Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering which lift kit

My wife and I plan to lift her TJ about 4". I'm seriously considering a Currie johnny joints 4" kit. I don't know much about the various long arm kits, though I am familiar with the advantages. But there is a lot of cr@p being sold out there.

We currently do a lot of cruise camping, where we have to wheel with the camping gear tied down in the jeep. This load definately robs us of some clearance and travel. The headlights shine up into the trees most of the time. Lightening up really isn't an option, as my wife isn't as Army-hardened as I am. The stuff we have is already pretty light stuff.

Are there different spring options for these kits? I'm thinking we need something more substantial than springs intended for an empty jeep.

Comments, anyone?

Currie is the best short arm kit on the market. For long arm try Full Traction, Rubicon Express.

Comment

1 vote for RE short arm here.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
        1 vote for RE short arm here.
        I do too: 3.5" superflex kit.
        You'll probably need a SYE and driveshaft, but you could try it with a TC drop.

Comment

not really into a TC drop myself, robs clearence ained with lift, but it does let you run a higher lift till you can afford a SYE and Belly up kit.
          I run 3 inches of Teraflex lift witha inch of body lift, does good for me. the main problem I had with stock springs was sag under load, so I can see where you are coming from. Pump that puppy up.
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

I also agree with the RE kit, I would start with the 4.5 SF kit which gives you the adj. upper arms and swap outhe the 4.5 springs for the 3.5 which will actually come out to 4" when it settles. I agree to ZZR about the transfer case drop, if you can get the SYE and driveshaft.

The RE kit is pretty simple to install yourself. I just did mine not too long ago with some help from my good buddy.

Have to picked what size tire you want to run ?

Comment

Originally posted by FyrmanJJ
              I also agree with the RE kit, I would start with the 4.5 SF kit which gives you the adj. upper arms and swap outhe the 4.5 springs for the 3.5 which will actually come out to 4" when it settles.
              This is what I did. I had a net increase in spring height of 4" when it was installed. In the past year it has settled to just over 3.5" over stock spring height.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

If going with a short arm kit, I also say go with the RE SuperFlex. The only bad thing I have heard about the Currie is the rear springs are too soft so the back drops a lot when loaded with stuff.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Ahh, yes, thank you guys!

We'll go with 33x10.5s eventually.

I've heard other comments about the Currie kit's springs. Right now, we bash the stuffing out of the Kilby gas tank skid plate, but it's hanging tough.

I expected to get a SLE & driveshaft with the lift. Not so keen about lowering the t-case. I'd prefer to raise it. There is an Atlas (or whatever is comparable at the time) in the plan someday, replacing the mangled stock skid in the process. That's why I've given some though to a long arm kit. Don't some of those raise the t-case as well?

FyrmanJJ and goodtimes, you say to swap out the RE 4.5" spring for the 3.5" spring, and it will settle to 4". I'm confused. I would expect 3.5 to settle to something shorter than 3.5" What am I missing?

Thanks!
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by JpPassenger
                    FyrmanJJ and goodtimes, you say to swap out the RE 4.5" spring for the 3.5" spring, and it will settle to 4". I'm confused. I would expect 3.5 to settle to something shorter than 3.5" What am I missing?
                    RE springs seem run taller than the listed size. I am easily getting 5" out of my 4.5 springs.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

what the hell are you guys measuring????

my RE 4.5 net me almost 4.25" of lift.
                      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Some people dont wheel as hard as you, Brian. :cactus: :yay:
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Is that before or after putting on all the armor and winch

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Joel77
                            Is that before or after putting on all the armor and winch

Joel
                            doesn't everybody have that???:dunno: :tongue: :cactus: :yay:
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

RE kit-bash..

Originally posted by FyrmanJJ
                              >snip
                              I would start with the 4.5 SF kit which gives you the adj. upper arms and swap outhe the 4.5 springs for the 3.5
                              >Snip
                              This is the setup Jason at Redrock recommends for 33" tires. It rides great, is upgradable, and allows for full adjustment of your axle/DS angles. I've heard the shocks that come with it are pretty good as well, at least for a few seasons. He has really good prices on kits and parts: www.redrock4x4.com
                              I bought a LOT of stuff from him and he's really tuned into what works out there on the trail, lots of good advice. And you don't have to break the bank doing it.

The RE stuff is fine, it's all the other junk that starts to need attention when you start wheelin'. I think the RE kits are about 20% less than Currie. Currie pretty much builds them one way, RE has a lot of variations. If you have the money for Currie stuff I would go Full Traction LA and then go big. I like my Currie lift but I got it slightly used for half. That was the easy part, for about a grand, it's the other 9g's that I'm having trouble explaining away. :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X