Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good to me Randy, I'm free most weekends. Just let me know when and where you want to go.

Comment

I've been looking at New 22 rifles and plan on buying a couple in a few weeks. It's been over 25 years since I purchased a rifle, Any suggestions on whats the best 22 rifle these days?

Comment

It is very hard to beat the Ruger 10/22. This rifle is available in many versions from basic to heavy barrelled competition and is one of the most popular and trouble free. Like the caliber suggestions of using a popular size the same goes for firearm, especially when you have magazines involved. The 10/22 uses a 10rd box magazine and has available 30-100rd magazines elsewhere in the US.

Comment

Thanks, The Ruger is what I was thinking also. I purchased one 20 something years and got a lot of use out of it. I think I actually wore it out because it begin to jam on me. I cleaned it after every use but maybe I wasn't thurough enough? Maybe it was just the less expensive rifle?

Are those larger magazines legal to have in California?

Comment

Ok I have a 22 pistol(HI-STANDARD M-HD) by my bed. Hollow point with a little wax. At the front door I have a 12 ga. Mossberg 500. That I load #1 bird shot #2 slug #3 00buck than all 00buck. I don't like big calliber hand guns inside my inter perimeter. I could hit some one in another part of the house. The ruger 22 pistol is a gun you can always count on to work. The 22 can do a lot of harm onces it inside you.
            Last edited by curtis; 03-26-11, 01:44 AM.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

10 round magazines are the maximum allowed in California. This state disregards the 2nd Ammendment whenever they can get away with it.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

California Large Capacity Magazines

With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into
                the state, keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity
                magazine. Cal. Penal Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any
                ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include
                any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, any feeding device that has been permanent ly
                altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds, or any tubular magazine that is
                contained in a lever! action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California does not ban the possession of
                large capacity magazines.

Its ok to have hi capacity mags as long as you bought them and your gun before this law was passed. New gun with new or old hicap mag I believe is illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikeman View Post
                  It is very hard to beat the Ruger 10/22. This rifle is available in many versions from basic to heavy barrelled competition and is one of the most popular and trouble free. Like the caliber suggestions of using a popular size the same goes for firearm, especially when you have magazines involved. The 10/22 uses a 10rd box magazine and has available 30-100rd magazines elsewhere in the US.

The nice thing about the 10/22 is that you can replace every single component with an upgraded aftermarket version. The bad thing about the 10/22 is that you kinda need to. Don't get me wrong, the Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle, but only after about $400 spent on one. They cost around $200 new (when they are on sale, like THIS week at Turners), but their trigger action typically needs a lot of work to get any kind of consistent accurate shot of them. Plus you'll want a decent scope, a nice WWII style sling for stability, spare magazines, etc...

For about half the price, but with only half the flexibility, you can get a Marlin 795. Arguably easier to use, unarguably more accurate out of the box, and only $100 typically, after rebates, sales and such. However, spare Ruger magazines are cheaper and more plentiful than Marlin mag's, and there are only one or two vendors making stocks and accessories for the Marlin 795.

These are all Rugers. Note the variety of non-stock configurations:

This is my daughters Marlin 795 (optional stainless steel barrel)

She's pretty good with it...at age 9
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

You need to watch SONS OF GUNS on the discovery channel. The RED JACKET carries some nice home protection items.

http://redjacketfirearms.com/
                    Last edited by curtis; 03-27-11, 08:16 PM.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Nwoods, does Turners also work on guns? You mentioned the Rugers possibly needing some trigger work. If not, where would be a good place to take it locally. Thanks

Thanks for the links and advice guys.

Comment

To the best of my limited knowledge, Turners does NOT perform any sort of gunsmith work. With the Ruger, the easiest thing to do is just buy an upgraded trigger assembly. KIDD makes well regarded stuff, but there are alot of others. Random example: http://www.eabco.com/102204.html

The best shooting Ruger I've ever used was worked over by the owner himself. I asked him what all he did to it. Said he just "polished and smoothed out all the bits". If you've got a Dremel, and some light sandpaper maybe just do it yourself. There are tons of HowTo's on the web, and even a few books!
                        - http://www.amazon.com/Customize-Ruge.../dp/0896893235
                        - http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ruger...ref=pd_sim_b_1
                        Last edited by nwoods; 03-28-11, 10:36 AM.

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

BTW> this is a great site for rimfire style weapons (which pretty much all .22's are)
                          http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out.

Do I need a hunting license to shoot rabbit or birds like quail or chukar?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                              Do I need a hunting license to shoot rabbit or birds like quail or chukar?
                              Great question. Probably! I don't hunt, or haven't since I moved to CA 20 years ago, so I have no idea. My slowly growing firearms collection is for at time when there isn't any permit issuing authority around to enforce the rule of law :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I found the answer on another website. The answer is yes I'd need a hunting license. Thanks anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X