Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karstic,

What is the trail like going to Burnt Flat? Heard that is rather steep. You know how scared I am! Haaa........

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      Karstic,

What is the trail like going to Burnt Flat? Heard that is rather steep. You know how scared I am! Haaa........

Mitch
      Burnt Flat Trail isn't too bad. There are some rough spots but I did it by myself last August without a second thought. I only got into 4WD once on the way down and once on the way up (same spot). I know that it is not the kind of mine that you like to find, but the view from the overlook is pretty impressive:
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Are we talking the same spot? Burnt Flat has a spring, an old apple orchard, and also the Mohawk Mine, which is an old abandoned gold mine. Your picture shows the Mitsubishi Cement Plant. Probly the same area just need to take the left fork before the lookout spot.

Mitch

Comment

Karstic,

Mitch
          We went down there in May and the trail was actually in really good shape, it looked like someone had taken a dozer down there and cleaned up the road. The road from the overlook of the cement plant down to the Mohawk Mine is a lttle steep with a sharp switchback. IIRC we had to do a three point turn in our Cherokees

MJR's Woody

Mohawk Mine
          There were some timbers below the mine and what looked like another tailings pile. This mine smelled of sulfur so we didn't proceed inside.

Comment

Yep. Seems like we are all talking about the same trail. It is 3N02 on the FS sign. I haven't driven all the way down to the Mohawk Mine. I may need to head back out that way soon.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

It sounds like there is a lot to explore in that area. Lots of history in that spot. But I don't do the Narrow trail thing.... Like it's a hint you know.

Mitch

Comment

Mike,

It sounds like there is a lot to explore in that area. Lots of history in that spot. But I don't do the Narrow trail thing.... Like it's a hint you know.

Mitch
                Mitch, the trail to the flats is pretty easy, and the road to the mine is very short and walkable as I remember it.
                In fact I parked at the first switchback and walked the rest of the way.
                mk

Comment

Mike,

When are we going? This is on my list. Ready to go.

Mitch

Comment

There some old homestead stuff in the area also.

Comment

Ironbelle....I'm the one with the revolver on his side. Why? Because we are in the wilderness. It's not so much for bad anamals, but for bad people. It is legal to carry here, and I choose to do it....for my protection and others. Hell, I carry a rifle sometimes in the desert, but that can be a little "bulky" in a mine.I've ran across some crazy people in the desert....but everyone seems to "behave" themselves when you are "armed". Look at the crime rate in AZ.......and it's "soap BOX"....not "soap DISH".
                      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

I need to explore that whole north ridge. That is an area with lots of mining history going back to 1860. Sounds like another project.

Mitch

Comment

I need to explore that whole north ridge. That is an area with lots of mining history going back to 1860. Sounds like another project.

Mitch
                          [COLOR="Blue"]You know Mitch, if you go along the foothills on the desert side, it looks like there several mines that are half way up the hill - but not accessable from the top. Check locations on the topo's
                          MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelle View Post
                            Was it really necessary for someone to have a weapon holstered to their waist?
                            yes .....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Yep. Seems like we are all talking about the same trail. It is 3N02 on the FS sign. I haven't driven all the way down to the Mohawk Mine. I may need to head back out that way soon.
                              Mike,

If you decide to go there, I'd like to tag along with you if you don't mind. I went down there in 1987 or so deer hunting. I'd like to see it again.
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X