Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in no way saying that anyone was making anything up. I just didnt appreciate the fact that you came on and started bashing everyones things. Just because someone has a kit that you dont like doesnt mean that you need to talk smack on it. And maybe its because ive seen more LWBs with LAs rather then SWBs im not sure but like ive said before Ive seen LAs do everything SAs have done.
    Oh and i cant see your rig, theres nothing in your profile, I already looked
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I use to run the tera flex that rockrat33 has now. As far as long arms IMO the extra flex is worth the chance that you will drag or hangup an LA. We talked to Blaire before buying the Fabtech he ran a prototype and had an issue with pinion angle other than that had no major issue for the two years that he had it. I would get the LA's over the SA's everytime. But just my 2 cents.

Comment

all you need to do is wheel harder trails and you'll understand, it's as simple as that.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

what would you call a harder trail I would love to run it. I've just got back into offroading so any good trails would be appreciated. We've run Bull Gold mountain which are hard for BB but not JV hard. When I get my front locker and some spares I want to run Doran, Ackey Breaky and JV.

Comment

Originally posted by 04crawler View Post
            what would you call a harder trail I would love to run it. I've just got back into offroading so any good trails would be appreciated. We've run Bull Gold mountain which are hard for BB but not JV hard. When I get my front locker and some spares I want to run Doran, Ackey Breaky and JV.
            the doran entrance is a good start, mostly I'm reffering to JV type trails.

If you can negotiate a trail fairly easily without two lockers you haven't yet seen the disadvantage of an out of the box long arm kit.
            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
              I was in no way saying that anyone was making anything up.
              No, but you implied by stating that you "have" seen long arms do everything short arms do that your experiences discounted the hanging up that we've seen the long arms do. I say you need to get out more. It's that simple. I've watched rigs on 5.5 RE LA lifts on 37's get hung where 4" SA's on 35's never even touched. If you haven't seen that in person, I suspect you won't believe it, but it happens.

I just didnt appreciate the fact that you came on and started bashing everyones things.
              Take off your OMG I"m offended glasses and go read again. I didn't bash everyone and I didn't bash everyone's things. I was specific, to the point and very clear.

Just because someone has a kit that you dont like doesnt mean that you need to talk smack on it.
              I didn't wake up one day and arbitrarily decide I didn't like something. I look at the value something has based on it's merits in what we do with our rigs. I gave the specific reasons why a particular kit may not fulfill particular needs if you're expecting ride quality to be near the top of your list. If you can say that the Tera Kit with Bilsteins rides well, then either your ass is dead or you don't know what ride quality is. In either case, you're recommendation if you make that assertion is to be discounted.

And maybe its because ive seen more LWBs with LAs rather then SWBs im not sure but like ive said before Ive seen LAs do everything SAs have done.
              Which begs the question, why are you making recommendations to SWB rigs if you don't have the experiences with them to make valid judgements?
              Oh and i cant see your rig, theres nothing in your profile, I already looked
              Come to JV on the Rookie Run and you'll see it. You'll also be more able to understand why our experiences qualify our recommendations.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

1) I can imagine that that does happen but im sure it has to do with lines and drivers skill as well. Not simpily the kit. And your right maybe i do need to get out more...
                2) Coming in here saying that this kit sucks and that a person has no valid input is pretty much talking smack and bashings people's kits in my book.
                3) Being to the point could have easily been, "For your application, you should get the FT LA kit." Thats to the point.
                4)Tera Kit and Bilsteins aside, ride quality to one is different to another. One mans trash is anothers treasure. Do go around bashing peoples stuff.
                5)Like I said, "Maybe its because ive seen more LWB" Im not saying that LWB rigs with LA kits out perform SWBs with LAs. I would imagine they perform about the same. And my original recomendation was for his application.
                6)I've been to JV with MANY MANY rigs (most of which were LA) and seen them do just about everything out there from aftershock to outer limits.
                7) Just chill out... dont get your panties all in a bunch. I just didnt like the fact that you jumped on peoples stuff and knocked it. not very cool. Just make your point and dont turn MJR into everyother forum site out there.
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                  1) I can imagine that that does happen but im sure it has to do with lines and drivers skill as well. Not simpily the kit. And your right maybe i do need to get out more...
                  See # 6 of your post. If you've been to Aftershock, then you know that the line through the last fall is exactly 1" wide. One inch to the right and you're scraping your headlight bucket, 1" to the left and you're dragging your pumpkin on the point of the rock at the top. That has nothing to do with skill other than being able to get on that line. It is the arms and nothing else in that situation.
                  2) Coming in here saying that this kit sucks and that a person has no valid input is pretty much talking smack and bashings people's kits in my book.
                  I said a kit sucks and a person's input based on his evaluation of ride qualilty was highly flawed and gave the reasons why. Take it however you like. Hopefully the person needing a kit can recognize you are defending a friend blindly, which is fine, but that has nothing to do with how a kit rides, or, the problems another kit has. I can't help you fix that no more than you can change the two kits.
                  3) Being to the point could have easily been, "For your application, you should get the FT LA kit." Thats to the point.
                  That's not to the point without the why. Anyone who spends 2 grand on a purchase just because someone told them to, is an idiot if they don't question why. For you to suggest otherwise is ludicrous. I deal with fixing crap that was purchased day in and day out because someone bought it without the why. Then I get to ask why. Why did you buy that piece of crap? Well, the guys on the internet told me to. But why did you buy it? They said it would work great. Does it? Well, no. Then why did you buy it? Because they told me to. That's just plain dumb.
                  4)Tera Kit and Bilsteins aside, ride quality to one is different to another. One mans trash is anothers treasure. Do go around bashing peoples stuff.
                  Actually, ride quality is very objective. Terms like harsh, darty, stiff, and smooth are a few of the adjectives use to describe it. Nowhere does trash or treasure come into play. Well, except for Tera with Bilstiens, it rides like a treasure chest full of trash.
                  5)Like I said, "Maybe its because ive seen more LWB" Im not saying that LWB rigs with LA kits out perform SWBs with LAs. I would imagine they perform about the same. And my original recomendation was for his application.
                  You made a recommendation based on how you imagine it would work. That's perfect. I think I'll run right out and dump 2 grand just because you imagine it will work.
                  6)I've been to JV with MANY MANY rigs (most of which were LA) and seen them do just about everything out there from aftershock to outer limits.
                  I've been to JV more than MANY MANY times with more than MANY MANY rigs. Now that we have a basis for comparison, go back and point out to me where I said a rig on long arms wouldn't make it, or that it wasn't worth it to run long arms out there or where I said that short arms are better. I've been very specific in my recommendation based on literally hundreds of rigs I've travelled with out there. If you've been on the same trails I have, then you don't really have a dispute with what I and several others on here have observed, do you? I was also specific to the original poster's needs in that for what he does, I suggested a LA kit based on the facts he presented in that the majority of his time was spent on the highway and then on the rough roads getting to where he needed a jeep. Where's the fault in that logic?
                  7) Just chill out... dont get your panties all in a bunch. I just didnt like the fact that you jumped on peoples stuff and knocked it. not very cool. Just make your point and dont turn MJR into everyother forum site out there.
                  I'm sorry you don't like what I said. Does that change how the Tera kit rides or the problems the Fabtech kit has? Wouldn't it be easier to just put up a FAQ at the top and say "Buy this kit"? Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. I've been making my point, you just don't like how I make it.
                  I am Savvy.

Comment

this site WOULD be like every other (crappy one) out there if we didn't correct misconceptions.

Blaine is doing nothing but pointing out positives and negatives regarding available products.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their input...I've been given a lot to think about before I throw my money down. I'd especially like to thank the folks who are either running the FT kits or have first hand knowledge of them. You went a long way to validating my faith in the company and its product.

It is good to see the LA vs. SA debate is alive and well as it often is. I think that the planned usage of the rig remains the key factor in choosing the right setup and that seems to be a point that everyone agrees on. I'd love to pretend that I'm going to be rock crawling to the point I need to go ahead and change out axles, differentials, gearing, and add even more rubber - but that is just not going to happen in the near future. And if it does, well, I'll need to find a lot more money and readdress the whole thing.

In any event, I'm coming home after a very long time away and am just looking forward to being in the Jeep again and in the desert - stock. When I wrench my final choice of kits on to the rig, I'll post the pics, and stand-by for everyone's take on the results.

Thanks...

Comment

Scott, SummitRacing gave me the best price-w/shocks
                        '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

No one is saying that one lift is better than the other just giving or opinons to the posed questions. That is the beauty of this site everyone has differnet opinions and thats why its great to pose questions here and not somewhere where the newbys get flamed. I was not offended by telling me my tera kit rides like trash. I am happy with it as it rides better than it did stock. JV is on my list too but I need a few upgrades I may before I go there dana 35 would be suicide. Again just my 2 cents and I appreciate everyones opinon that is why I wheel with the people here and will stay here.
                          Last edited by rockrat33; 01-19-07, 01:19 PM. Reason: add on

Comment

well i have a 98 tj with the full traction 6 in long arm and it runs amazing.. i think its better than stock.. and i am also running the 30/35 with chromoly shafts and 4.88s and such and i havent had any problems.. but then again here in michigan where there is lite roocks just more wet dirty trails.. lol and alot of tree damage..lol..

http://myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8001

you can look at it here.. again i agree with the guy ahead of me that this is just what im running and its just a suggestion..

Comment

thanks for letting me know about the disadvantages of the long arm! i guess i'll go back to the bunny trails!
                              And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                                thanks for letting me know about the disadvantages of the long arm! i guess i'll go back to the bunny trails!
                                I got a bunny rabbit trail for you........you can stack those pellets if you need to!...as soon as I can get dem bones out!
                                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                                WEB site

Comment

Working...
                                X