Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stirker,

Sorry it took so long to get back. Yep, those were questions posed at the meetings. Bottom line: Current operations have little to do with the expansion. In the "Big Picture" the MCAGCC expansion has to do more with strategic planning and preparedness for future operations of a national interest. Again, III MEB was/is in relief ops in Japan for the tsunami so it's not just training for similar climates as OEF but rather training similar to large scale ex's we used to do before 9/11. Back then we used to just do more CPX type stuff for the command cells but, as you know, there is no replacement for putting boots on the ground and having to work through the logistics of it.

I agree, if the budget cuts & draw backs have an impact on the military and congress decides we may not want to pay for that preparedness then JV would have the potential to become a significant loss of investment for the public and the Marine Corps. But until congress decides that we don't need to train a MEB to be ready, this expansion is a way ahead. Again, it comes down to strategic level planning, training, and the President's and Marine Corps' ability to answer the nation's 911 calls.

Mike

Comment

My question is, why can't the Marines use Ft. Irwin? Ft. Irwin just had their own land grab, there is plenty of room there. The money spent on JV could be spent transporting the people/gear there for the training. The public already lost a significant portion of desert to the Army, I hate to see it happen again.
      Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Co-use of Ft. Irwin is a good question and it mainly has to do with the fact both installations would expand for the same reason, to have more through put for their service. While we work together we do things differently and need the space that correlates.

On another note I saw this posted on Pirate:

Originally posted by Kurtuleas

Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike for the link to the letter generator

My letter:
          I would like to take this opportunity to urge and Encourage the Command Staff at the 29 Palms Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center located at Twentynine Palms in California, to pursue an Alternate Course of action to any westward expansion into the Johnson Valley OHV in their quest to enlarge the 29 Palms Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center located at Twentynine Palms in California.

Instead, we ask why an Easterly expansion that includes a portion of the Sheephole Wilderness Area and Cleghorn Valley Wilderness area can not be the primary areas of interest? This is the direction best meets the needs of the Military, The vast array of Johnson Valley OHV Stakeholders, and the persons in the Surrounding Communities.

Eastward expansion will take into account and meet the needs of the Military by lack of conflicting air space with Commercial Aircraft using the Los Angeles Basin Flight Path. Further, it will retain the intact nature of the Johnson Valley OHV which serves the needs of thousands of Stakeholders including but not limited to 4x4 Enthusiasts, Motorcycle and Quad Enthusiasts, Rock hounds, The Movie Industry, Amateur Rocketeers, and Various Sanctioning Bodies for Offroad Racing. The Surrounding Communities will continue to enjoy the boost to their local economies by the attraction to,and the use of, the Johnson Valley OHV by the Stakeholders.

I used what was in our petition and changed a little here and there

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I love your letter Tam. Great work!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by lamar95x4 View Post
              Co-use of Ft. Irwin is a good question.... While we work together we do things differently and need the space that correlates.

Mike
              I really font think the dirt care how you do things, and to suggest that Ft Irwin doesn't have the space is ridiculous. The argument that you need to be able to drive in a straight line for X number of days is also ridiculous. The Isrealites wandered in the same patch if desert for 40 years. That fact that the Marines only need to do so a couple if days each year is the clincher. That one fact, beyond all others, is the most unpalletable. No one wants to lesson the effectiveness and expertise of our troops. You need the land, you are welcome to have it. Use it, do your training, then leave. It's our land, and the other 340 days of the year it should be open to us.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                I really font think the dirt care how you do things, and to suggest that Ft Irwin doesn't have the space is ridiculous. The argument that you need to be able to drive in a straight line for X number of days is also ridiculous. The Isrealites wandered in the same patch if desert for 40 years. That fact that the Marines only need to do so a couple if days each year is the clincher. That one fact, beyond all others, is the most unpalletable. No one wants to lesson the effectiveness and expertise of our troops. You need the land, you are welcome to have it. Use it, do your training, then leave. It's our land, and the other 340 days of the year it should be open to us.
                Your right the dirt doesn't care but they expanded to train the Army & it's attached units. Their reason for expansion is the same as ours as explain previously. I do disagree with the methodology of land ownership and management. Looking at the DEIS maybe they could modify Alt 4 or 5 where we would "rent" the portion of JV we would need for a stageing area with no live fire in that area and once we crossed the base boundary we could go live. I dunno, what I do know is there won't be any changes to what's on the table until after the comment period is over.

I spent some time talking to Amy (Land Use Consultant for Cal4wheel) she ran the two letter writing clinics and the NEPA process is very particular legally. Comments need to address specific inadequacies of the current document, studies that should have been done that were not, error's in the studies, or any flaw in the DEIS. I believe they are going to ask for an extension and maybe that should be included in comments submited. The amount of time the agency had to prepare the DEIS vs. the amount of time for public review is heavily on the agency's side.

Mike

Comment

Hey folks, just wanted to post again on the Pirate letter generator http://pirate4x4.com/letters/action.php It makes it so easy to get good comments put in. It's important to put in comments related to specifics so they can be addressed in the EIS.

Mike

Comment

OHMVR Commission To Tour JV

Looks like a field trip is planned follwed by another meeting.
                    Notice of Meeting
                    Agenda

This should be interesting:
                    1:00 p.m. F. Immediately following the lunch break, the Commission will consider, and may take action on, a presentation from the Marine Corps regarding the proposed expansion of the training range at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, in Twentynine Palms. The Draft Environmental Impact Statement evaluates six proposed alternatives and the potential environmental impacts including expansion into the Johnson Valley OHV Area, managed by the BLM, Barstow Field Office.
                    Check out .

Comment

Working...
                    X