Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing that I carry is the SPOT. http://www.findmespot.com/en/ which is a personal emergency locator that uses satellites. I allows you to set up a personal rescue team, basically a preset list of friends that will get a text message and or email saying you need help and your GPS location. It also has a 911 button that allows you to call for Emergency Rescue Service.
    This only works if someone is monitoring the area. someone had one and it was activated. It did not make a difference. Nobody responded. If it worked the same as an ELT on an aircraft, then it would be a good thing. Aircraft ELT's are emmediatly received either by satelite or vhf radio and researched. As an Air Traffic Controller, we monitor the frequency 121.5 all the time and so do all other ATC facilities. The Air Force monitors the satelites.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

That is very disappointing to hear. Being a one way messaging device I want to know that when I hit the 911 button someone is on the way. Otherwise what is the point? I think this has cured me of the desire to buy one. I would hate to need to hit the button and wait for a few hours to see if it worked.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

You would be better served with a satelite phone that is charge by the minute only.
        Last edited by igofshn; 11-19-09, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
          This only works if someone is monitoring the area. someone had one and it was activated. It did not make a difference. Nobody responded. If it worked the same as an ELT on an aircraft, then it would be a good thing. Aircraft ELT's are emmediatly received either by satelite or vhf radio and researched. As an Air Traffic Controller, we monitor the frequency 121.5 all the time and so do all other ATC facilities. The Air Force monitors the satelites.
          I'm confused. I thought the whole point of the device was that if you pushed the 911 button it relayed your location back to the SPOT headquarters which then in turn notified the local authorities in that area. Is that not the case?
          "There are two primary choices in life, to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

Denis Waitley

Comment

I think I will be looking into a 406MHz beacon instead of the spot. They are a little more pricy but there is no service to pay for every year.

----This or one like it is on my Christmas list
            http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...52&classNum=53
            Last edited by OU812; 11-19-09, 12:10 PM.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
              Originally posted by rexr View Post
              I'm confused. I thought the whole point of the device was that if you pushed the 911 button it relayed your location back to the SPOT headquarters which then in turn notified the local authorities in that area. Is that not the case?
              I have a SPOT. I would like to know more facts about the SPOT being activated and no one responding.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Today I have been looking around at reviews and some other forums that comment on the SPOT. Here is one review that I think sums it up. I think that the problem is more likely that the 911 transmission from the spot never reached the satellites.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-9839898-23.html
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

What were the CHP officers Driving? That'a a pretty rough trail coming up from the valley floor to Chicken corner.

In every emergency situation, communications is the biggest reason for failure.

If your club goes to Ham radios, which I recommend they should, invite someone from a local SAR team, a RACES team, or some group like that come some club meetings a give classes in emergency communications proccedures. It will make a huge difference during an emergency incident.

I just thought of something, if there were enough people here in the Victorvalley area, I might be willing to hold an emergency communications class.
                  Last edited by Roger; 11-19-09, 05:50 PM. Reason: I had an ephiney :D
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

I'm glad to hear that the outcome was not as bad as most of us that have driven around that corner would have expected.

My thoughts and prayers go out for the driver's recovery after surgery.

Chicken Corner is one of the most nerve racking things I've ever driven over. I will drive over it again someday as long as I have a spotter. I think I would chance it solo if I was driving up it, because I could see my cliffside front wheel. Having my cliffside front wheel on the passenger side of the Jeep amplified the pucker for me.

Christian
                    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by rexr View Post
                      911 was pushed. NO RESPONSE.

Comment

have a SPOT. I would like to know more facts about the SPOT being activated and no one responding.
                        False sense of security. Someone there had a SPOT activated 911 and there was no response from anyone reference this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          What were the CHP officers Driving? That'a a pretty rough trail coming up from the valley floor to Chicken corner.

In every emergency situation, communications is the biggest reason for failure.

If your club goes to Ham radios, which I recommend they should, invite someone from a local SAR team, a RACES team, or some group like that come some club meetings a give classes in emergency communications proccedures. It will make a huge difference during an emergency incident.

I just thought of something, if there were enough people here in the Victorvalley area, I might be willing to hold an emergency communications class.

They rode in a 1 ton dually that was owned by one of our friends. The trail up to there is not difficult. Stock vehicles do it all the time. It just ahs some tight switch backs and no guard rail to protect the canyon.

I am going with a Satelite phone.

Comment

There is a new version of the SPOT that has two significant changes. One it has button covers for the 911 button and also the I need help button. The second is a transmission confirmation light. This should be extremely valuable to SPOT owners. With a devise that only successfully delivers 80% of transmission. Now when you hit the 911 button you can be positive that the message got thru. In this case I would be calling SPOT and asking if they received my 911 transmission.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                              Today I have been looking around at reviews and some other forums that comment on the SPOT. Here is one review that I think sums it up. I think that the problem is more likely that the 911 transmission from the spot never reached the satellites.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-9839898-23.html
                              Good article. If it doesn't hit the satelites, it doesn't work. Again a false sense of security. Without someway of knowing your signal was received, you could be lost forever. I personally would not rely on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                                I live in the Victor Valley area, and would be interested.
                                Glad she's doing okay! I saw the video that Tammy had the link, I too, will be a chicken and stay off!
                                We would have been at PVD, but with the new baby just couldn't make it!
                                1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                                Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Working...
                                X