Probably look for peeps to go that adventure again though.
          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

KIRT I just ordered the 4th editon mojave road guide from desert usa 19.95 check it out

Comment

sorry kurt

Comment

I ll look into that book. It sounds like alot of great info about the local area.

Comment

yeah.. to our disapointment, we did not find it. A guy here at work showed me on a map where to find it..better late than never.
                  The desert seems so tame till you are out in it by yourself...not so tame. After traveling Afton this weekend, we found ourselves kinda on the lonesome side out towards the trail that leads back to 15 and Razor exit. Since I had not been out there before, I was feeling a slight bit nervous myself. With GPS in hand, it wasnt too bad not to mention the occasional jeep passing by from time to time, and I know I was within walking distance to the 15 in worse case senario. Probably look for peeps to go that adventure again though.
                  Let me know when your going. My Brother and I are in the jeep heading somewhere every Saturday Morning.

Have you ever ran between Ludlow and Basin Rd? It looks like it might be interesting on the map? I don't know if it's a marked trail but I seen some 4 wheelers leave Ludlow and head that way awhile back.

Comment

I'm not going to lecture anybody, but the desert is an unforgiving place. If your not in shape, and most are not, if you give the desert half a chance, it will do it's best to kill you. In the Cruiser I carry 5 gals extra gas, jackets, tent , tools, parts, and over 6 gal. of water, and MRE's. Knives, gun. When I go out by myself I let someone know where I'm going, and plan that I may be spending the night. If things don't work the way there suppose to. The weather can go from the 80's to the next couple of days to 120. Please always plan for the unthinkable. Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      Let me know when your going. My Brother and I are in the jeep heading somewhere every Saturday Morning.

Have you ever ran between Ludlow and Basin Rd? It looks like it might be interesting on the map? I don't know if it's a marked trail but I seen some 4 wheelers leave Ludlow and head that way awhile back.
                      No I have not. That might be an interesting run. We like to run trails that particularly have some points of interest to see i.e. mines, historic old town sites, I know this sounds weird, but old grave sites, and whatever else that might be a part of the old history of California. Afton canyon definitely has all of that. I love the challenge of wheelin and the history, my wife loves the history tour that we find with wheelin, so it works for the both of us.
                      I want to take a trip out to Baker and run some trials off 127 to the north. I hear there are tons of old mines and things to see out there. Might be a few weeks, but I will post up if we do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                        I'm not going to lecture anybody, but the desert is an unforgiving place. If your not in shape, and most are not, if you give the desert half a chance, it will do it's best to kill you. In the Cruiser I carry 5 gals extra gas, jackets, tent , tools, parts, and over 6 gal. of water, and MRE's. Knives, gun. When I go out by myself I let someone know where I'm going, and plan that I may be spending the night. If things don't work the way there suppose to. The weather can go from the 80's to the next couple of days to 120. Please always plan for the unthinkable. Kevin.
                        Ditto. I have spent many days out in the deserts of Baja south of Mexicali clear down to La Paz prerunning races. Always the fear of the unknown is the forethought and the survival gear is sure to be on hand. If by ourselves, a plan of our trips is given to close friends or family and the projected time to be returning. I have been known to dwell on the route and trying to plan an escape plan so to say in the unlikely event things go south. With that being said, we have been successfull in finishing our trips.

Thank you for the advice as that is always welcome in my book.

Comment

Kirk,

That's Kevins way of saying he is well equiped and that we should go out Jeeping with him! Good points Kevin.

Roger or Dave(flatpoint) are my safety nets. I always let one of them know where I'm going if I'm alone. Locations and GPS#'s. My neighbor Rick knows that I fly the flag on the front gate post when I'm Jeeping and if it is still out at dark he knows to call me.

Kirk, sounds like a good area to explore.

Mitch

Comment

Ditto. I have spent many days out in the deserts of Baja south of Mexicali clear down to La Paz prerunning races. Always the fear of the unknown is the forethought and the survival gear is sure to be on hand. If by ourselves, a plan of our trips is given to close friends or family and the projected time to be returning. I have been known to dwell on the route and trying to plan an escape plan so to say in the unlikely event things go south. With that being said, we have been successfull in finishing our trips.

Thank you for the advice as that is always welcome in my book.
                            When we went to Moab last year, it was July, and we stopped at the Grand Canyon. What a sight. The wife had never been there. People were hiking down, it was in the 90's. According to the ranger, they resue a lot of people because they don't realize that it gets hotter as they're going down. Plus its easier going down. They start off with a liter bottle of water drinking as they go. They get down so far then realize that they bit off more than they can chew, then turn around to come back. But guess what, now your climbing up the hill, and the water is almost gone. I forget the numbers, but the rangers stay busy saving people from themselves, Kevin.

Comment

in the old days, that water crossing was nothing but mud and tules.....too easy today
                              you took your fan belt off and full throttle trying to get through it..sometimes you made it, sometimes not.
                              your tires would gum up from the mud
                              Not a lot of fun to hook up the strap in knee deep gumbo, stinking black mud...oh,the good ole days...

Comment

1 Bad F N Z, Great post.

Your right the desert can be very unforgiving. A post like yours can never be posted enough. It should be in huge bold print on every off road forum.

We always make sure someone knows where we're going and we carry a lot of tools, extra gas, food & water The last thing this fat boy wants is to be walking in a 120 degree heat with no water or survival gear. .

If we're out there with just the one jeep we never go further out than we're prepared to hike back out. I've actually been conditioning myself for a worst case scenario like this. While jogging on the tread mill I kick my right foot up every so often. My right foot is one of my motivational tools for anyone with me that tries to give up in a situation like this.

All of the solo trips we take by ourselves are planned to keep us close to major highways. We always know exactly where we're at. Going into the desert unprepared can cost a person his or her life.
                                Last edited by Gary; 04-21-10, 09:54 AM. Reason: Spell checking

Comment

Working...
                                X