Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBNF OHV Info

[COLOR="blue"]I have been doing a little homework on what the 4x community can do to help keep the OHV trails open in the SBNF.

Greg, the SBNF OHV co-ordinator has given some effective ways we can be involved. The main way is to attend the AAT meetings in Corona and find out what issues are happening in the NF. If some might want to make regular attendence, then post the news and what the forum can do would help tremendously.

As far as the Cleghorn issue is concerned, there was a long public responce period that no one responded to. Apperantly not too many knew that there was a public responce period. Greg said the info was discussed at the AAT meetings.

Below is the responce to the Cleghorn and the other federal road closures issues that have just been completed. This is from the "horses mouth".

I think any responce to the NFS should be done with courtesy and respect. We do have the right to state our concerns and opinions, but if done respectfully it will yeild the best results.[/COLOR]

Hello Mike.

The closure work that has occurred across the main divide of the SBNF is the implementation of the Forest Travel Management Plan. This was a five year process that included open house sessions and a long public comment period.

The preferred alternative was posted in the LA Times, Orange County Register, local TV and every media outlet we have access to.

The maps of this prposal were posted on our SBNF website over a year.

We did NOT receive any appeals to this decision. Amazing from my perspective!

We DO discuss these issues in-depth at the Adopt-a-Trail meetings.

Yes ARRA (American Reinvestment Restoration Act) monies were used for private contarctors to complete these projects.

All changes will be reflected in the revised MVUM (motor vehicle use map) due by August 2010.

In your previous message, you asked two questions; How can the 4x4 community comment now? By contacting District Rangers-Gabe Garcia Front Country and Scott Tangenberg Mountain top Ranger District.

And How can the 4x4 community stay abreast of changes and upcoming comment periods?

Any 4x4 enthusiast can attend the quarterly Adopt-a-Trail meetings held at Corona Sizzler. Or adopt a road or trail.

I take questions from anyone who is attending.

The next meeting will be held on August 18. Dinner at 1800 meeting at 1900.

I am here to represent the 4x4 Community. Please feel free to conatct me anytime.

Thank you,

Greg.

[COLOR="Blue"]This is a responce from the SBNF OHV Co-ordinator to a friend that posed the same question,[/COLOR]

CLEGHORN - It was recently asked why Cleghorn was bulldozed and recieved large rocks along the west end. This is a response from Greg.

"...these actions are the result of a Federal requirement to create designated motor vehicle routes on every National Forest in America. Unfortunately, off-highway vehicles are listed as one of the top ten biggest threats to damaging National Forest Lands. Not one of the 'bypasses' on Cleghorn were ever designated as a legal numbered route.
    As you may know, some of the unauthorized routes (bypasses) on Cleghorn have been blocked and slashed with brush. Some of the bypasses that were not blocked will become legal, designated, numbered roads.

This effort is part of the SBNF travel management decision. All of the designated routes should be reflected in the final SBNF Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). Using American Recovery and Reinvestment (ARRA) dollars, the contract restoration equipment and crews started this project on the west side of the forest and worked east of Big Bear."

[COLOR="blue"]And a follow up responce.[/COLOR]

ARRA is presumably complete!!! For any other concerns regarding future trail closures, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is supposedly complete. Other information will be provided at the meeting.
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-22-10, 04:27 PM.

Last week you posted this crap about FS volunteers

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
    [COLOR="blue"]It is very disturbing when I see FS "VOLUNTEERS" acting like a "police state" official. This is not only irratating, but develops a lot of disgruntled citizens who just want to enjoy the National Forest.[/COLOR]
    And now this week you want the FS volunteers to attend meetings that you are too lazy to attend and report back to you?

[COLOR="blue"]The main way is to attend the AAT meetings in Corona and find out what issues are happening in the NF. If some might want to make regular attendence, then post the news and what the forum can do would help tremendously.[/color]
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Each land managing agency (USFS, BLM, NPS) posts up coming projects and planning issues on their respective websites.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parkmgmt/planning.htm

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/planning.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/routedesignation/

Things don't happen overnight and in secret. The planning processes for our public lands involve the public through stake holder meetings, open houses, and the NEPA process. There are plenty of oppurtunities to make your voice heard. You just have to take the initiative. Also the process can take years. For example the four National Forests in southern California went through a Forest Plan Update in the early 2000's (around 2002-2004 IIRC) the decisions sent forth in those plans set the guidelines for the Travel Management Plans that each Forest is now going through. SBNF is for the most part finished with their TMP and is now implementing the decisions in the final document. Hence the closing and restoration of routes that you are seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post

And now this week you want the FS volunteers to attend meetings that you are too lazy to attend and report back to you?
        [COLOR="Blue"]I'm not asking anyone to report to me, just to post info on the forum for those who want to respond. Like Karstic has done.[/COLOR]

Comment

MK,

Maybe we can work on drafting a sticky to raise awareness of ways to help. Many of us take it for granted and assume that everyone knows because we are so close to it.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
            MK,

Maybe we can work on drafting a sticky to raise awareness of ways to help. Many of us take it for granted and assume that everyone knows because we are so close to it.
            [COLOR="Blue"]I think that would be a good idea Sarah. Makeing a place where land issues that need public responce can be posted. [/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I think that would be a good idea Sarah. Makeing a place where land issues that need public responce can be posted. [/COLOR]
              Great, we could use a fresh perspective. Email/PM me anytime.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

[COLOR=blue]I think that would be a good idea Sarah. Makeing a place where land issues that need public responce can be posted. [/COLOR]
                I just want to point out that you are posting on a thread titled "Land Use Issues". So there is already a public place here on MJR where land issues are being posted, and on a fairly regular basis. If you peruse the repsonses to the majority of the posts here you will see that there are a core group of folks that consistently post comments on the issues. Other than that, there is not much effort being put forth by the majority of people on MJR to comment on Land Management issues. The issue of land management is just like the issue of politics; a small percentage of people actually follow the issues and do what they can, the rest go along for the ride. Until that changes you can post comments until you are blue in the face and it will only get as far as this forum. Having said that, if we don't do it, no one will, so if there is a better idea of how to get more folks involved besides threats and cajoling, which is being tried and is failing miserably, I say let's go for it.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Good responce Rat, I'll keep doing what I can to help keep the public lands open.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Rat & mkjeepers.:thumbs_up
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Good responce Rat, I'll keep doing what I can to help keep the public lands open.

mk[/COLOR]
                      Which is.....?

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                        Which is.....?
                        crickets.......

A post from the SBNFA OHV Volunteer program in the MJR Land Use forum.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7984
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

The preferred alternative was posted in the LA Times, Orange County Register, local TV and every media outlet we have access to.

The maps of this prposal were posted on our SBNF website over a year.

We did NOT receive any appeals to this decision. Amazing from my perspective!
                          Did it ever occur to the SBNF to post it at the trail head? If you want input from the users, tell the actual users! And what does Local TV mean? are they running ads on NBC? It's such a copout. I'm sure they send the local PBS channel a press release statement, but give me a freaking break. I am on the internet way too much, and heard NOTHING about destroying Cleghorn, one of my most sacred trails. The SBNF is TERRIBLE at communication if they couldn't reach someone like me, who actively looks for this sort of info, with their message.
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                            Did it ever occur to the SBNF to post it at the trail head? If you want input from the users, tell the actual users! And what does Local TV mean? are they running ads on NBC? It's such a copout. I'm sure they send the local PBS channel a press release statement, but give me a freaking break. I am on the internet way too much, and heard NOTHING about destroying Cleghorn, one of my most sacred trails. The SBNF is TERRIBLE at communication if they couldn't reach someone like me, who actively looks for this sort of info, with their message.
                            [COLOR="Blue"]Nathan I hadn't heard this was opened for public responce either. Greg from the SBNF stated that these type of issues are mentioned at the Adopt A Trail meetings. This was my original intent with this post, to let others know where this type of info is discussed.

Sarah also has done a great post on other areas to find land issues info.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

I think the government agencies have done a very poor job of informing the public about the loss of OHV opportunities. To me a glaring example of this is the Marines and JV (and now the SBNF examples). They held three meetings for the general public for JV. They were not active in informing visitors to the JV area of what was being planned. They should have had information booths/Marines at each of the three main entrances at Camp Rock Rd/Bessemir Mine Rd/Boone Rd. I handed out many of the comment forms to users in the Means area as part of FOJV and the majority of people knew nothing of the plans unless they were members of District 37, readers of Pirate 4X4, or other bulletin boards like MJR. It appears to me that the agencies are doing the minimum required to get public input.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X