Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar-15

is there a way to legally buy and have under your name in the sunny state of California an AR-15?
    i have my eye on one, and was curious if there is a loophole that allows it.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

this flow chart calls off the DPMS panther as (all ) illegal. this is what i have my eye on.

out of curiosity, if i were living in 2 states at different times of the year, and i had it registered to my name in the other state, could i bring it to california?

in looking at the flow chart in the link i posted above, it shows rifles as registered in CA prior to the ban date as "legal in the state of california". would this then make said "legal" weapon transferrable within the state of CA?

what information do you have on this matter?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

From the flowchart you posted, it looks like if it was registered in CA before the deadline, you're good to go, but if not you are screwed.
    I was at Cabelas yesterday and they had a similar one (don't remember the manufacturer) for sale in their assault weapons section.
    So, it seems to me that you can use whatever you want to shoot things up here.
    Don't you live in MN half the year?
    Last edited by Lawrence; 12-28-08, 04:26 PM.
    [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
      From the flowchart you posted, it looks like if it was registered in CA before the deadline, you're good to go, but if not you are screwed.
      I was at Cabelas yesterday and they had a similar one (don't remember the manufacturer) for sale in their assault weapons section.
      So, it seems to me that you can use whatever you want to shoot things up here.
      Don't you live in MN half the year?
      i do indeed live in MN for part of the year, but if i buy a gun there can i bring it to my home in CA as well, or is it stuck in MN?
      ERIK

Comment

Talk to Kurt/ ratpatrol he might have a take on it that will work for you

Comment

Hate to say it...........If you did not register it in California before the ban. It is an illegal weapon in California. Unless it is not capable of holding more than 10 rounds and the magazine is NOT removable.

I bought a Bushmaster AR-15 before the ban just because I could. Never thought I wanted on and I have never fired it. From what I interpret of the law. I have to keep the permit on my person when I have it out. I cannot let others shoot it, nor can I will it to my son after I die unless he actually lives out of California or it will be picked up and destroyed. I can only sell it out of state.

Very harsh laws in Communist California on this type of weapon.

Brett
          offroadwerkz.com
          (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php
            If you were to move from out of state, it looks like the key is to first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice.
            [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
              http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php
              If you were to move from out of state, it looks like the key is to first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice.
              nothing easy about having toys in this state.
              (A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2. (B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter. (3) Except as provided in paragraph (4), no .50 BMG rifle possessed pursuant to this section may be sold or transferred on or after January 1, 2005, to anyone within this state other than to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, or as provided in Section 12288. Any person who obtains title to a . 50 BMG rifle registered under this section or that was possessed pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 12280 by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 180 days of receipt, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, or remove the weapon from this state.
              ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                nothing easy about having toys in this state.
                Erik,
                Let me get you in touch with my Lead tech. He works weekends at a range, has a CWP and can answer all your questions from a very good knowledge base. Call me.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

a ar15 is still legal in calif but i believe it would be a stag 15 made buy stag arms to be legal the mag cannot be removed with out a seperate key or turners sells them where the mag is not removeable its loaded from the top any way to make a long story short cheak out turners or cold war shooters in san bernardino or go to the gun show this weekend at the ontario convention center because of obama gun sales are up 65% so a ar used to cost about 900 are now about 1500 i just bought a mini 14 and there getting hard to come buy but any way yes still legal
                  :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

ak 47 is still legal that would they just need to have so many u.s. parts and if it has a pistol grip no removeable mag unless there is a seperate key and also 10 round max

Comment

Eric, you can still have a legal ar15 "style" rifle in Ca. You would have to check the law in the other state to see if it's legal there. As for Ca. it would need a "fixed" mag or the rifle would need to be fitted with a "bullet button" so you have to use something other than just your finger or thumb to remove the mag. Also you are limited to a 10 round mag, unless you had hi-cap mags prior to the ban. Weapons that are "listed" on the ban are actually not legal in Ca., like an actual Colt AR15, or an actual AK47. Manufacturers get around the ban by not listing them as 'AR15' for example. The legal lowers would say, Stag arms, Nodak, or another manufacturer name.

As a Californian you can sell a banned weapon out of state, however you cannot buy one.

Comment

The best is to check with the DOJ or a licensed assault weapon dealer. Even "AR-15 style" rifle made by other manufacturers can still be illegal in CA. Bushmaster makes a "Post-Ban" one that renders it legal in NY, NJ, CT, and MA... But still illegal in CA.

Might also check http://www.ar15.com/forums/, a few dealers are on this forum.

Comment

aks are legal not russian or chienese but romainian wasr10 turners sells stag ar15s

Comment

thanks for all of the wonderful information!
                            kurt, i'll be calling you as soon as i get a moment to relax.
                            geep it coming.
                            links to quality lowers is desirable
                            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              links to quality lowers is desirable
                              I like this one... POF gen 2

I also like this for an upper... JP15

I think I also like the double action lower parts kit from rock river arms.

call cold war shooters in highland and see if they've got any lowers left.
                              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                              X