Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Big Bear Mine Exploring

A day after Mike K filled the mountains with explorers and history buffs, I decided to do a small run in the same area. I met Kevin and Chris (1BADFNZ) in Hesperia and we headed to Lucerne. At the Valero we met up with Roger, and Dave and Julie (Flatpoint). We then headed to Cactus Flats 3N03 and met with Curtis and aired down for the journey. We headed east on 3N03 and stopped at the Judy Kay Mine for a bit. Saw 3 of the 4 mine tunnels at this location.

Then we searched and found a small mine shaft and a filled in tunnel on a small trail west of the Rose Mine Area.

Next we went to the Rose Mine and checked out one of the 300 foot adits (tunnel).

Next we stopped at the location of the hundred plus year old Rose Mine Cemetery. No head stones left just the grave area. RIP!

Next we headed east on 2N61y to the "BIG Mine". We explored for a long time inside this awesome mine. Truely amazing.

Old electric insulators for lighting

Sleeping bat

And no Kevin is not working on the Cruiser in that cool shady spot!

Next we found another arrastra that Mike K had told me about, off a small trail in the Round Valley area.

A little tippy in the V notch

Next it was off to Tip Top Mountain for a quick peak around.

Abandoned Silver mine at Tip Top / 200 foot adit (tunnel)

Round Valley area video

Awesome day guys and girls. Beautiful weather, awesome blue skys! I won't be able to get back in this area for at least anther 5 or 6 days! I'll suffer.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 08-09-09, 09:13 PM.

Wow Mitch,
    Looks like another awesome mine trip.
    Sorry I missed it.

Scott

Comment

Great run today. I think we all enjoyed the 85F degree weather! A nice relief for all us desert rats.

Mitch as usual was an excellent explorer/guide.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Mitch darn you now you had the 2 of us spelunking also lol. After cruising around the heartbear area, we met up with you guys from there we went to the one mine with the old truck off 2n61y after that we headed back and tried to find you guys again,passed your Jeep headed up TipTop mountain did a bunch of the trails there came across 2 mines there and did some hiking to the top where it looks like they had some kind of trolley thing going down the mountain back in time. Those were some cool trails Narrow with nice drop offs and great views

Comment

You Stink

Mitch-

You stink. That looks like a great trip, and I am very sorry that I had to miss it. Looks like you all had fun. Next time, I hope to see you at the "Big" mine.

-B
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Had no idea or we would have joined you! Instead we just took the Jeep around town and to the park.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]OK Mitch... here's the thing...I'll show you all of my mines if you show me your's. We need to pick a time for this. Maybe we could focus on the west side of BB sometime. I think the hidden cabin is worth at least 2 mines. If you want we can even run the John Bull trail up to the Green Horn mine that's on the rim up there.

mk[/COLOR]
              Last edited by mkjeepers; 08-09-09, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Great time as always! That was some tungsten mine! How long did it take you to dig that one Mitch? Julie had a great time too, thanks everyone.
                :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Art,

We saw you and Fred take the high trail at Tip Top. We took the low road and found the one silver mine. Was the trail the same going to the right (Up). I need to explore that direction also. Tip Top Mountain was very different in the area in that it was a silver mine and not gold. I'll be driving there again in a few days. Good to see you guy's.

Mitch

Comment

Too slow on my post....

Mike,

I can find the log cabin, I'll trade you a couple for the mines a little further west, you know the ones that I want! It's all good! Thanks for all of the info, you have sources that I know nothing about and a passion that I'd like to be able to match one day. If we could only jump back in time 50 years! Thanks for the assistance. And you know we can hook up on the trail anytime.

Mitch

Comment

Here's a little video from my camera of the inside of the BIG MINE.

Mitch

Comment

Looks like another great trip. Thanks for sharing it.
                        Check out .

Comment

Art,

Is the main trail to the right full width? I'd like to go that direction and maybe park and hike to the mines. The trail up 2N90 will be my adventure limit. Are the 2 mines on the first small side trail that goes right and to the south edge over looking Rose Mine? Looks like it's less than a 1/4 mile. No narrow drop off trails for me!

Mitch

Comment

Hey Mitch,
                            excellent video footage. That mine looks like it has a lot of things to look at. Right up our alley. We havent been spelunking at all this yr and we are definitely ready for it. Hopefully on the next trip you plan.:thumbs_up
                            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Mitch,

You went up Tip Top Mtn and I wasn't there to see it??!!!
                              I'm Bummed we missed this one! Lesa would have loved that "Big Mine"! Maybe next time!

Scott
                              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Working...
                              X