Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Manifold/Engine cooking recipes here!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRegner
    Nobody alive today could have ever been a "Goth" (it is possible to be descended of Goths). Additionally, what in the heck does that have to do with owning an old seventies vintage metal lunch box? (which, by the way, I understand are becoming quite collectable)...
    Whole movement started in Germany in the late seventies from the punks and the people were called goths because of the literature they read...gothic. They were also into the entire gothic archetecture thing. They listened to music from the early 19th century, dressed in 19th century clothing, worshiped Lord Byron and spoke only French or German. I got into it when I had a bunch of European friends after right after I graduated highschool.

It mutated: Robert Smith became God and Souixie it's Goddess. Vampirism and death became the obsession. In the nineties Hot Topic opened and goth as a look and lifestyle was doomed. Now everyone and their cousin in Hollywood owns a corset (Miss Brittany showed up on stage in one).

As for the lunch box thing...don't know who started it, but at one time in the early nineties you had to own one (for carrying makeup, hairspray, toys, food, cigarettes, phone book, etc.). They fell out of favor when the clubs started banning them.

Comment

The goth scene adopted retro as it's red-headed step-child. Unfortunately that included late 70's early 80's paraphenlia, including themed metal lunch boxes. Beware the plastic handles, they might melt under the right temps.
      I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
      1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Chris STILL has a Dukes of Hazzard one

Though I doubt that he'll ever use it the way you guys are intending
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
          hmm ... i had a my little pony lunchbox ...
          My Dukes of Hazzard lunch box can beat up your My Little Pony lunch box!
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
            The goth scene adopted retro as it's red-headed step-child. Unfortunately that included late 70's early 80's paraphenlia, including themed metal lunch boxes. Beware the plastic handles, they might melt under the right temps.
            That's why Chris is going to refit/modify my Holly Hobby lunch box...and watch Holly Hobby...she only looks sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
              Whole movement started in Germany in the late seventies from the punks and the people were called goths because of the literature they read...gothic. They were also into the entire gothic archetecture thing. They listened to music from the early 19th century, dressed in 19th century clothing, worshiped Lord Byron and spoke only French or German. I got into it when I had a bunch of European friends after right after I graduated highschool.

It mutated: Robert Smith became God and Souixie it's Goddess. Vampirism and death became the obsession. In the nineties Hot Topic opened and goth as a look and lifestyle was doomed. Now everyone and their cousin in Hollywood owns a corset (Miss Brittany showed up on stage in one).

As for the lunch box thing...don't know who started it, but at one time in the early nineties you had to own one (for carrying makeup, hairspray, toys, food, cigarettes, phone book, etc.). They fell out of favor when the clubs started banning them.
              I'm not sure where to start with this. First of all, the 19th century was the Victorian era, not the Gothic era. The Gothic era of architecture and literature was prevalent in western Europe from the mid 12th century until the 16th century. If people were interested in dressing in 19th century clothing, or listening to 19th century music (Beethoven, for example), that would make them Victorian , not Gothic.

As for the fascination with Lord Byron, he post-dates the Gothic era by a considerable distance as well. Byron lived from 1788 until 1824, and is regarded as the premier English romantic poet/author (not French or German). Byron's works usually center around a singular male hero figure, as evidenced by his epic masterpiece: Don Juan. Gothic lierature and poetry is generally characterized by gloomy settings, with sinister plots and plenty of graphic violence; very much unlike Byron.

As for the pathetic losers that walk around made-up like heroin addicts with poor fashion sense under the delusion that they are a powerfull, supernatural being (instead of the weak, loser that they usually are in reality); they are not Gothic either. If a person was to dress Goth, they would more than likely adorn themselves in coursely woven clothes, or furs, and be bristling with a wide assortment of cutlery, not simply clad in a black leather bustier, black fish-net stockings, and everything else in black to match.

Additionally, the Goths most certainly had to be far swarthier and robust than the weenies that embrace the "Goth" movement of today. They did, after all, sack Rome. To do so would mean that they had to get past the Roman Legions, and a society as a whole, would have to be pretty tough to do so.

All of this still begs the question: what has any of this to do with metal lunch boxes being "Goth"?

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                I'm not sure where to start with this....snip... All of this still begs the question: what has any of this to do with metal lunch boxes being "Goth"?
                What does any of this have to do with cooking on an engine block? Let's try to keep it OnTopic here, please?

---
                OnTopic content:
                A lunchbox/oven that is attached to the valve cover/exhaust manifold (not Holly Hobbie)

Last edited by jmbrowning; 01-15-04, 08:27 PM.
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I find it far more efficient to cook on a camp stove. If I ever have to be able to cook while I'm driving, then I'm out four-wheeling for all of the wrong reasons (besides, isn't this the "Off Topic" forum?)...
                  Last edited by PRegner; 01-15-04, 08:39 PM.

Comment

JMbrowning, that rocks!
                    Here's some cooking times from the site:
                    Carrots 2 hours
                    Corn on the cob 2 hours
                    Potato 3 hours
                    Stew, 1 litre (see below) 6 hours

I think that we have got to get this set up for Moab!!
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

It seems to me that wedging a foil packet over my exhaust manifold while four-wheeling would result in losing my lunch
                      But seriously, look for cuts of meat that won't be hurt by overcooking (ribs, chuck steak, etc), use a dry rub for seasoning to help minimize potentially flammable drippings, and wrap securely in foil. This would probably work better on a v-6/8 as it has a more stable perch for your future meal.
                      It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
                      and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

The number one reason I prefer a camp stove over cooking meat on my engine:

If you can't the get the food over boiling temperature, and keep it there for a while, you're basically making jerky, instead of cooking meat. My engine runs pretty constantly at about 195-200 degrees; water boils at 212 degrees (at sea level, lower as you climb in altitude). As a food warmer, the motor would work pretty good. Restaurants are required to keep cooked food at 140 degrees or higher to meet department of health standards for keeping bacteria levels down. I would try the engine for warming pre-cooked food, but not for actual cooking...

Comment

I wonder how hot the engine compartment actually gets. I know the engine temp is easy to monitor, but I personally don't have a thermometer in my engine compartment. Someone needs to wire up an electronic thermometer to monitor the temp so we can verify the safety of this cooking method.

And while I don't know about all that other stuff, having never embraced looking paler than normal, I did reference why the lunch pails are considered Goth. Even if it's a misnomer it still applies.
                          I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                          1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Oh, and since when did fads and styles actually make sense. I think you're asking too much.
                            I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                            1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                              What does any of this have to do with cooking on an engine block? Let's try to keep it OnTopic here, please?

---
                              OnTopic content:
                              A lunchbox/oven that is attached to the valve cover/exhaust manifold (not Holly Hobbie)

He's envious of my Holly Hobby lunch box which I carried while actually attending goth clubs.

Anyway, time to modify it for a new use.

I am going to try my enchilada recipe. There is no meat involved so the vegetarians in the group are welcome to try some.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
                                I wonder how hot the engine compartment actually gets. I know the engine temp is easy to monitor, but I personally don't have a thermometer in my engine compartment. Someone needs to wire up an electronic thermometer to monitor the temp so we can verify the safety of this cooking method.

after putting food on the intake at 10-ish (air down time) and having lunch at 12:30-1:00-ish, I've had food that was too hot to eat- had to let it cool down. outside temperature may be a factor, but if it is, it's not a very big one

Comment

Working...
                                X