Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Eastern Sierra's Trek

[COLOR="Blue"]I had a couple of days off in between jobs, so the boys and I decided to do an over-nighter to the Eastern Sierra's. There were a few trails we've been wanting to check out.

This ended up being a very successful run. We started in Lone Pine and went up as far as Bridgeport.

The trails were:
    - Reward Mine - (the mine to beat all mines)
    - Coyote Flats Trail
    - Copper Mt. Loop Trail
    - Dunderburg Lake Trail
    - Summer's Meadow Trail
    - Tamarack Mine Trail
    - Lundy Lake
    - McGee Peak Trail
    All trails have an A+ rating. (IMO)

This was a great backcountry adventure getting off of the main roads and going back into the interior of the Sierra's. The only breakage was 3 rootbeer bottles all over the floor....BTW don't open the bottles above 10,000 ft...you'll have to clean sticky off the roof, seats and your face. Total 3 1/2 rootbeers.

Since it's vacation season, these trails might be an alternative to HIKEING in the Sierra's.

I can PM you locations.

BTW the McGee Peak trail has a "extreame caution warning"........you need to turn around at the 2 mile mark from the start of the switchbacks or face the risk of getting stranded. We turned around at 2 1/4 miles, and I'm still shaking. One leg of the switchbacks narrows greatly and is at a 20 degree off camber (to the ledge side) loose, steep, rocky section. There was no sign there telling you to turn around, and you can't back up. But other than that it's an awesome trail.

MK[/COLOR]

Links to slideshows
    # 1
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Deadmans grade - McGee Peak

Reward Mine

Coyote Flats Trail

Mill Creek - Lundy Canyon

Lundy Lake

Lundy Lake

Dunderburg Peak

Mono Lake

Dunderburg Lake Trail

Bridgeport Lake from Tamerack Mine
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-05-09, 08:51 AM.

jeez man. I could not do that trail. you got it. awesome pics man. thumbs up to you guys.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

That looks like a lot of fun. Those are some great pics. Do you know a good map that will show all those trails? I would like to do that same run soon!

Comment

Wow, I forgot how beautiful the Sierras are. Great pics--thanks!
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Wow! Awesome trails. I don't suppose I can talk Mitch into going with me.....

Thanks for posting - those are great photos.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Great pics!

Hoping to get in one more trip this summer.

Next time check out Laurel Lakes and Sand Canyon

There's also some great stuff to explore in the Bodie Hills on the CA/NV border.

Comment

Mike,

Looks like a great trip. You beat me to the Reward Mine! That has been on my list for a long time. Besides the main adit that you can drive into, there are a dozen other tunnels in the immediate area. I've been kicking around an over nighter to Lone Pine just to drive that mine. Deadmans Grade looks like the kind of trail that Chuck, Kurt, and Mike go searching for!

Roger: ah... ah.... ah...... no.

Mitch

Comment

WOW!!

..... Wow!

As nice as they are, you have a gift for understatement in the pics that you posted. The slideshows have pics that tell a wonderful story of a grand adventure that the few pics that you posted just can not touch. Absolutely stunningly beautiful! You have some postcard-perfect pics in that mix.

Okay, you twisted my arm now I gotta go there.

BTW, Did I mention, WOW!

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                Deadmans Grade looks like the kind of trail that Chuck, Kurt, and Mike go searching for!
                Mitch
                Already doing my internet and map search! :wink:

Hey Mike, at those altitudes and with the remaining snow pack, what kind of temps did you experience at night (I'm assuming that the 100 degree pic is back on the valley floor)?

Were you able to turn around inside the Reward Mine, or did you have to back most of the way out?
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  WOW!!
                  My sentiments exactly.

Great pictures. I'm going to be adding that to the list. Thanks for sharing.
                  Check out .

Comment

Mike, great trip and one your sons will remember.
                    Rich

Comment

Mike A,

The "drive into" section of the mine goes in about 1/4 mile and comes to a large Y split. There is plenty of room to turn around. One of the videos on Youtube shows a full size SUV cuising around in there.

Mike K, just checked out the other pictures, WOW!

Thanks for sharing your trip,

Mitch

Comment

Mike, totally awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          WOW!!

..... Wow!

As nice as they are, you have a gift for understatement in the pics that you posted. The slideshows have pics that tell a wonderful story of a grand adventure that the few pics that you posted just can not touch. Absolutely stunningly beautiful! You have some postcard-perfect pics in that mix.

Okay, you twisted my arm now I gotta go there.

BTW, Did I mention, WOW!

[COLOR="blue"]Most of these trails are in C. Well's Northern Ca. guide book. Another good source is AAA eastern Sierra map or go online for USGS maps,
                          usgsstore.com ,and Inyo National Forest maps online. Of course Google earth. Another good map is "Sierra Maps" sierramaps@aol.com 760-873-5838. You can get these at the Giggle Springs Gas station in Bishop.

I'll put togather a reference guide that can be e-mailed. Just pm and I'll send it to you when it's done.

All these trails can be done in a high clearance SUV (4x4). Including McGee Peak. But you MUST turn around at the vandalized satalite dish switchback.[/COLOR]

Already doing my internet and map search! :wink:

Hey Mike, at those altitudes and with the remaining snow pack, what kind of temps did you experience at night (I'm assuming that the 100 degree pic is back on the valley floor)?

Were you able to turn around inside the Reward Mine, or did you have to back most of the way out?
                          [COLOR="Blue"]The temps at 10,000 ft were in the 70's, low 40's at night. Typical 95 degree in Bishop.

Inside of the Reward mine you can turn around 3 vehicles or so if your creative.

Laurel Lakes is still closed, due to snow drifts.

MK[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            Wow! Awesome trails. I don't suppose I can talk Mitch into going with me.....

Thanks for posting - those are great photos.
                            [COLOR="Blue"]I think Mitch would really enjoy the McGee switchbacks......it's only a 2000 ft drop on the passenger side...I would guess at about a 50 degree angle.
                            MK[/COLOR]
                            Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-04-09, 08:32 AM.

Comment

1st few pics shows some pretty off camber loose fire roads on the edge of a very large cliff.. i wouldnt wanna slide off those.
                              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X