Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brice View Post
    thanks for letting me know about the disadvantages of the long arm! i guess i'll go back to the bunny trails!
    o.k. mr. "I've been to JV once so I know it all". :thumbs_up :cactus:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Ufb...
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
        4" and less + big rocks = short arm

4" or more + easy stuff = long arm
        I'll add my $.02 hopefully angering everybody.

I have run Tera 3", RE 3.5 and 4.5 short arm and RE 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 LA kits all on my 98 Wrangler. By far the best kit I ran in the rocks was the RE with 3.5" springs and a 1" body lift.

Short arm the jeep would climb anything. Side hill like crazy and was incredibly stable. Going to the longarm I get hung up more and the geometry does not allow it to climb like it used to. The vehicle shifts weight much easier. The rear used to plant and up you'd go. While climbing with the 5.5 LA it would lay back into a tire carrying almost wheelie.

Where the Long Arm shines is at speed. PreRunning and Duning. On the road it is a bit smoother too.

I am currenty at about 4" of lift with the RE kit and Poly Coilover kit. This is about the best it has been with the longarm. The stability is back but I haven't hit the big rocks with it yet. I did add a sway bar with the coilovers as I was sick of disconnects and the Jeep was retired from dd status at the same time.

Big rocks and not much else=shortarm (pure off road rockcrawling)

All around or high speed vehicle = long arm.

btw, I have wheeled Moab, JV, Fordyce, Big Bear, Pismo, Rubicon, Dusy, Glamis and a bunch I am forgetting with these kits. (Directed at the guy who listed every trail he's done)
        I can break a steel ball in a rubber room.
        Shaffers Offroad - El Diablo III - Soon!

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
          o.k. mr. "I've been to JV once so I know it all". :thumbs_up :cactus:
          riiight...
          And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

Working...
          X