Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called around the truck stops out here and the cost for the Cobra 29 with weather was $20 more expensive than what I found at right channel radios, so I just ordered it and a 4' Firestick antenna kit. I already have a mount on the way that uses the factory tire carrier bolts. Will see how well it grounds.

Now I am just waiting for Monday to arrive so that I can get it installed and tested before the Johnson Valley run. I have never hooked up a Cb before, but the install seems pretty straight forward. Is there anything to look out for?

Comment

Originally posted by Striker3 View Post
      I have never hooked up a Cb before, but the install seems pretty straight forward. Is there anything to look out for?
      Be sure to run decent gauge wire (18 ga is what I use) direct to the battery for positive and negative. This will greatly help to reduce audible alternator whine.
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
        Be sure to run decent gauge wire (18 ga is what I use) direct to the battery for positive and negative. This will greatly help to reduce audible alternator whine.
        x2

My radio has a lot of alternator whine when the engine is running. I've been meaning to run a negative straight to the battery since I wired mine using a positive from my aux fuse block, and just used the closest chassis ground I could find.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

On choosing a low-end CB there isn't as much difference as you might think. They pretty-much all come from the same production house in China and have virtually identical circuitry. Features vary, but most of us don't use special features much anyway.

You might be interested that Cobra and Midland both have a plug-in model with the controls and guts in the mike head. My Midland is configurable with a rubber ducky and a battery compartment for hand-held use, or cigarette lighter plug and external antenna harness for in-vehicle use. Advantages are if you want to use them in more than one vehicle, or don't want it left to the thieves at night.

Any properly installed antenna will work fine for off-road convoy use. And antennas over 5 ft in length are banned from Cal4x4 events throughout the state.

Comment

Actually, Cal4Wheel changed that requirement a while back to read:

"Antennas must be rigid or restrained in a manner to prevent injuries."
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

You're right. The old wording is still posted here and there but your version is on their current website.

Comment

We use the same requirements for our 4x4 program within the SBNFA OHV volunteers (except we added a mandatory CB requirement)
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by WAM View Post
                  You might be interested that Cobra and Midland both have a plug-in model with the controls and guts in the mike head. My Midland is configurable with a rubber ducky and a battery compartment for hand-held use, or cigarette lighter plug and external antenna harness for in-vehicle use. Advantages are if you want to use them in more than one vehicle, or don't want it left to the thieves at night.
                  I shied away from the all in one handset for the simple fact that I would like to change out handsets when they go bad. While this is my first CB, I am not new to radios and it seems like the handset is always the weakest link. I am hoping that the extra $30 I spent now will save me some money in the long term.

Comment

So I received the CB from UPS today. The antenna mounted easily and I was able to run the power wires to the battery...unfortunately the included wires are to short to install the CB anywhere acceptable, so it is off to the store tomorrow after work.

I did power it up and check it out. I was hearing some chatter on a few of the channels, but could not get a radio check. Now, I am in a very rural area, so I don't know if I am not transmitting, or if the people I was hearing were amplified. I was not able to get any of the weather channels though, just static on those.

One of my co-workers does have a CB so I should be able to check it tomorrow with him.

Comment

So I received the CB from UPS today. The antenna mounted easily and I was able to run the power wires to the battery...unfortunately the included wires are to short to install the CB anywhere acceptable, so it is off to the store tomorrow after work.

I did power it up and check it out. I was hearing some chatter on a few of the channels, but could not get a radio check. Now, I am in a very rural area, so I don't know if I am not transmitting, or if the people I was hearing were amplified. I was not able to get any of the weather channels though, just static on those.

One of my co-workers does have a CB so I should be able to check it tomorrow with him.

Both my CB's have the weather band and they are pretty much usless unless your are fairly close to a transmitter. I see you are in Joshua Tree and I believe there's a transmitter in the lower desert. You will probably pick it up if you drive Hwy 62 towards I-10 after you get through the pass.

I still feel the weather band is a good feature to have on the CB even though the reception is spotty in the Mojave Desert.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                        I did see your post until after I got home. I ended up with the Cobra 29LTD for $89
                        darn near Bullet proof,.. the truck drivers choice.
                        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I was not able to get any of the weather channels though, just static on those.
                          Here's a link to a list of NOAA Weather Radio stations.
                          http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm

It appears that the closest one to you is at Coachella, CA, on 162.400 MHz (channel 1).
                          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                          KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                            darn near Bullet proof,.. the truck drivers choice.
                            Thanks. I like it

Comment

It appears that the closest one to you is at Coachella, CA, on 162.400 MHz (channel 1).
                              Thanks. I think there is something wrong with my setup. I finally drove to a truck stop and was able to get radio checks with some of the drivers parked there, but as soon as I get on the highway, I cannot hear anyone talking.

The SWR meter is saying that I am at about 1.5 on channels 1,20 and 40. I have a 4' firestik antenna mounted on one of these http://www.quadratec.com/products/16180_000.htm so the antenna is between the spare and the body with 18' of cable running into the cab. I did not see any pinch points in the cable, and the line is not coiled.

Any suggestions to try out?

Comment

Striker, a few things to check:

Is there a knob marked "RF Gain"? If so, make sure it's all the way up (clockwise)

Switch off any noise limiters (ANL, etc)

Very surprised to see a "flat" SWR across the whole band - especially with a 4' antenna.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                                X