Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Panamint Valley Days

The annual Panamint Valley Days event is sponsored by the Southern District of the California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, and is one of the premier four wheeling events in Southern California. It will be held in Panamint Valley near Trona and Ridgecrest beginning Friday, November 13. There will be runs for all vehicles and driver levels, camping, meals, and a large drawing. All proceeds benefit CA4WDC. Registration is closed, but you can register on-site.
    http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?o...=63&Itemid=152

I will be attending along with a few MJR "regulars". We will set up camp about 1/4 mile or so west of the registration tent.
    N36 07 43.8 W117 20 41.1
    Come and look for us. If we are lucky, we might get Al Spires (Igofshn) to share some of his dutch oven desserts with us.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

We will have our club banner out. "Hanford Trail Busters"
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

We will be there as well.. Not sure where we are camping yet.
      "There are two primary choices in life, to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

Denis Waitley

Comment

It will be COLD. The daytime highs will be in the 50s - low 60s. The forecast for Saturday night is for a low of 38 degrees, with 10-15 mph winds from the north.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by rexr View Post
          We will be there as well.. Not sure where we are camping yet.

Its been a year already!

Have fun. I'm working this weekend.

Comment

It was an absolutely fantastic event once again this year. The weather was perfect other than a little wind on Thursday evening. The fighter pilots kept us entertained throughout the weekend as well as some great runs.

There was one mishap during the weekend however I don't think that it was part of an official run. A lady rolled a Cherokee off of Chicken Corner. From the little I know she was driving up the hill and somehow got the Jeep on its side and rolled over the edge. She and two passengers were airlifted out that evening and were banged up but are ok.. Her club extracted the Jeep on Sunday. It was quite a site but they did a great job getting the Jeep out of the ravine and back into camp safely.

Can't wait for next years event.
            "There are two primary choices in life, to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

Denis Waitley

Comment

Just don't let Geebo know about the Chicken Corner incident!!!

Comment

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Ya see!!! Thats why I got outta my jeep an walked that distance, til I was past that little bridge..Damn I knew that was gonna happen..Very scary..I know I know I,m a sissy...but my jeep is safe..lol.
                  "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

having never been there, I googled the trail where this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQS4q...layer_embedded

the bridge is about 2:47 in.

I sure hope the driver and passenger are doing okay.

Tam
                    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Marsha the driver, her son Tim and my son Tyler are all doing well. We have all three home and resting. Marsha, has to have some surgery on her thumb and hand which was smashed in the roll over and has a number of staples in her head from the 4-6" cut. Thanks to all that responded to our calls that night and thank you to George, Mike, Tim, Jon, Gunner, and all the others that helped us recover her jeep. You guy's really went above and beyond.

Once again Thank you all.

Comment

It was someone from my club that rolled. She is doing fine. out of the hospital. The 2 kids and 2 dogs walked away bruised but ok and scared.

We got the Jeep back on its wheels and started it up. i drove it out of the canyon with help from a couple winches.

this trail is not a difficult trail. It is a stock Jeep Trail. This corner is not a dangerous corner if you pay attention. She got scared and panicked, went too fast instead of stopping and drove into the hill. The Jeep flipped on its side and continued down the cliff.

Lessons learned from this.

Always have a sat phone or hf radio available. do not rely on CB and cell coverage.

Do not skimp on a first aid kit. the $10 one at walmart does not cut it.

If there is a possibility of trouble, stop and use a spotter.

Do not rely on rescue services in these instances. Rescue would not go into the canyon to get her. Our club had to use the back seat as a back board and carry her out so they could get her to a vehicle. Trona Fire would not respond, it was out of their district. Park service would not take their 4x4 off road.

Park Service is only worried about getting the vehicle out of the canyon, not the condition of the occupents. They kept asking, when are you going to get this out of the canyon?? Will it be out by Monday??
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Where did the Cherokee roll? There is no way it rolled off chicken rock unless it was at the very end. In which case they are very forturate. It's a straight drop down well over 500 ft. I hope they are OK. I drove it once...and that's enough for me.:hide:
                          Check out .

Comment

The accident happened on Friday afternoon to a club member.
                            She was airlifted out friday night about midnight after being taken down the hill in a truck.
                            We extracted the jeep on Sat.

She is home and healing now.
                            The two kids in the jeep got an ambulance ride to Ridgecrest for a checkup and released that night.

Her husband drove to Riverside on Sat to the hospital she was airlifted to.
                            He spent the weekend there, and the rest of the club got his motorhome and other jeep home for them.

More to follow.

Todd
                            Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                            Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

WOW. Is this why you don't like shelf roads Mitch? I think I might agree with you. That looks harry.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X