Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are about 6 weeks away from this trip. just checking if people are still going or if there are any new takers. Here is a list of confirmed.

Bachman + 1 JK
    cweed
    igofshn
    NikVallens
    paultyler
    provelogear
    seapahn
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Looks like I have to pull out..... sorry.
      92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

So this is what we have now

Bachman + 1 JK
        cweed
        igofshn
        NikVallens
        provelogear
        seapahn

Comment

I (my wife and me) would like to sign up as a possible. July is really busy, but we might be able to go. I will know more for sure by the 4th. Thanks.

Comment

Looks like there is some other events going on as well as ours.

20th Annual Toyota Land Cruiser Association's Rubithon
            Hall of Fame Run
            Loon Lake to Tahoe on the Rubicon Trail June 18-22

We will need to leave Loon lake by 0730 so we can get ahead of this event. It would be great if everyone can be at the damn ready to go by 0700. The last thing we want is to follow a bunch of toyotas.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
              Welcome back seapahn. Looking forward to seeing you again.
              Thanks and same here! The taste of the cobbler from 5 years ago is still in my mouth!

We just got back from running the trail over the weekend. The Rubithon meant there were toyotas EVERYWHERE (close to 200 from what I heard) We started at Loon on Sunday morning which worked well because most of the yotas were leaving that day. About 30-40 or so were heading back to Loon which we passed on the way in. We finished at Tahoe on Monday (camped at Buck Island lake sunday night).

The trail is much harder than I remember it from 5 years ago. I think this time around, a stock rubicon would have a lot of problems. There was also a lot of water on the trail which will probably go away by the mid July time frame. But the water wasn't much of a problem.

Not sure about the Toyotas but in our group of 4 vehicles (my Rubicon on 35s, another rubicon on 37's, a toyota on 40's, and LJ Rubicon on 35's) the carnage was minimal .. the LJ busted a shock which cut through an ABS sensor cable which was probably what resulted in a malfunctioning electronic swaybar disconnect... and a ripped off fender flare. The yota blew a hub as we were driving off the trail ... and we noticed the other rubi had a broken weld on the trackbar bracket which was causing really sloppy steering.

But we did watch an older 4 runner flop right as the group of 3 vehicles was coming into the buck island lake camping area ... he got high centered and the sami behind him decided to keep winching at a sharp angle while the driver kept his foot on the accelerator trying to back up. No one was hurt but plenty of body damage and a busted windshield.

And we also heard on the radio that a jeep blew a 44 rear end including shafts and spiders on the old sluice. Someone in our group had a Ham radio and had to relay the message which came over cb to cb over to someone to call out to a friend to get parts and help. All in all, it was a great group effort to get help out there.

By the way, this new rule that your vehicle has to be within 25 ft of the center line of the trail is really annoying at times (though I do understand the rationale)... especially when it's time to camp with a somewhat large group.
              Last edited by seapahn; 06-25-08, 06:49 PM.
              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

I think this time around, a stock rubicon would have a lot of problems.
                I'm taking my Samurai on 31's for this trip. I'm not too worried. it has 5.12's in the axles and 6.5-1 in the tcase with spools front and rear. It will be fun.

Comment

Yah definitely! By "problems" I meant just getting hung up on things because of the low belly on the stock rubis and the exposed rear quarters. But especially at a 3-day pace, this is going to be a blast!
                  03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                  "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

2 weeks away and I haven't heard much talk on this. Are people still going. I know that Sean (bachman) is going as well as Clay (cweed) and myself are going.

Comment

I am definitely still in. Ive got the days off already. I dont know if hes looked on here lately but I know provelogear will also be going

Comment

So we all want to start talking about spares and what not? Id like to make sure there isnt anything I need to get before we go.

Ill definitely be bringing spare D30 inner+outer shafts with hubs, spare 44 shafts for the rear, spare rear cv shaft, and spare TJ tie rod/drag link
                        Last edited by NikVallens; 07-02-08, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I won't have jeep spares (driving my samurai)but I will have tools and a welder.

Comment

Hey everyone,
                            Have a safe trip. Take lots of pics, since a lot of us won't be able to see the Rubi this year, we'll live it through your pics.
                            BTW,
                            Last year I put a little somthing next to a tree at Rubi Springs. I'm curious to see if it's still there. If you camp at Rubi Springs, the camp gorund right next to the water, I beleive its called the Grove, there is a tree about 15 feet from the water, it has a hole in the side (South side I beleive). In that hole there is film bottle with a couple of things in it. No, I didn't intend for it to be a geocache. So no GPS coords. But from that tree, if you look straight across the water, there is the rope swing (if it's still there) on the other side of the water. Directly across. I think I have a pic of my Jeep parked in front of that tree in a thread on this forum. Good hunting...
                            Last edited by RAT; 07-03-08, 07:54 AM.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I'm still in!

Nik,

I'm glad you're bringing my spares! I'll only need to bring my 8.8 shafts.

I'll be bringing Front D44 (rubi) shafts, 1330 u-joints, 8.8 shafts (maybe.) Brake lines and tools.
                              http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Everyone should remember to pack like you were back packing. We are limited by space and too much weight is not good. Freeze drinking water to help keep ice chest cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X