Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodtimes
    replied
    I agree the antennas can be (and are) dangerous, particularly to spotters! (no one else should be that close to a moving vehicle on the trail) Both of my antennas have tethers on them (I don't like being smacked by them, so I don't like to smack people with them either). My opinion is simply that setting a hard and fast rule based on the length of an antenna alone, is not the best way to keep spotters safe from being smacked by them.

Of course, exercizing a little bit of care and common sense will go alot farther than a rule would anyway.

Oh, and if I ever "pretended" my spotter was a co-worker, they would have more to worry about than my lil' old antenna.
    Last edited by goodtimes; 07-08-03, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• carrizojim
    replied
    If you bring an antenna like that Cal 4 wheel and SD4wheel would make you remove it or tie it down very well. We like to guide people through the rougher spots and there has been accidents in the past with those long ones! Not fun to a spotter when a vehicle lands in a hole and the antenna whips the tar outta ya! If your shorter antenna also moves a lot, you should also have a tether on it. Use your own descretion and pretend your spotter is your best buddy.....not a coworker! hahaha....

Mrs. Carrizojim

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    I've always liked that safety list, with one exception. The antenna length restriction is not well thought out.

For example, my VHF antenna meets the length requirement, but due to its low mounting position, it can still smack people if it isn't tied off. Meanwhile, my 108" CB antenna doesn't meet the requirement even though it is tethered to the top of the jeep so it can't swing out as far as the VHF antenna. Doesn't make sense.

I definately agree that there is a hazard created by antennas swinging around on the trail, but a arbitrary length rule leaves too many loopholes.

I also like the "color code" for runs.

Leave a comment:

• sarah
    replied
    awesome!
    thanks alot jim - it's good to have a color code like that. we've never really run into this problem before, but now that we're posting open events everywhere, it's good to have it. you rock!
    thanks erik, for "rockin'" that. :yay:

Leave a comment:

• carrizojim
    replied
    Feel free to permanently post it, it's not copyrighted or anything.....

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    i think that about summs it up nice list, and recommendations there, jim.
    i think it should even be "stuck" at the top of the trail rides section....
    MODERATOR?!

Leave a comment:

• carrizojim
    replied
    Sorry to get so wordy everyone! I'm sort of a safety fanatic....
    It was great to meet Rick, Brian and Sarah! Looking forward to busting some trails with you guys!

Leave a comment:

• carrizojim
    replied
    this is the standard safety equiptment list adopted by Cal4Wheel from the SD4Wheelers:

Safety Requirements
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All vehicles must be street legal and maintained to conform to highway safety standards, as well as meet the minimum requirements listed below. Have the items ready to display at inspection.

Guests on Green runs must have all items marked with an *asterisk.
    Guests on Red, Double Red, or Black runs must have all items.
    Members are required to have all items.

* 1. Roll bar or full cage or factory hard top.

* 2. Functioning parking brake or Micro lock.

3. Tow strap or rope. No chains or straps with hooks. Recommend rated at 2 times vehicle weight.

* 4. First aid kit (what do you want when you are hurt?). It should be mounted/stored in an easily found and accessible location, so that someone not familiar with your vehicle could find it in a hurry.

* 5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle and a tool capable of removing lug nuts (don't forget your wheel locks).

* 6. Spare tire equal to or within 3 inches (measured at the outside diameter) of existing tires on the vehicle; must be an appropriate off road type tread. No temporary spares.

7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good, appropriately stored (not a missile hazard). Like the first aid kit, someone not familiar with your vehicle should be able to quickly find and access it.

* 8. Seat belts for driver and all passengers.

* 9. Antennas must not exceed 4'6" (54") in length except when longer antennas/whip are required by certain OHV areas.

* 10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e., tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are generally rated for only 2,000 pounds, and that is when hooked to a trailer. They can come off with devastating results and are not recommended. Instead, for SUV's without a good tow hook attachment point, use the largest shackle or clevis (generally 1") which will fit in the tow ball hole on your stock bumper.

* 11. Battery hold downs; no bungee cords.

12. Functional 40 Channel CB radio. Handheld (walkie-talkie) types are acceptable but not recommended.

Note: Consumption of alcoholic beverages on the trail is illegal, dangerous, and strictly prohibited. Anyone violating this policy or any illegal activity will be barred from all club activities.

Leave a comment:

• carrizojim
    replied
    A little on bringing strangers on runs, I've learned to give them two bits of information, first one is a safty equiptment list and second is a simple trail difficulty list... the standard 1-10 difficulty list doesn't tell too much, so we use a color code of green-red-black as follows:

Green Run:
    Suitable for stock vehicles and/or novice drivers. May have some challenges, most will have bypasses. Expericed people should be available to instruct and spot through rough areas. Safety equipment recommended, but only roll bar/hardtop, seat belts, first aid kit, parking brake, and jack/spare tire are required. Body damage unlikely, except that caused by driver error. Some trails may be overgrown, resulting in paint scratches.

Red Run:
    Recommended for experienced drivers; at least one locking differential or good limited slip is highly recommended. Safety equpitment is a must. Rough areas may not have bypasses. Some runs may require additional equipment. Occasional body damage is quite likely, drivetrain breakage is also possible.

Double Red Run:
    A few experienced hardcore off-roaders with highly modified vehicles desire runs that will push their vehicle and driving skills to the limit, and that is what these are. At least one locker is REQUIRED, (front & rear lockers, 33" tires and low gears strongly recommended).Mandatory safety and recovery equiptment Some body damage is almost guaranteed, and severe drivetrain failure (axles, driveshaft, etc.) is quite possible. Driver error on some obstacles may result in a rollover. Some runs may require additional equipment.

Black Run:
    Those lunatics up in Victor Valley, the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers, have built some trails - Sledgehammer, Jackhammer, Outer Limits, etc. - that are in a class by themselves. Double Red only begins to describe them. Front and rear lockers, 33" or larger tires, and extremely low gearing (60:1 crawl or better) are REQUIRED. A CASUAL ATTITUDE regarding body damage and drivetrain breakage is also necessary.

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    Yup, it was late....but - got the new ball joints on, and she goes down the road straight and steady now (they were pretty bad ). I only wish we had time to work out the winch mounting before we went up so i could test it out.

Leave a comment:

• sarah
    replied
    one thing that i don't think has been said about this trip comes from rick, brian and myself -

we're really sorry we were so late. we were up working on rick's jeep (hahah, i say we like i was helping!) and were pretty slow in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• cbremer
    replied
    sounds like you guys had fun, albeit at a very slow pace

i got some more boxes emptied (the pile is getting smaller all the time!), got my new leafs installed, and my pass. side door is now quick-disconnectable

best part is the springs were buy one, get one free

oh yeah, also watched some fireworks and drank some beer

:hat:

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukes69
    Hmmmm

Belly up
    Yea, I was thinking that....but I just got off the phone with Tri-County Gear...They want......(sit down)........$910 for their belly pan!

It looks like I'll be getting the hammer out.

Leave a comment:

• Dukes69
    replied
    Originally posted by goodtimes
    That is an option, but why just bang the stock POS back into a shape that will just keep getting me hung up on rocks? I think I'll call Tri-county and see what they have....I don't think Kilby is done with his yet (well, he wasn't done last week when I stopped by to get the steering box skid).

But if worse comes to worse, the BFH will be introduced to the belly pan.
    Hmmmm

Belly up

Leave a comment:

• goodtimes
    replied
    That is an option, but why just bang the stock POS back into a shape that will just keep getting me hung up on rocks? I think I'll call Tri-county and see what they have....I don't think Kilby is done with his yet (well, he wasn't done last week when I stopped by to get the steering box skid).

But if worse comes to worse, the BFH will be introduced to the belly pan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X