Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
    The factory tow points will do the work.

Visit "The Radio Shop" in Ontario, Ca. They'll hook you up with a radio real nice.
    I'll also recommend the guys at The Radio Shop in Ontario.

At Fry's Electronics, I bought my radio and an 18' coaxial cable (just the right length for my CJ-8). I got the inexpensive Uniden Pro520XL for $44 and have been very happy with it, so far, for what we do. I got a tail light mount for the antenna from a fellow MJR member. I'm not sure if they carry this radio at The Radio Shop, since I don't think it's a big seller amongst the truckers.

I put the radio in myself and used a cigarette lighter plug from Radio Shack for power and easy removal of the unit. I then ran the coax where I wanted it to go and took it to The Radio Shop for an antenna and antenna tune. Their prices were very reasonable.

By the way, the SWR meter I got at Fry's was worthless. The meter that they use at The Radio Shop was much more accurate and letting them do the work saved me having to spend $400 to get one like it.

I started with a 4' Firestick antenna and after that antenna disappeared off of the back of my Jeep, I went back and got a 4' Wilson from them. I have not been able to tell the difference and they tuned up with about the same SWR readings.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

For the really new guys something to deflate and inflate the tires is pretty essential other than that come on out and have fun, looks like this will be a very cool get together

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        Blame me for bringing up rock lights. No they are not nessisary.

Comment

Well go. But, We will be there around 5-5:15pm if that's ok?

Scott (Dezertdog), what time are you leaving? I am thinking around 4:30-4:40pm

Comment

i get off work at 4 pm, home by 445 ish.. load up real fast and head up. be there about 540 max..i'll be on channel 20. how about instead of taking the cleghorn off ramp we meet at the 138 gas station and then head east on 138 to the trail head that takes us right to the notch? save's everyone some time.
            Last edited by brokenujoint; 07-10-09, 07:48 AM.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

You know, for those that run late there is the staging area on the 138 from there you can go to the split in the trail where the first side trail starts.
              After some peeps play at the Utility tower at the one hill that would probably make a perfect meet time.
              That sound do able for the folks that run late?
              I doubt we would leave from the freeway before 5.15 or 5.30

Comment

Ok, sign me up for this one. This will be my first time heading out with the MJR crew !! I look forward to learning from you experienced Jeepers !! Heck, I might even make a night out it and rent a cabin or pitch a tent in Crestline. I am looking forward to this !

- Kurt
                Kurt T.
                94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  For the really new guys something to deflate and inflate the tires is pretty essential other than that come on out and have fun, looks like this will be a very cool get together
                  I've got a little air compressor that plugs into the cig lighter. Not sure if that will do. I figure I can deflate with the tit on the back of the pressure gauge. Am I missing anything?

Comment

Nope you are good

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Sounds fun. Might be able to make it.
                      MK[/COLOR]
                      Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-09-09, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'll be there. I've done this trail several times. Day and Night. i know this whole trail in the back of my head. but it will be nice to actually have a group to go with. i always go by myself. just make sure you have a air compressor. 50 bucks at harbor. 12v air compressor. works great.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          You know, for those that run late there is the staging area on the 138 from there you can go to the split in the trail where the first side trail starts.
                          After some peeps play at the Utility tower at the one hill that would probably make a perfect meet time.
                          That sound do able for the folks that run late?
                          I doubt we would leave from the freeway before 5.15 or 5.30
                          Ok. Good.

Comment

AW, I am sure we can get someone to do a pick up run bringing up the rear with late arrivals around 5:30, 5:45 ish
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Channel 20 the channel were using?

Comment

Is there a sign up sheet since it looks like a few are going? Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X