Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wobble Weirdness

I just thought that I would share this. Maybe it will be useful to someone or maybe you have some thoughts that will make this kind of thing easier.

So, on the way home from Mottino, I had a little wobble at 55 MPH and it settled down (but not gone) around 65. I assumed that I had a tire out of balance. Out of balance tires happen to me more often than I think that it should due to the cheap wheels that I use.

Monday, I went to get the broken wheel from the trail replaced with an old steelie that I have. I swapped a couple of tires to test the out of balance theory and found that the wobble didn't change. Sharon rode with me and we found that both tires were visibly wobbling. Damn... Death Wobble.

I've never had it, so I guess I am due. Luckily, it is a light dose.

Tonight, I started the typical drill to find what was loose. I truly didn't expect to find anything with the obvious stuff, because I recently had the track bar, tie rod ends, and drag link loose and inspected. I did all the work so I know that I torqued everything properly.

Even so, lo and behold, the track bar bolt at the axle was loose. I so expected the bolt to have resistance that I almost busted my knuckles when I found none.

Well, that's easy right? Just tighten it. in a nutshell, I put a breaker bar on it and couldn't tighten it.

Okay. So take it off and replace it. No go. I got a few turns an then started rounding the nut!

I cut off the head of the bolt, punched it through as far as it would go, then cut the nut off with a reciprocating saw.

Unfortunately, it got dark and the remaining piece of bolt no longer lines up with the front of the hole. Tomorrow, I will use a come-a-long to adjust the hole alignment to get the remaining piece of bolt out.

Whew! Just crazy. This should have been easy.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

No worries, sounds like a fun event now take five breaths and start over.

reciprocating saw and just crazy, should have been easy?

take five more, you'll get 'er done

Comment

I have had my track bar bold back out the front at the axle before while flat towing it...scary!

Comment

Blue Flame wrench dude! Nuff said...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Blah, heat wrench, welder and a Dana 60 and all worries are gone lol.
          Make sure the holes in the bracket aren't wobbled out or otherwise weld some fat washers on

Comment

Anything loose in the steering system can allow DW to happen. Another culprit is toe out - the wheels fight each other to go straight. The approx. measurement difference should be 1/8" narrower in front than the back.

Comment

Mike in all seriousness, did the steering position change after the run was done?
              Fred has had some really bad DW after a trail ride due to the draglink bending during a trail ride

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Mike in all seriousness, did the steering position change after the run was done?
                Fred has had some really bad DW after a trail ride due to the draglink bending during a trail ride
                Nothing was bent from Mottino, but the ProCrap track bar that I have bent (again) recently. That's how I was so confident that all the bolts should have been tight. I did have the egg-shaped hole problem a while back so I welded a washer over the front hole. I couldn't do anything with the other side because there isn't enough access to weld.

I need to find a replacement bolt. King Bolt is where I usually go for the high quality stuff. Anybody got a source closer to Rancho Cucamonga for high grade bolts?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Rainbow bolt in Riverside north of the 60. Have you checked your unit bearings?
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                    Rainbow bolt in Riverside north of the 60. Have you checked your unit bearings?
                    Thanks for the lead on Rainbow. Yep, I have checked everything recently. Both unit bearings were replaced since August of last year. Fordyce was a bit tough on Mr. Green's suspension. Even so, those were the first things I checked before starting on the bolts. Bearings still seem solid.

[/COLOR]

Comment

If you are looking for grade 8 Holt hardware on Archibald just past rr tracks has a good selection.
                      You can make it

Comment

Since osh is gone now I heard ace on archibald was going to step up their bolt selection too. Ive gone there atleast 5 times in the last 3 months for nuts and bolts.

Comment

Actually Lowes has a half way decent selection off grade 8 and metric stuff.
                          When you don't feel like cruisin all over town Mcmaster car has all kinds of good stuff in their online store.
                          If there warehouse in Santa fe springs has it you will have your goodies the next day.

Comment

Fastenal, Arrow Rt. E/ Vineyard.
                            All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by flatout View Post
                              If you are looking for grade 8 Holt hardware on Archibald just past rr tracks has a good selection.
                              Ha! Funny that you should mention the Holt Ace. I picked up the bolt that i needed at that Ace today. I called on my way home from work and they were almost apologetic about their 10.9 metric selection. They had what I needed, but it wasn't as wide in the metric selection as the SAE options that they had. Definitely, this is on my radar now. This Ace is very close to my house.

Hey alittleoff! Thanks for the lead on Fastenal. I wasn't sure if they sold to the public, but I will check it out for sure.
                              Last edited by Mike; 05-31-12, 11:10 PM.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X