Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't decide what's next...

Well, I'm at sort of an impass lately. I can't decide which mod to do next. I guess I'd like some input.

I've got a BL, MML and belly-up sitting here waiting to be installed. Should I get a HP30 built up before that stuff gets put on or not? I'm thinking with the thicker manual front driveshaft it might be a good idea for skid clearance, not sure.:confused:

or...

I'd really like to get the cage built at 4xdoc, but I'm having trouble parting with the Jeep for 3 days and getting a rental car. I suppose I should just get over it an do it.

or..

Then there's bumpers and a winch. Maybe it's time for that?:confused:

Now for the real kicker... I'm scared silly to commit to an auto swap. Mostly because I've never driven one off-road. Yes, I've seen how smooth they are, I just haven't experienced it for myself. That's the biggest reason I haven't been spending the last few months searching for one.(more of a statement than a question)

Well, that's what's going round in my mind lately. Feel free to give your input, thoughts, etc... I need to get back on track.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

When did you decide to go auto ? I would do the mods you got paid for and laying around .

Comment

Well Jim, it's the JV thing. I've been out there, seen what's up and know I want to tackle those trails. All the folks that run that stuff regularly drive autos. I see the benefits, I just don't know if I can go that route before I've got a tow rig. I also know I've gotta do something to make 35s more rock friendly.

On the belly up install etc... I'm afraid with a LP 30 I'll have to cut the skid for driveshaft clearance. I'd rather not since a HP is in the big picture.
      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

If JV is in the cards eventually, maybe a HP Dana 30 is just not enough axle. Chris runs a HP Dana 44 up front. Etc, etc. You can see where this line of reasoning ends up. Tube frame to avoid fender trimming/sheet metal damage, coilover shocks, cutting brakes, blah blah.

Why not just wheel what you got til it breaks then upgrade? As far as cutting the Tummy Tucker, I don't remember Nth Degree Mobility saying that trimming was necessary for the LP D30 or the D44. If you do need to trim it, then trim it and just butt weld or overlap weld a patch on the trim spot when you are ready for the Uber FrontEnd.

As far as changing out the tranny maybe this is the wrong approach. Maybe you need two rigs one to wheel to pieces on the Hammers and another for everything else. I don't know if where you are planning on going requires tags, but why not consider picking up an untitled rig for trail use only with whatever tranny you need. I am sure an untitled rig would be very cheap. Not sure about emissions requirements if it is not titled.

At some point, the RockMonster can no longer be a daily driver, no?

Just my $0.02.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Brian, your Jeep is going to get trashed out there no matter what you put on it. It's one of the nicest Jeeps out there too.

Are you ready for the bangs and bruises?

Comment

JM... good points.

On the HP30... many out there (JV) on 35s are running it, with either superior axles or the Warn conversion, with great sucess.

On the Belly up... Mine's a Currie. I've got to call them and see what they think about capatability with a LP30 and a manual.

On the auto/second rig... you may be right. I'd much rather leave this transmission in tact and add an Atlas 4.3:1. I just worry I'll be sorry down the road. Maybe a beater with an auto should be in my future. Once I've got a garage that is.

Crickett... thanks for the compliment. The Jeep turns 7 this year. I'm close to really wanting a differant daily driver. Bangs and Bruises are like death and taxes.
            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

If you are looking for a different daily driver, look into something that will tow your Jeep. Even flat tow. It is a great way to get to and from the trails. You break and you still make it home. All your JV budiies tow, don't they.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Why don't you talk to Jim about the roll cage - it'll be done nicer and with more tlc than anyone else!

A little help for our Bro and buddie here. And you know you won't get screwed in any way.
                Kirk
                1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Forgot to add my humble opinion on order of mods:
                  1) Roll-cage, cuz we like you walking, talking, and swallowing normally
                  2) belly skid, cuz its your Daily Driver
                  3) winch, cuz everything else you have on your Jeep just gets you in to trouble
                  4) MML/BL, cuz you already have them
                  5) bumpers, cuz OEM bumpers are thinner than tin can steel and no place for jack/35" tires
                  6) HP D30/auto/etc. near the end cuz part of the fun of a Jeep is planning the future (not necessarily living it)
                  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                  2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

i'll let you know how this atlas works out... maybe this will fit in your scope in place of the auto?
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Did someone say Warn hub conversion and Alloy axles! Thats near in my future. Plus all the Warn junk can be swapped to a HP30 when you get around to doing that.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Very true Chris. My buddy recently went from a TJ LP 30 in his XJ to the original HP 30. He swapped over all of his Hub conversion stuff.

Personally, I would go drive a Auto on the trail, then decide if you wanna do it.

Igofshn, we've had our fights in the past about autos. I have since driven one on the trail and will attest that they make for very smooth offroad vehicles. You still need gears, so that you don't burn up the auto tranny, but i was truly impressed by the capabilities.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Cetrov
                          Why don't you talk to Jim about the roll cage - it'll be done nicer and with more tlc than anyone else!

A little help for our Bro and buddie here. And you know you won't get screwed in any way.

Yeah Brian ! Lets play with the New Bender I spent 3 grand ON !!!!! Did someone say prototype ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetrov

Originally posted by jim79cj7
                            Yeah Brian ! Lets play with the New Bender I spent 3 grand ON !!!!! Did someone say prototype ?
                            Thanks guys. Nothing like putting me on the spot. I now will attempt to be politically correct and not hurt anyones feelings...

First of all... Jim, you do great work, all of your stuff is first rate. I believe you would build a great cage for my TJ.

but...

I've decided to go with a "through the dash" cage design. There is one place I know of that has done many of these installs on TJs like mine. I've made an appointment with them.

I understand that getting through the dash and avoiding all the HVAC stuff can be kinda tricky. I figured it might be a good idea to leave the cutting of it (dash) up to someone who's done it before.

no hard feelings... I hope.:confused:
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

those through the dash cages are NICE! i dont know what is involved with them, but i can understand not wanting to be a guinea pig on that one.
                              what is the going rate for one of those fancy cages?
                              (if you dont mind my asking)
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X