Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW UPDATE 11/5/08- Calico: Doran By-Pass Meeting Update

Chris (Dukes69), Sarah, Julie(Desert Jewel), Crash and I met with an impressive gathering of people regarding the Doran Gatekeeper By-Pass Closure. (For more info on this: click)

At the meeting was the Director of Regional Parks, Tom Potter; the Manager of Calico Regional Park, Rae; BLM Rep that oversees the Calico Area OHV, Larry Blaine; Two ladies from the Risk Management Department from the County Regional Parks, and Paul from County Land Use. (Please forgive me if Ive missed anyone, got your names wrong or title wrong...this was from memory!)

First let me say how wonderful it was that these folks could take time out of their busy days so that we could all get together to discuss this issue!

We began our meeting in the parking lot of Calico Regional Park. After introductions, I opened the discussion so that we could understand the cause of the closure. Much to our suprise, it wasnt what we expected. Though unauthorized access to the park and its facilities is important, its not the main reason they closed the by-pass. The closure was two-fold.

Firstly, there is pending litigation where the litigants claim that they passed into BLM land unknowlingly and were injured.

Secondly, (and just as important), there is a major problem of unauthorized OHV (primarily bikes and quads) tearing up the hills behind the campground and the Gatekeeper (Which is not BLM land, and is closed to all OHV use). Not only is this activity illegal and unwelcome to the campers at Calico Regional Park, but its potentially dangerous.

The converstation was very open and friendly. We discussed the options in which to solve the problems. Most importantly, we all agreee that we need to keep Doran Scenic Drive open the way it is. Interestingly enough, Doran Drive, off Ghost Town Rd is on Regional Park Property until the road curves to the right. There is no obvious designation of the boundaries of Regional Park and BLM land. We all agreed that it would be futile to put up signage, as it would be destroyed or removed within days.

The use of the By-pass as it was intended is not a problem. The problem lies when riders and drivers leave the by-pass to play in the hills around Calico Ghost Town. Our primary focus was to come up with a solution that could deter OHV access on anywhere but the by-pass. They were receptive to our suggestion of fences, and we discussed possible placement. Now, its just a matter of what kind and where.

We drove around to the Campground side, hiked up the hill to the by-pass, and got a new view of what we were discussing.

Tom Potter has assured me that when they came up with a resolution of what and where they would fence, they would ask us for our input prior to putting them up. He liked having our insight into the issue, and welcomed our opinions.

Although I did offer that we would make ourselves available for the installation of the fences, I'm not sure whether they'll take us up on it or not. We also discussed a combined work party with the Area BLM to do the installation.

All and all, Im very happy with the way the meeting went this morning, and look forward to hearing from Tom Potters office in the next couple weeks.

Tam
    Last edited by JeepGal; 11-05-08, 02:04 PM.
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

That sounds like great news. It would be wonderful if the BLM and the Ghost Town management would allow us to help with the fence installation. I love the area and would like to help make the problem go away.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Everyone,

Supervisor Mitzelfelt just won reelection! Without his assistance, we would have never gotten this far with the County Parks! We have a voice for the next 4 years. We should send him emails of thanks and congratulations.

You know, Governor Mitzelfelt has a nice ring to it don't you think?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Sounds very promising. Thank you
        Check out .

Comment

Good news and nice turnout or people. At least it appears that they are receptive to fixing the problems.

Comment

Jeepgal, Your The Bomb.

Hopefully others will that note when these kind of issues come up, your efforts and communications are outstanding

Cheers!

Comment

Tam, kudos to and the others that showed up on behalf of the offroad community Sounds like a very fruitful meeting and things are heading in the right direction! Keep us posted.

Comment

A huge thank you to everyone involved in the COMMUNICATION that occurred in the discussions concerning Doran Drive and the bypass.
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Great job to all. Please post as soon as we get any info on what they may do and if they will be willing to accept our help. (if need be I can take some vacation time to be out there)
                  An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    Everyone,

Supervisor Mitzelfelt just won reelection! Without his assistance, we would have never gotten this far with the County Parks! We have a voice for the next 4 years. We should send him emails of thanks and congratulations.

You know, Governor Mitzelfelt has a nice ring to it don't you think?
                    What has he done? I still haven't heard back with an answer from his office. Have you?
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Awesome work guys.

May I make a suggestion, when you attend a meeting with many different representatives, ask them for a business card, that way you are sure to get correct names, correct titles and contact info. It also makes it easier to conduct follow up correspondance.

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                        Awesome work guys.

May I make a suggestion, when you attend a meeting with many different representatives, ask them for a business card, that way you are sure to get correct names, correct titles and contact info. It also makes it easier to conduct follow up correspondance.
                        That's a great point. And have cards for yourselves too (which I didn't think of either, of course.)
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                          Awesome work guys.

If I remember correctly, the ones we did ask for business cards on did not have any with them

Comment

Tam,
                            Thank you very much. Wow, the cooperation at that meeting sounded great. Could we be turning a corner here? Sure would be nice. I'm sure with continued contact the parties involved will be more willing to give out information (business cards). You all have a done a great job here.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                              That's a great point. And have cards for yourselves too (which I didn't think of either, of course.)
                              FWIW, Check out www.vistaprint.com for Free business cards. I have gotten a few different sets from them for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X