Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
    I am going with a Satelite phone.
    Last year while climbing White Mtn, east of Bishop, there was a lady that sat in her car, making a phone call. I think it was through OnStar. I was thinking how handy that would be, considering if someone got hurt on the Mtn, you still had a 1.5 hour drive to cell coverage.

Comment

Does anyone know if that Cher. was the first veh. to fall off chicken rock? I did the "loop" in late May with a friend who was driving a stock LJ. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how that could happen. Sure, pucker factor....but very doable. Has anyone talked to the woman who rolled it? What happened?
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Comment

That is just crazy!

They are all luckey to be alive,IMO.....
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            ... if there were enough people here in the Victorvalley area, I might be willing to hold an emergency communications class.

Roger, we don't live in the Victorvalley area, but would be willing to drive up for your class.

Before we get there though... Could you or someone make some recommendations about the equipment we would need? What is the best or highly recommended radio to buy? I know you need a license... is there a class you can take for that? Where do we go to get the license? Any information would be really helpful... Thanks!

Seeing the pictures and videos... Someone had a guardian angel watching over her that night! That was a crazy cliff to have rolled down!
            Regards,
            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
              ...Before we get there though... Could you or someone make some recommendations about the equipment we would need? What is the best or highly recommended radio to buy? I know you need a license... is there a class you can take for that? Where do we go to get the license? Any information would be really helpful... Thanks!

Before anyone flames me... I just did the old trusty search on MJR... Found a really good thread that helps to answer many of my questions...

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14226
              Regards,
              Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

I am purchasing Yaesu FT8800R mobile unit myself. It is 50/45 watts and has all the feature I would need. The hand helds are limited to 5 watts. While it makes sence to have both a hand held and mobile for relayin information. I really want the power of the mobile unit. So I'll still have my CB Limited to 4 watts and now my mobile ham limted to 50 watts.

Look at hamcity.com

Comment

Originally posted by cweed View Post
                  I am purchasing Yaesu FT8800R mobile unit myself. It is 50/45 watts and has all the feature I would need. The hand helds are limited to 5 watts. While it makes sence to have both a hand held and mobile for relayin information. I really want the power of the mobile unit. So I'll still have my CB Limited to 4 watts and now my mobile ham limted to 50 watts.

Look at hamcity.com

Good Choice. For emergency communications, the more watts the better. Also get a high gain mobile antenna. I need to upgrade from a glass mount antenna. It sucks.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Randy,

If you or Carmen get scared just call me. I'll always take your call! As you kids say, "you got my digit's". Miss you both on the trail.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      Randy,

If you or Carmen get scared just call me. I'll always take your call! As you kids say, "you got my digit's". Miss you both on the trail.

Mitch
                      Thanks Mitch! We feel safer and more secure already! As soon as the Red CJ is back on the road, we will let you lead us around Bullfrog, Cakewalk, and HammerDown... How's that sound?
                      Regards,
                      Randy

Comment

I just got my ham ticket a couple months ago. I bought a Kenwood TM-271a. It is a nice radio and it is really simple to use. But now I am wishing I would have spent the extra coin on the Yeasu FT8900. The number one feature my Kenwood is lacking is the 70cm band. It is 2m only. Also I would have really liked to have the cross band repeat that the FT8900 has. I am not entirely disappointed because this Kenwood will be a sturdy easy to use unit for the wife to use either in the house or in her 4runner.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                        X