Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blkTJ
    listen, I could try and give you a step by step... but it's kinda like giving directions to the airport after going there in a cab. I'd miss a turn and you'd never make the flight.
    In Brian's :yay: case this means sitting around watching the other guy do all the work
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell C
      My guess is, it was cut with a plasma, cleaned up with a small angle head, the bottom gap was filled by spreading the base of the bracket with a BFH, and it was MIG welded using 75/25 mix and spooling L56 SuperArc, welded vertical down.

That's just a guess since I wasn't there.
      Good call Darrell. That is exactly how I did mine.

Sorry I could not make it down Brian, I ended up workiing until 3:30 on saturday.
      ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
      00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
      97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Why vertical down instead of vertical up?
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
          It's done with a mig and almost without exception, few amateur welders and only the better pros are capable of mig vertical up.

I can do it, but it looks like ass.
          I am Savvy.

Comment

ah ok. well all my beads look like ass. guess i might sign up for the weekend welding class this spring/summer. Your beads and Chris' look quite clean. thanks for the pix!
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
              Like Blaine said, vertical down (I won't use the term VD as it could get confusing ) is much easier.

I'm not an expert welder, but my understanding is: as heat rises from the welding, traveling vertical up causes excessive heating of the metal and your molten puddle (compared to the machine settings you started with) which makes it difficult to control the puddle...at least that what it looks like through the lens when I try it.

I can weld vertical up, but I end up having to stitch weld it and avoid one continuous bead or it ends up looking like bird droppings.

Overhead MIG welding is another tough one, at least for me, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Side Bar: Hey, Chris. Nice to see you again. BTW, what did you use to bend the rear AR arms to clear the shock tower?

Comment

Like Blaine said, vertical down (I won't use the term VD as it could get confusing ) is much easier.

I'm not an expert welder, but my understanding is: as heat rises from the welding, traveling vertical up causes excessive heating of the metal and your molten puddle (compared to the machine settings you started with) which makes it difficult to control the puddle...at least that what it looks like through the lens when I try it.

I can weld vertical up, but I end up having to stitch weld it and avoid one continuous bead or it ends up looking like bird droppings.

Overhead MIG welding is another tough one, at least for me, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Side Bar: Hey, Chris. Nice to see you again. BTW, what did you use to bend the rear AR arms to clear the shock tower?
                John has a special die they made for their big 100 ton shop press. Lay the arm in it, mash it, comes out with the offset in it.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                  Sorry I could not make it down Brian, I ended up workiing until 3:30 on saturday.
                  no problem Chris.
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                    John has a special die they made for their big 100 ton shop press. Lay the arm in it, mash it, comes out with the offset in it.
                    Hum, I've got a rear AR planned and might need that offset. Since it's a die I figure the amount of offset is fixed based upon the shape of the die.

Since I don't have a 100 ton press nor their die, I assume this is something I could ask them to do before they ship it?

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info...Now I just have to save up some lunch money for those shoks!
                      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Hum, I've got a rear AR planned and might need that offset. Since it's a die I figure the amount of offset is fixed based upon the shape of the die.

Since I don't have a 100 ton press nor their die, I assume this is something I could ask them to do before they ship it?
                        Yes, just ask for John when you order it or get in touch with me.
                        I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                        X