Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary View Post
    Thanks I'll check it out.

Do I need a hunting license to shoot rabbit or birds like quail or chukar?
    Yes you do.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Nwoods, does Turners also work on guns? You mentioned the Rugers possibly needing some trigger work. If not, where would be a good place to take it locally. Thanks

Thanks for the links and advice guys.
      I don't know of any 'smiths in southern Cal anymore. I guess the politically correct business choked one out and the other guy died. IF you decide to buy your parts and do it yourself, be very careful. There aren't too many ways to mess up a drop-in kit, but my old boss had one go full auto in a 10/22. Cool, but the 4-H shooting sports coach got really excited for some reason... You can do the job yourself with the stock equipment, just be very careful and don't cut the engagement hooks on the hammer less than .020". A little buffing with a dot of gun grease goes a long way.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Heres very first rifle I ever owned. I built it when I was 15 years old 24 years ago(different scope now). Great plinker with the granfathered 30 and 50 round mags.

As far as the trigger goes if you are not competing it really doesn't matter. As far as hunting you cannot hunting with lead anymore in california and as far as I know 22 rimfire are all lead. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Most hunting of what is considered "big game" (deer and bigger - or meaner) requires a centerfire caliber of .223 or larger for rifles and 9mm or larger for handguns. I'm not aware of any restrictions on varmints or what are considered "non-game fur-bearing animals". Although many states don't restrict hunting these critters, the peoples' republic of Kalifornia consideres them to be protected.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Considering certain current events taking place around the world, I thought this might be a subject worth reviving... Anyone learn anything new that they would care to share?

Been doing a little more reading on water collection and found this article pretty interesting...

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Water/Water.htm

"Solar Still

A solar still is a fairly efficient way to collect moisture from the soil. As you can see in the two views below, a tarp is draped over a hole in the ground. This is sealed in place with rocks, logs, sand or whatever is available. Make sure it is well sealed. The sun on the tarp heats the air underneath, which causes moisture in the soil to evaporate. This moisture has no place to go and condenses on the tarp itself. Because of the pebble in the middle, there is a sufficient slope for the condensate to run down the inside, and drip into the collection vessel.

A view from the top. From this angle, you can see the pebble in the middle, centered over the collection vessel.

Notes

The collection vessel can be anything... cup, bowl, tin can, another section of tarp, even a large leaf.

The drinking tube shown in the pictures is a nice addition, but not absolutely necessary. You can always lift the corner, reach in and remove the collection vessel every so often. It's more work, but if all you have is a tarp, then it may be necessary.

If the ground itself is not yielding enough water, try tossing in vegetation. It doesn't even matter if the vegetation is edible or not, as you are effectively distilling the water. The water that is collected from a solar still is 100% pure, drinkable H2O, and does not require boiling."
            Regards,
            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

My favorite quote from the above mentioned website is...

"Do NOT listen to granola-headed shrub cuddlers when it comes to survival info. They will get you killed."
              Regards,
              Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

The world situation is even worse that when this thread was started. Thanks Randy for Reviving it.

So, are any of you more prepared than you were when this thread started?

Are any of you carrying an emergency pack in your vehicle in case you get stranded for a few days? Spouses vehicle?

If you are interested in improving your shooting skills, you might want to check out this organization and the shooting clinics they hold: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I'm going the the upcoming 2 day clinic on November 17 & 18 in Corona.

BTW, Here is my well equipped Ruger 10/22. Special Edition, composite stock w/ Realtree Hardwood pattern camo, SS barrel, Center Point optical site, Uncle Mike's 1-1/4" swivels, M1 Garrand sling. This is set up for the above referenced shoot. But you don't need to so this for the shoot if you don't want to.

Last edited by Roger; 09-28-12, 11:34 AM.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  If you are interested in improving your shooting skills, you might want to check out this organization and the shooting clinics they hold: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I'm going the the upcoming 2 day clinic on November 17 & 18 in Corona.
                  Roger I'm a HUGE fan of Appleseed, and have attended several times. It's fantastic training. My wife and kids have all been through the program as well.

A few suggestions:
                  1. If you are using your own rifle, you will need a sling!
                  2. If possible, sight in your rifle prior to attending, this will help a lot with the preliminary shooting drills.
                  3. If you are using your own rifle, you will need a sling!
                  4. Bring a LOT of water
                  5. Take a fist full of Advil the morning of, and the evening after the event. Shooting in those positions is not natural feeling.
                  6. You will need about 500 rounds for both days.
                  7. Bring a padded ground mat to laydown on.

My daughter (age 8 at the time) - improperly using her sling!:

What you shoot at to quality as a Rifleman (old Military style AQT targets):

What you shoot at to figure out what you are doing wrong:
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
                    Here is my well equipped Ruger 10/22. Special Edition, composite stock w/ Realtree Hardwood pattern camo, SS barrel, Center Point optical site, Uncle Mike's 1-1/4" swivels, M1 Garrand sling. This is set up for the above referenced shoot. But you don't need to so this for the shoot if you don't want to.
                    Sweet! I just just a cheap Marlin 795 plinker. I tried using my Winchester bolt action .22LR, but I found the bolt action to be a significant detriment to accuracy during timed rate of fire exercises.

TreadLightly Trainer
                    HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Cool Nathan!

Regarding Appleseed.org. One of my sons and his wife went to one in St. Louis and loved it so much that my son is training to be an instructor for them. They bought me a gift certificate for a clinic for Father's Day!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Found an interesting video on YouTube tonight that I thought I would share...

Making a solar compass...

Regards,
                        Randy

Comment

If you are interested long term food storage, check out Honeyville Farms online and their store in Rancho Cucamonga. It's located on Miliken Between Foothill & 4th st.

http://local.honeyvillegrain.com/
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Determining the amount of daylight remaining in your day...

There are circumstances when knowing how much natural light you have left in the day can go from a convenience to a matter of life or death.

Knowing when it will get dark, or how many hours of sunlight you have remaining, will give you time to find shelter, time remaining to travel without the aid of artificial lighting, or give you the time to accomplish the dozens of tasks so critical to your comfort and survival when no other lighting options exist.

This method can be used to accurately assess when you should stop walking and focus your attention on finding and creating a safe base camp for the evening without the use of artificial lighting.

Here’s how…

This method is used for an average adult with an outstretched hand. Each finger equals fifteen minutes worth of daylight or time, so four fingers equals one hour.

1. Stretch your arm out in front of you toward the sun. Bend your wrist so that your palm is facing you and your hand is horizontal with your thumb on top. The bottom of the sun should rest on the top of your index (pointer) finger.

2. Put your other outstretched hand below the first.

3. Now move your upper hand under the second and continue “walking” your hands down toward an imaginary horizon line, counting the hands as your go.

The accompanying illustration shows four hours (sixteen fingers) worth of daylight left. Be sure to keep your arms straight as you slowly walk both hands down toward the horizon. It’s easy to get sloppy with this method by using only one hand or by putting your hand too close to your face because your elbows are bent.

Regards,
                            Randy

Comment

While hunting doves in Big Bear I got carried away chasing the birds, and was picking up my last shot when I realized that I was lost. This came as a shock to me, as I usually know where I am at. I thought for a minute and gathered my wits and looked to find the Sun. Being that we live in the northern Hemishpere, the sun follows a southern arch. Looking at the sun I could tell it was just pass noon, plus my stomach was also letting me know that it was time to eat. Knowing now where south is, I could walk south and find the main road and backtrack the way that I came in. It would be a longer walk, but at least I would find My Cruiser. So if you can find the sun you now have one point of the compass, Kevin.

Comment

Roger, how was your Appleseed experience..um, last year?

TreadLightly Trainer
                                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
                                X