Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: I got a little thinky...

Seeing as I have to fix my bent mainspring on the front, I thought about my options. I'm now thinking about using a set of JK front LCA's mounted to the original eye brackets. The YJ spring is 22 11/16" from eye center to pin center. The JK LCA's are 22 5/8".
    As far as mounting the springs, I'm considering an XJ or TJ Dana 30 - or just fabbing up some brackets.
    I'm also looking for input on whether to go four-link, three-link, or put a bracket on the LCA's to make a radius arm setup.
    Does anybody know the distance between the inside surface of the inner lower tabs on the XJ/TJ axle?
    I know the radius setup would be optimal with a Johnny at the frame end, but for now anything is better than a bent main and will definitely out-flex and ride better than the leaves.
    Any input would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a set of JK front LCA's, TJ front shock buckets that have survived being removed, or an XJ/TJ housing in the Riverside area they'd like to donate to the experiment, please let me know.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

If you use some decent brackets and some reasonably strong links then a three link front is the ticket. Gives good flex, no bind and is less work to make. Also drives good on the street, my big beast drives nicer than my yellow Jeep if that means anything.
    I got some Ballistic brackets for a Dana30 you can have. Bought those for a project some time ago. They are the Ballistic spring brackets I bought the whole shebang and just used the lower control arm brackets. These are basically the lower spring mounts and the lower trackbar mount. You want measurements bring a tape and crawl under my yeller beastie. Seems to me the biggest challenge is making the upper spring mounts unless you can find some used 12" coilovers for cheap. Would turn the Jeep into a pretty awesome machine. Even coilsprings in the front would be a big improvement. Since you do machine work make your own links use some of the Currie JJ parts. You should have no problem machining the barrels for the JJ's weld them on some nice strong tube or make some fancy aluminum links. With a machine shop nearby all kinds a fancy things can be made

Comment

Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you are still up in the air about whether to run 3,4, or long arms then go sit down before you hurt yourself. And jk arms seriously get a clue. That isn't exactly something you want to mess around with. Get off Mjr and do some research about suspension systems. Come up with a plan and a budget for your jeep. Don't half ass something that can possibly get you killed. You saw how long art and others worked on their builds. Your ghetto suspension idea needs to go in the trash. Come up with something that will benefit you not hinder you.

Comment

Why don't you talk to Art about his "ghetto suspension"? I asked for input from people who have been there, not insults from someone who doesn't know anything about me or my rig. I do appreciate your concern for safety. Your attitude stinks.
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
          Why don't you talk to Art about his "ghetto suspension"? I asked for input from people who have been there, not insults from someone who doesn't know anything about me or my rig. I do appreciate your concern for safety. Your attitude stinks.
          6spdYJ, meet bails85.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Bails means well it just comes out wrong sometimes and no he doesn't really no what gives :-)

Comment

Thanks for the offer Art. I'll probably take you up on it. I'm in no hurry, so it may take a little while. Do you have a P/N or pics? I tried to PM but your inbox is full.
              -sons of thunder

Comment

You can find it on Ballistics website, they are brackets for a Dana 30

Comment

Art, I really appreciate your help. I saw an interesting 3 link setup and would like your opinion. It basically has the third link coming from the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side and JJ'd on a truss on the housing. But, instead of using a panhard, it used a hoop to reach around the front of the motor and went back to the same point on the driver's side - effectively triangulating the upper link. If you looked at it from the bottom it resembled a lower case h - with the two bottom legs mounted on the frame (and the drivetrain in between) and the stem of the h JJ'd at the truss. What would you think of this?
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

What you are talking about is a upper wishbone of sorts problem with that setup is that it causes bumpsteer unless you have the draglink perfectly flat at ride height

Comment

After reading my original post it was a little harsh.I had a friend ghetto up his rig and it did almost kill him. The home made brackets he made for his long arms didn't hold and well the rest rest is pretty much self explanatory. Luckily he walked away from it. I didnt mean to sound like a real asshole but safety is a serious thing. Ballistic sells the brackets for the d30 for an xj (Cherokee) they are made to replace the tin brackets on the stock xj d30 and are made out of 1/4 inch for strength. It includes the spring perches lower control arm mounts shock and tracbar mounts. They are 110 for the pair. Being that the yj actually has a frame on it you might have a better chance at making the project easier. No frame stiffeners and extra crap that us xj guys have to go through just to make the build possible. There is a lot involved. It is doable but you will spend a small fortune and countless hours on it if done right. As far as parts go I would use ruffstuff instead of ballistic. Ballistic has a bad reputation of bad customer service. And the ruffstuff parts I have bought are pure beef. In the near future I will be doing a front 3 link. i would like 4 but the clearance issues and the type of wheeling I do don't jive. The 3 will be just fine. And I would really take up arts advice as far as coil overs go. It will give you more mounting options and it will be easier to setup ride height. With coils you will be playing the guessing game. Post up plans and updates if you are going to do the swap.

Comment

Good luck on the build! I'm anxious to see how it goes. I must admit... I was even a bit irritated with Bails post, until I read the signature I hope it goes well for ya! You've helped me out considerably with any questions I've had on my little YJ, eveyone on MJR has.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          What you are talking about is a upper wishbone of sorts problem with that setup is that it causes bumpsteer unless you have the draglink perfectly flat at ride height
                          Art, by flat, are you saying parallel to the ground or LCA's, or frame? Seeing as I'm only running 32's and a minimal lift, I don't see the angle being too tough to get. I'll definitely check and measure everything before deciding. And then get your opinion. If - and it's a big if - I ever go to 35's, I'd most likely highline it and leave the suspension alone. As far as the coilovers, if I find a set before I get all the parts assembled - I'll definitely look at it. But right now I'm looking at what I've seen and what I have, and what's possible.

I looked at Ballistics site and saw their adjustable upper spring mounts. The ideas are already churning.

Bails, what specifically is the problem with the JK front LCA's? What I'm looking at is the fact that they are very close in length to what I'm running. They are used by an OEM on rigs weighing over 4200lbs for five years without changing - and mine weighs only 3300 fully loaded. Not to mention, they should be plentiful. If you have heard of a reason not to use them, I'm all ears.
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

I'd personally go with a 3 link...a true 3 link. I have a long arm 3 link that I got from Kevin and absolutely love it and would never go back to 4 link. My upper link ties in on drivers side. It articulates very well with next to nothing in bump steer. I would have to agree with previous post, a wishbone style 3 link will get very frustrating for you.
                            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Art, by flat, are you saying parallel to the ground or LCA's, or frame? Seeing as I'm only running 32's and a minimal lift, I don't see the angle being too tough to get.

you want the draglink horizontal with a upper wishbone setup or you get bumpsteer and binding of the steering when fully flexed.
                              A friend runs this on a custom built TJ and it isn't quite where it's at. If you can get the draglink horizontal and get it flexed out before you put the springs in and it will steer without binding then you are good to go. It's more work though, then a 3 link with a trackbar, which is somewhat simpler to make. There you want the draglink and trackbar parallel and as close to the same length as possible.
                              You can always swing by in the late afternoon and show me what you have in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X