Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey cut the CA,DS and the SB links and it's a done deal.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Well, I'm getting the cause narrowed down. I took Art's advice and put the Jeep up on jack stands today. I prepped Sharon for her help, but I didn't end up needing it to find a symptom that should lead to the cause.

I put the Jeep in 4High and first gear and popped the clutch. I hopped out and took a look at the tires and axles. The right side seemed to have a slight wobble at the axle housing.

So I put it into 2nd and took another look with the tires turning faster. Lo and behold, the axle was pulsing on the right side. Also, the light thumping noise that I had been hearing started up.

Check out these videos (sorry that they are so out of focus, but you can see the point). Right side with the axle pulsing (you can hear the thumping):

The Left side with no pulse:

The thumping seems to be coming from the diff, but that could be transferred sound (I hope so).

So next step is to get an impact wrench and a 19mm socket to try to get the rounded nut off of the spacer. It probably has about 140 ft lbs of torque on it now.

Then I plan to pull the axle and inspect it. I am sort of hoping that it is the axle since they are warrantied. If not, it will be time to pop the diff cover and check things out!
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Well, I'm getting the cause narrowed down. I took Art's advice and put the Jeep up on jack stands today. I prepped Sharon for her help, but I didn't end up needing it to find a symptom that should lead to the cause.

I put the Jeep in 4High and first gear and popped the clutch. I hopped out and took a look at the tires and axles. The right side seemed to have a slight wobble at the axle housing.

So I put it into 2nd and took another look with the tires turning faster. Lo and behold, the axle was pulsing on the right side. Also, the light thumping noise that I had been hearing started up.

Check out these videos (sorry that they are so out of focus, but you can see the point). Right side with the axle pulsing (you can hear the thumping):

The Left side with no pulse:

The thumping seems to be coming from the diff, but that could be transferred sound (I hope so).

So next step is to get an impact wrench and a 19mm socket to try to get the rounded nut off of the spacer. It probably has about 140 ft lbs of torque on it now.

Then I plan to pull the axle and inspect it. I am sort of hoping that it is the axle since they are warrantied. If not, it will be time to pop the diff cover and check things out!
        Whoa! That is as blatant as you can get. Hope its the axles. Might be the u joint though. Remember Moab and Poison Spider Mesa?
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

That has been one of the things I have been trying to get across. It's either going to be a bend or twisted axle shaft or a very stiff or sticking U joint. I am heavily leaning towards a bad axle shaft. Gotta go Superior EVO if you can get them or RCV and be done with that part. Finding a HP 30 housing still isn't a bad idea either while you are poking around under the front. Nothing wrong with trying to make the front bullet proof or as close as you can get, on a budget while running 35's

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            That has been one of the things I have been trying to get across. It's either going to be a bend or twisted axle shaft or a very stiff or sticking U joint. I am heavily leaning towards a bad axle shaft. Gotta go Superior EVO if you can get them or RCV and be done with that part. Finding a HP 30 housing still isn't a bad idea either while you are poking around under the front. Nothing wrong with trying to make the front bullet proof or as close as you can get, on a budget while running 35's

true enough. I need to make room in the garage so that i can get the jeep in to work on it. I plan to do that tonight, then start pulling the axle apart tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what I find.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Ya want me to come up early and help you?
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                Ya want me to come up early and help you?
                Sure, if ya want to.

I pulled the axles tonight and the passenger side does look like it has a very slight bend. Not sure if that is enough to cause the crazy shake though. The shaft was covered in gear oil, so i am guessing that if nothing else is wrong, I am going to need to replace the diff oil seal on that side.

The driver's side axle seems to be straight.

Tomorrow, I'll pop off the diff cover and take a look at the guts of the pumpkin. See if anything looks damaged.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Sure, if ya want to.

I pulled the axles tonight and the passenger side does look like it has a very slight bend. Not sure if that is enough to cause the crazy shake though. The shaft was covered in gear oil, so i am guessing that if nothing else is wrong, I am going to need to replace the diff oil seal on that side.

The driver's side axle seems to be straight.

Tomorrow, I'll pop off the diff cover and take a look at the guts of the pumpkin. See if anything looks damaged.
                  Is the end of the bend shafts where is slides in the locker polished looking? Like if it has been pushing hard against the center pin in the locker?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Is the end of the bend shafts where is slides in the locker polished looking? Like if it has been pushing hard against the center pin in the locker?
                    The last few inches of the shaft that enter the diff are slightly bent.. I had Kurt double check my vision and he agrees. It should be covered under warranty.

The real problem is this!:

What do I do with the extra parts? :

So it's broken. I have a general rule that if I break it, it needs to be upgraded. I'm very tight on money at the moment, so I will need to decide how to do this. First thought is about the ARB. Anybody know if a D30 ARB will work in a high or low pinion interchangeably?

[/COLOR]

Comment

So Curtis, I might take you up on your offer to go hacking out a HP D30. But I have a question about that. Since the HP's were in XJ's and YJ's, will I need to do some fabrication to make it fit a TJ?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Let me know when. The XJ HP30 is a direct bolt in.
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                          Let me know when. The XJ HP30 is a direct bolt in.
                          I know that it is Father's Day, but would you be willing to go on the 17th?

[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm sure I can do that, it's my day to do what I want.Right? LOL-- PM sent

Comment

Dana 30hp is plug and play and 33% stronger than a standard low pinion.

The hp 30 is a plug and play but you might want to truss it up a bit before install. The arb will fit in the hp30 fine. If you get curtis hp 30 and use your arb in it Id possibly be interested in the detroit in it.

Comment

Mike, I am off on Sat June 16 if you need a hand with anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X