Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
    Mine had the same symptom. 45 mph over just the right bump would shake like crazy.
    Death wobble can be tricky to diagnose. When mine surfaced I spent countless hours checking and tightening. 18k miles on the jeep, three sets of tires, all new steering, different design track bar, ball joints, alignment done myself. Being in a shop I have access to everything I need as well as some of the best techs I ever worked with. I have never had my butt kicked by something this bad. What fixed it was a new steering stabilizer. Go read all the forums and all the "forum experts" will tell you it cant be that. Well if all I did was bandaid the real problem, so be it.
    All my steering and suspension pivot's I checked with a dial indicator. One of my co workers wrangler with 100k miles had the same problem. fixed it with a track bar and tire balance.
    I put a new Rancho Steering stabilizer on before it started to happen. The Stabilizer is still good AFAIK, I took it off and it still had plenty of resistance.

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
    It sounds dumb, but have you tried rotating the tires? One out of balance or with separated belts on the front can cause DW.
    I've done road force balancing, rotated the tires and tried a set of tires from Brittany's Jeep. On her Jeep, the tires are smooth and stable at all speeds. On mine, I'll get instant DW at 55 with no letting up until I come to a complete stop. The puzzling thing is, her suspension has bad bushings and the track bar has play.
    We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

A little update. I popped on some Currie JJ control arms on the front (both upper and lower), and I think I can say with confidence that the steering shimmy is 100% completely gone now!

It must have been the old bushings on the factory arms, my jeep has 111,0000 miles on it, guess it was time for them to be replaced. Though I still have the factory bushings on the upper control arm axle mounts, sometime later on I'll probably replace them with the weld-in currie bushings, but later on.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
      X