Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resumes in general

General advice on resumes:
    My wife is an executive recruiter and I have manged several groups, hiring and firing 100's of presonell. So, the best 'insider' advise we can give is that your resume needs to be focused at your prospective employer, not a general overview of your work history.
    Secondly, it needs to showcase accomplishments, not job duties. Like, increased revenues 30%, highest gross profit for quarter, trimmed overhead costs by 15%, etc. No one cares what your duties were, what your past job functions were, just what you were personally able to accomplish that improved things for your employer.
    Last, forget about fancy formatting and fonts. A prospective employer wants to skim thru your resume and find interesting, applicable accomplishments, and be able to contact you easily.

Comment

Wow, I've missed what should have been my most favorite thread on this board!! Aston, your site looks great ... pretty good for a quickie :devil: ... but beware of what personal contact info you make public. People WILL use it, and they will most likely be spammers (or people from your past, LOL). I set up a J2 voicemail account (free) to list on my portfolio site so at least if it gets improperly used I can change it easily. It's nice though, because it receives faxes too.

thanks brian4.2 for the plug ...
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Site is good

Took a minute to browse your site and resume. Good info, clean format.

I would develop a resume 'offline' that includes some of what your site lists. Something you can mail. Yeah, an email link is all good, but sometimes hiring execs won't look at them, you still need something in print. You just have to get a prospect to your site.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
          Wow, I've missed what should have been my most favorite thread on this board!! Aston, your site looks great ... pretty good for a quickie :devil: ... but beware of what personal contact info you make public. People WILL use it, and they will most likely be spammers (or people from your past, LOL). I set up a J2 voicemail account (free) to list on my portfolio site so at least if it gets improperly used I can change it easily. It's nice though, because it receives faxes too.

thanks brian4.2 for the plug ...
          I wondered where you were, I assumed you were asleep at the switch.

I hadn't thought about personal info, maybe I'll remove that.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
            Took a minute to browse your site and resume. Good info, clean format.

I would develop a resume 'offline' that includes some of what your site lists. Something you can mail. Yeah, an email link is all good, but sometimes hiring execs won't look at them, you still need something in print. You just have to get a prospect to your site.

Good luck!
            Thanks man.

I have been working every angle of the job search process.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
              General advice on resumes:
              My wife is an executive recruiter
              If she ever needs a top production guy - let me know

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                I wondered where you were, I assumed you were asleep at the switch.

We were at the Angels game and had to get to the Jeep junkyard before they closed. See? I had a good excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  looks good. one thing though, I looked over the whole thing and not once did you mention that you know me. I think this is a major ovesight. maybe a picture on the side like that jap dude or that other jackass that brought us the model t. I mean, it could only help, that's why I bring it up.
                  Good point Brian. :yay: Could you post some pics of yourself in a work related setting and the group can help me select the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                    looks good. one thing though, I looked over the whole thing and not once did you mention that you know me. I think this is a major ovesight. maybe a picture on the side like that jap dude or that other jackass that brought us the model t. I mean, it could only help, that's why I bring it up.
                    ROFLMAO!!! That is too funny!

:cocktail: :pizza: :gun:

Could you post some pics of yourself in a work related setting and the group can help me select the best one.
                    I'm sure we can think of a few ... after all, Brian has been overly drunk, beyond the point of memory a few times when there were cameras around.
                    :tumble: :cactus: :tumble: :geek:

Comment

I'm sure we can think of a few ... after all, Brian has been overly drunk, beyond the point of memory a few times when there were cameras around.
                      I don't think being a piss artist qualifies as a profession.

Comment

really...
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I love quoting myself

OTOH you can find all kinds of personal info on zabasearch.com

If you haven't tried it, enter your own name and be shocked.

Comment

I love quoting myself

OTOH you can find all kinds of personal info on zabasearch.com

If you haven't tried it, enter your own name and be shocked.
                            no way, that's just going to link me to some senile monkey photo with my name next to it!

Originally posted by blktj
                            really...
                            well ya, what photos do you think we have of you up on friendster nowadays!?
                            j/k :cactus:

Comment

Good point Brian. :yay: Could you post some pics of yourself in a work related setting and the group can help me select the best one.

I could only find one...

myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I don't think being a piss artist qualifies as a profession.
                                Are you sure? He's good!!

Last edited by NAILER341; 09-19-05, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X