Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say check wheel balance, if you want you could borrow my wheels. I also have a go pro you could use to...giving you two cameras under the frame

Comment

Hey Mike I had about an 1/8inch of play in the new upper track bar tie rod end joint I used instead of the Rubicon Express heim joint that came with the track bar. I use it becuase I didnt want to drill my track bar mount. I had death wobble until I changed it out for the proper heim joint. Didn't think 1/8 inch of play make that big of a difference but it did. Better check all your suspension links too. Pull one out at a time and inspect each one.The old Rubicon express rubber bushing would rip and tear inside the bushing housing from the flex. The new urethane ones are the fix.

Comment

On the El grande, My d w was caused by worn front shocks. Leaf springs??????????

Comment

I like the suspend-and-drive idea. I will see if I can get home early enough to give it a try this week. I've used this technique to find some other problems in the past, but they were low speed problems. I don't think that I will observe from in front of the Jeep for this one! :omg:

Ryan, I appreciate the offer. I don't think that it is the balance because both tires wobble not bounce. Also, I have swapped one of the tires and both tires still wobble. Balance is usually isolated due to the shocks.

Beau, when the problem first started, I found a track bolt loose. They are all rock solid now, but the damn wobble didn't stop. Steering wheel barely twitches when it is happening. This one is really strange. Why don't I get the easy stuff? :wink: The bushings have all been checked with a pry bar and nothing with excessive movement.

Kevin, I haven't tested the shocks yet. It is coil sprung, but I'll try all ideas to chase this demon down. I'll probably check the shocks on Saturday morning.

I have another idea that I want to throw out there and see what y'all think. Look at these pics, Left end of the axle housing:

Right end of the axle housing:

Look at the axle seals in relation to the position that the axle is passing through. The housing has always been a little bent, but this seems more extreme than I have ever noticed before. I am wondering if the seals are putting pressure on the axles enough to cause the wobble?
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

If you look at the gap between the axle shafts and the seal housings they are equal now, Here is a simple test.
            Since you are going to drive it with the wheels of the ground start with the wheels on, if it wobbles take the wheels of try again.
            If it;s gone then try it with one wheel if need be turn the front locker on to get the wheel to turn. You should be able to pin down the cause this way. Let the wheels turn slow also and see if you can detect tire wobble or bounce when the tires spin slowly

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              If you look at the gap between the axle shafts and the seal housings they are equal now, Here is a simple test.
              Since you are going to drive it with the wheels of the ground start with the wheels on, if it wobbles take the wheels of try again.
              If it;s gone then try it with one wheel if need be turn the front locker on to get the wheel to turn. You should be able to pin down the cause this way. Let the wheels turn slow also and see if you can detect tire wobble or bounce when the tires spin slowly
              Good stuff! Thanks Art. I'll see if I can squeeze this in after work sometime soon. I'll let everybody know what I find.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I hope I'm just seeing things here but it looks like the right side (passenger) axle is not in line with the center line of the axle tube. Aka bent axle. Might want to check that too BFAM
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Even if it is HP30's are cheap. Mike if you need some help with this stuff let me know. I got plenty of free time in the evenings these days

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                    I hope I'm just seeing things here but it looks like the right side (passenger) axle is not in line with the center line of the axle tube. Aka bent axle. Might want to check that too BFAM
                    I hope it is that easy. The chromolys are under warranty. If you look at the left, it is out of center too. The axle tube is bent for sure. It has been that way since I put it on, but it is definitely worse now.

Art: I may take you up on the help offer. I rounded one of the nuts on the wheel spacer. It is going to take an impact wrench with a 19mm socket to get it off. I don't have an impact wrench yet. I do have a decent compressor though.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      I hope it is that easy. The chromolys are under warranty. If you look at the left, it is out of center too. The axle tube is bent for sure. It has been that way since I put it on, but it is definitely worse now.

Art: I may take you up on the help offer. I rounded one of the nuts on the wheel spacer. It is going to take an impact wrench with a 19mm socket to get it off. I don't have an impact wrench yet. I do have a decent compressor though.
                      You can always swing buy and borrow an 1/2 impact I got several floating around the garage.

Comment

your steering damper needs to be replaced.
                        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Mike pick-a-part in San Bernadino has half off day on 6-16 and 6-17. I have a sawsall with 4 batteries, and it takes about 10 mins to get one out. They had 4 or 5 cherokee's on tuesday. Let me know and we will go get one.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                            your steering damper needs to be replaced.
                            I checked it Bob. It tested as good.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              Mike pick-a-part in San Bernadino has half off day on 6-16 and 6-17. I have a sawsall with 4 batteries, and it takes about 10 mins to get one out. They had 4 or 5 cherokee's on tuesday. Let me know and we will go get one.
                              I like it. I'm hoping to get the Jeep up on Jack stands tonight and see what happens. If a new housing is the answer, I am in for the hacking!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Always love a good hacking...
                                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X