Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always liked that safety list, with one exception. The antenna length restriction is not well thought out.

For example, my VHF antenna meets the length requirement, but due to its low mounting position, it can still smack people if it isn't tied off. Meanwhile, my 108" CB antenna doesn't meet the requirement even though it is tethered to the top of the jeep so it can't swing out as far as the VHF antenna. Doesn't make sense.

I definately agree that there is a hazard created by antennas swinging around on the trail, but a arbitrary length rule leaves too many loopholes.

I also like the "color code" for runs.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

If you bring an antenna like that Cal 4 wheel and SD4wheel would make you remove it or tie it down very well. We like to guide people through the rougher spots and there has been accidents in the past with those long ones! Not fun to a spotter when a vehicle lands in a hole and the antenna whips the tar outta ya! If your shorter antenna also moves a lot, you should also have a tether on it. Use your own descretion and pretend your spotter is your best buddy.....not a coworker! hahaha....

Mrs. Carrizojim

Comment

I agree the antennas can be (and are) dangerous, particularly to spotters! (no one else should be that close to a moving vehicle on the trail) Both of my antennas have tethers on them (I don't like being smacked by them, so I don't like to smack people with them either). My opinion is simply that setting a hard and fast rule based on the length of an antenna alone, is not the best way to keep spotters safe from being smacked by them.

Of course, exercizing a little bit of care and common sense will go alot farther than a rule would anyway.

Oh, and if I ever "pretended" my spotter was a co-worker, they would have more to worry about than my lil' old antenna.
        Last edited by goodtimes; 07-08-03, 10:50 PM.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
        X