Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
    Spring diameter is a big issue for this idea.
    Yeppers, and bigger diameter springs = less clearance for other stuff.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 03-09-13, 08:53 PM. Reason: included quote (new page)
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Shock body inside stock JK spring with shaft pointing up. I'll have to determine if it will be "long travel". I'm really just looking for a better ride and more travel than what I have. Keep it coming guys, thanks.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
        Shock body inside stock JK spring with shaft pointing up. I'll have to determine if it will be "long travel". I'm really just looking for a better ride and more travel than what I have. Keep it coming guys, thanks.
        Pretty small coils, those. Do you have the links mounted yet?
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Not yet. I've been having to design a bolt-on set. It's a little weird having to navigate around the disconnect housing - but the housing is needed to mount the upper link. Keep in mind it's a DD, so I have to get the measurements and build accordingly while picking your collective brains. The lower links will either be the JK rear lowers mounted straight off the back of the tube and have the axle dead-center where it sits now. Or... Use the front lowers in the same configuration which will push the axle 3" forward. If I do this, I'll have to flip the panhard bar upside-down which will put the axle end really close to 3" forward and then attach the drag link to the back of the tie rod, which will move it back about 3" to keep the steering geometry pretty close to where it's at.
          My overall goal is a better ride and the inability to bend another mainspring in the future. I don't need to be able to roll it on it's lid and still have the front tires still both on the ground. If it happens that I can get that - cool. Again, I appreciate you guys' input.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Scored a set of QA1 10x2.5 coilovers with dual springs. Looks like its 250/100. More brain picking to follow...
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Congrats on the coilovers. Those should make mounting space a little less of an issue.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	358273Does anybody recognize the manufacturer of these? They have no part numbers anywhere on the outside. 2" body. The only real identifiers are the Schrader valve location, the shaft spring seat is retained by a spring ring and the body at the shaft seal has what looks to be a knurled cap on the end. They have QA1 14-250 mains and QA1 1-100 tenders. Collapsed 20 3/8" extended 31 1/4"
                Last edited by 6spdYJ; 05-06-13, 08:03 AM.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Just pulled the springless one apart. The black lock ring at the shaft seal is a threaded ring to keep the seal body from getting sucked into the piston bore. It has a small set screw to keep it from walking off the job. The seal body is retained in the piston bore by another wire spring ring.
                  The shaft seal is an outer single lip with two separate o-rings equally spaced in the bore. There is also a bushing (bronze?) about 9/16" deep pressed into the seal body. If I can't find the manufacturer, it looks like a trip to Burnell will set me up quickly.
                  Questions... Are the seals commonly Buna-N or Viton? The oil smells exactly like 3-in-1 and feels like it too, does anybody know what's commonly used?
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Unless it's a cheapie, the seals will be Viton. You should use Viton if possible.

Different manufactures market their own oils, which they all claim to be "specially formulated." I don't know how much real difference there is.

http://www.kartek.com/Category/268/Shock-Oil.aspx
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

After a lot of coilover image surfing, I'm 99% sure they are Radflo. The biggest giveaway was the retaining ring with the set screw. I sent them a pic and description. We'll see what they say.

Just heard from them. They are Radlfo.
                      Last edited by 6spdYJ; 05-07-13, 09:19 AM.
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Well they're not cheapies.
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

What would be the better lower mount location, on the tube by the C, or on top of the C?
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

Lower mount bolt hole even with the centerline of the axle tube

Comment

A:Click image for larger version

Name:	4463246685_8a1d74361c.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	358278
                              or B:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00138_zps8ab51273.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	358279