Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heads up on warn 9.5xp...

first see photo...

one would think that this winch would include all that you see there.

not true.

the bracket to mount the control pack upright, as you see it, is nowhere to be found.

called warn... "that bracket is included in our winch mounting kits." they said.

"i don't need one of your winch mounting kits." I replied.

"Oh, well, you can order just the bracket. " says rep. "part number 13557 for the upright mount or 26368 for a mount across the motor."

"thanks"
    says me.

I think it's stupid that they don't include one of these with the winch. Just thought I'd share.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

B-o-o-o-o-gus!! That's like charging extra for the control switch!

Well, I think it's probably not too hard to fab one out of some sheet aluminum. Evilpsych could tell you more about it, but the Harbor Freight has a little bracket that mounts the control box horizontally so the control plug goes straight up to the hood. It is a cheap little affair that bolts to the crossbars and zipties (!) to the motor housing.

Pretty nifty looking winch, Brian! Can't wait to try it out! The Missus is scared of fast winches...nightmares about crooked fingers wrapped in steel cable.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning

The Missus is scared of fast winches...nightmares about crooked fingers wrapped in steel cable.
      thanks ted. don't worry deb, you need not touch the thing. :yay:
      Last edited by blkTJ; 06-26-04, 12:53 AM.
      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

the day I let alex mod anything on my jeep is the day after i sell it.
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

While your on the subject , how do you tie in the winch power to the battery? I've got mine going to those low amp side terminals on the Optima. Which I'm told not to do if I have to load it up for a long pull. Do you build a remote terminal block? Is there some kind of terminal end I can buy to let me put both the Jeep and the winch dirrectly to the battery main posts?
          Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

I plan on hooking mine up to the main terminals of the yellow top.

I think you can get some sort of isolator though, not sure.
            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I just removed the 1/2" nut completely off of the terminal bolt and put the eyelet on the bolt and cinched it all back down. Ground to the negative post of the battery.

Optima will not warranty the battery if you smoke the side posts using a winch.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

What's the main difference between the different 9.5 series warn winches (XP, TI, and SI)? Are they all basically the same or are there major differences? I was looking at the line speeds and the XP seems much slower than the TI in the 0-load speed but is faster under load (like at 6000lbs).
                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

brian, why did you not get the one with the integrated solenoid? just curious
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

the xp was cheaper and more black.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                      ok.. you know what you want glad you got one.
                      congrats! are you going to spring the dough for the fancy rope?
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                        ...are you going to spring the dough for the fancy rope?
                        not right away. It's on the list after spare shafts(I've got your address, I'll send a check soon for the rear), beadlocks and maybe a power steering cooler.
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

winch wiring

<snip on>
                          While your on the subject , how do you tie in the winch power to the battery? I've got mine going to those low amp side terminals on the Optima. Which I'm told not to do if I have to load it up for a long pull. Do you build a remote terminal block? Is there some kind of terminal end I can buy to let me put both the Jeep and the winch dirrectly to the battery main posts?
                          Inquiring minds want to know.
                          <snip off>

My advice

Put the winch power cables on the main battery posts and the Jeep (starter etc...) on the side terminals. While you're at it get heavy power cable and lugs. I mean welding cable, not the fuse wire they sell at AutoZone.

Chris L.
                          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                            "You could ask yourself how much more black could it be...and the answer is none. None more black." Nigel Tufnik
                            It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                            and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by king4wd
                              "You could ask yourself how much more black could it be...and the answer is none. None more black." Nigel Tufnik
                              to bad it doesn't go to 11.
                              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X