Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Manifold/Engine cooking recipes here!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your Manifold/Engine cooking recipes here!

Posted this on another BBS, but signal-to-noise ratio was a bit unfavorable, so will cross post here.

With reprint copies of Manifold Destiny selling for $55 in tattered condition (this is a $10 paperback) on Amazon, I thought I'd just go to the sources here for good Manifold Cooking recipes

I have heard of the usual burrito/hotdog recipes, but I was wondering if anybody had any "Gourmet" recipes

To get things started, here are a few I was able to find on the Web

Lemongrass Shrimp, Green Beans, Trout with Fresh Sage
    Manifold Roast
    Squirrel Manifold Stew

Thanks in advance for all your learned recipes. BTW, if any of you have a copy of Manifold Destiny that I could borrow for just a week, please let me know on this thread!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

I am going to try those, but I am replacing the squirrel with chicken since they taste the same anyway. Maybe dinner can be ready by the time I get to TDS...

Thanks...I am going to research my recipes for engine friendly...(I only know how to reheat C-Rations on a Deuce and a Half diesel.

Comment

Hahaha! Is it really safe to cook on your engine?
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

that is pretty interesting... what? do you put it on the intake manifold? the exhaust manifold seems kind of out of reach for cooking on
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
          I am going to try those, but I am replacing the squirrel with chicken since they taste the same anyway.
          I've eaten more squirrel than I can accurately estimate (the smaller grey squirrels in North Carolina, and the larger, fox-sized red squirrels in Arkansas), and I don't think it tastes anything at all like chicken. The texture is completely different as well...

Comment

I only know how to reheat C-Rations on a Deuce and a Half diesel.
            I only know how to heat MRE's on a HUMVEE Got me through a couple of Reforger's

We used whatever would hold the packet BTW Just stuffed it in there.
            Sean M Higgins

"We all got it coming kid"

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
              I've eaten.. squirrel... and I don't think it tastes anything at all like chicken. The texture is completely different as well...
              I agree.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

qwiksilver: C-rats!? That's "Meal, Combat, Individual" to you, soldier!

Sarah: very safe to cook on the engine. Just need to make sure everything is appropriately wrapped so there is no splashing around. There are, or at least should be, no toxic materials in the engine compartment. Just make sure that your chow doesn't interfere with belts, intakes, lines (in particular the throttle).

NAILER341: Exhaust manifold is obviously the highest heat source, but you can pretty much wire your grub to anything that is close to the engine block. Valve cover makes a nice little spot. Just make sure there is enough clearance for the hood. I think I'd like to make a little metal lunchbox/oven to hang on my engine block for canned goods and for easy access. Could be more useful that the Premiere Power Welder, on-board oven!

PRegner: I like those tree rats real new, when they're just large enough to fall out of the tree, fried up whole in a little butter, shallots and white wine. Yummee! Older is tougher.
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  PRegner: I like those tree rats real new, when they're just large enough to fall out of the tree, fried up whole in a little butter, shallots and white wine. Yummee! Older is tougher.
                  The smaller North Carolina greys I like to fry-up whole in a similar fashion, but the big Arkansas fox squirrels are equally good either braised or stewed (they come out tender regardless of size/age when cooked that way; and bigger means more meat!)...

Comment

for lunch i usually warm up one of those $0.25 burritos on my intake (wrapped in foil, of course ) it fits nicely between the valve cover and the fuel rail. they also taste better since I replaced those darn leaky fuel injectors :yawn:

I've also re-heated pizza and poptarts (wrapped in foil. separately. and not necessarily at the same time.)

Put your lunch under the hood while you're airing down, and it's nice n hot by the time lunch rolls around. don't leave it too long, or it will start drying out and getting generally gross.

Comment

Sorry, I had squirrel when I was really little...very vague memory of an Okie babysitter who ate whatever crossed her yard...or so it seemed to me at the time.

I like the idea of an underhood oven. Maybe that will give me something to do with my Holly Hobby lunch box.

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed with all of this. Maybe we can get some more ideas together and come up with a feature story and "recipes."
                        Last edited by JeepGal; 01-14-04, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I guess it's time to experiment. Alex from New Mexico was enjoying Enchiladas when we went to Miller Jeep Trail.

I am dead serious about modifying a Holly Hobby lunch box into an engine oven. This is one for the guys to ponder. For those of you old enough to remember the old metal lunch boxes (or were a goth at one time), they were very sturdy (played kick ball with mine) and had a sturdy latch. The only question: where will it fit? (I am still debating on whether to paint it though.) Should I bring mine to the next run?

Comment

For those of you old enough to remember the old metal lunch boxes (or were a goth at one time), they were very sturdy (played kick ball with mine) and had a sturdy latch.
                            The Goths were the germanic peoples that settled in the region north of the Black Sea in the 3rd century A.D., who with the collapse of the Roman empire, established kingdoms in Spain and Italy. They were divided into two basic groups: The Ostrogoths (the eastern division of the Goths), and the Visigoths (the western division of the Goths). The Ostrogoths reigned in Italy from 488 A.D. until approximately 555 A.D., and the Visigoths were a power in south western Europe from the time they sacked Rome in 410 A.D. until 507 A.D. (in Gaul), and 711 A.D. (in Spain). Nobody alive today could have ever been a "Goth" (it is possible to be descended of Goths). Additionally, what in the heck does that have to do with owning an old seventies vintage metal lunch box? (which, by the way, I understand are becoming quite collectable)...
                            Last edited by PRegner; 01-14-04, 09:54 PM.

Comment

hmm ... i had a my little pony lunchbox ...

Comment

Working...
                              X