• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    [FONT=Arial]July 2, 2008[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Mr. Kurt Kauffman[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff]kkauffman@buschusa.com[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Dear Mr. Kauffman:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Thank you for taking the time to contact the office of Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt regarding the closure of the Doran Bypass trail near Calico Ghost Town in San Bernardino County.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]In mid June, San Bernardino County Regional Parks Department staff met at Calico Ghost Town with representatives from County Code Enforcement, County Risk Management and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to evaluate the condition and use of the Doran Bypass. Following the assessment it was determined that a designated route would be identified by Regional Parks and reviewed by the other involved departments and agencies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]On June 26, 2008, Regional Parks staked a temporary route and the current Doran Bypass is open but is pending review and approval by Risk Management, BLM and Code Enforcement. Once the review process is complete, Regional Parks will obtain a cost estimate for fencing and meet with trail users who have offered their assistance of labor to fence the trail.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]If you have additional questions or concerns regarding the Doran Bypass trail you may contact Mr. Tom Potter, Director of San Bernardino County Regional Parks Department by calling or writing:[/FONT]
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial]Tom Potter, Director[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]San Bernardino County Regional Parks Department[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]777 East Rialto Avenue[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]San Bernardino, CA 92415[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial](909) 387-2340[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [FONT=Arial]If I may assist you with another county-related matter, please do not hesitate to contact the Supervisor’s district office.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Jessie Flores[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Field Representative for[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Brad Mitzelfelt[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Supervisor, First District[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]San Bernardino County [/FONT]
    Ooo, the font tags are pretty.

I got a letter too, probably the same one as ya'lls.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I received the email also, so I'm guessing all of us who sent in an email regarding Doran where put on a list and they replied to "all"
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
        Ooo, the font tags are pretty.

I got a letter too, probably the same one as ya'lls.
        I left those just for you dawlin...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

First, great job all involved. But i have a question. From the letter mr. Kauffman stated that the route was open but under review. Does that mean its open but you can't use it until the fence is made? Sorry but i just didn't quite follow all of that. I see that as of today,the rocks are still in place but the route is well marked with stakes and flags.

Comment

I followed up with the Regional Parks department yesterday. First I asked about the status of the resolution to the by-pass' continued use (putting up fencing) and then asked if we could continue to use the by-pass until the fencing is put up.

This was her response:

The park is allowing access through the bypass, temporary fencing was placed along the trail. Currently, Regional Parks is looking at various funding sources in order to install permanent fencing and signage along the trail. When it is cooler and the funding source has been worked out, Regional Parks would like to take your group up on their offer to help install the permanent fencing
            I take that as very good news. Ill let ya'll know when we need to schedule a work day/weekend

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Sweet!!!!

Comment

Great work. Thanks for the follow up.
                Check out .

Comment

I LIKE THE RESPONSE: The park is allowing access through the bypass, temporary fencing was placed along the trail.
                  MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE ROCKS ARE STILL BLOCKING THE BYPASS. WOULD THEY MIND IF WE MOVED THE BIG ROCKS SO WE CAN DRIVE THE JEEP UP THE TRAIL?

Comment

Originally posted by RubiRedRoc 07 View Post
                    I LIKE THE RESPONSE: The park is allowing access through the bypass, temporary fencing was placed along the trail.
                    MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE ROCKS ARE STILL BLOCKING THE BYPASS. WOULD THEY MIND IF WE MOVED THE BIG ROCKS SO WE CAN DRIVE THE JEEP UP THE TRAIL?
                    well they say are allowed. so that means we can drive around them or over them right???

Either way can go up odessa or the infamous gatekeeper.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I was wondering what the status of this issue was. Thanks Rubiredroc 07 for posting this!

I am going to plan on helping out whenever a workday is scheduled.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by RubiRedRoc 07 View Post
                        If you can't make it over those rocks, then you probably won't make it up the rest of Doran Canyon. Just think of them as one more nice little obstacle on the trail!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          ... Thanks Rubiredroc 07 for posting this!

Youre welcome

Tam

Comment

Good Point DJ, lets go do it.
                            Drove up the Cyn. today,(Sun) not to bad.
                            Last edited by RubiRedRoc 07; 08-31-08, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I just finished a series of phone calls that started and ended with Phil Krause, Chief of Planning, San Bernardino Regional Parks Department.

A few months ago, I dropped a note off to my contact at the Regional Parks Department, Bev Pickens', that we are still here to help, and that we might have access to telephone poles.

Apparently, the email finally ended up on Phil Krause's desk. He replied to me today wanting to know if we still had the poles available, how many, how long and if they were treated.

Instead of replying to his email, I picked up the phone and called him to discuss. After the brief discussion, I called Julie (Desert Jewel) to track down one of our members, MojaveLimo, who helps out with the AAT program. I called him and he has pretty much an unlimited amount of poles(over a period of time). We discussed the use of them at Calico, he was very helpful, and I look forward to working out the details with him soon.

I called back Phil Krause at the Parks Department, and told him what we had. He was happy to hear that they were still available, and that the SBNF has already had them approved for use in the forest. We discussed how they would be used. It sounds like the fence will be poles with cable. He mentioned that he would have a construction crew and with an auger doing the holes, I offered up our group as volunteers for placing and moving the poles I told him that we were volunteering because we didn't want to lose the by-pass due to a lack of budget. He was VERY excited to see the community come together on this.

Hes going to be emailing me a map with the fence placement and length. Ill post it up here when I get it.

We are looking at an installation date sometime in the winter.

I cant begin to tell you how thrilled I am that we (the off-road community) and the Parks Department came together to make this happen. It is a great example on what we can do if by keeping level headed and finding a way to work through issues together

Tam

Comment

Working...
                                X