Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what some of you seem to be missing is that without a body lift, you'd need an extra inch of bumpstop to keep the tires out of the fenders. thus you're ending up with more limited uptravel AND a higher center of gravity. who wants that? not me I guess. :2:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by paul_arc View Post
      personally I would go with the 5.5, but it all depends on how much work you want to do. there is a lot more things you need to change if your running 35's than if you go 33's. since you should change the gears anyways for 33's you might as well go all the way and do the gears and axles for the 35's! just my opinion though.
      Sorry to highjack the thread :hijack:, but I 'think' that it is related. Paul Arc, you run an 8" LA so I am curious about what trails you prefer. I really like rock crawling, but I am still not bored with steep climbs like Lookout Trail or even as simple as the falls on Dishpan Springs. I have seen the higher lifted Wranglers have some serious issues with steep climbs. That's why I am leaning toward the lowest lift + biggest tires theory. What are your experiences with steep climbs and descents? (For those of you that know me, yes, I'm trying to figure out the best arrangement to get up the Stairsteps at Pine Mountain! :wink
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
        I've just never been a big fan of body lifts (they are hard to install on a xj lol
        haha yeah i know what you mean, i just finished mine the other day... it was a pain in the ass to install but the guys at 4WPs were a big help
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          Sorry to highjack the thread :hijack:, but I 'think' that it is related. Paul Arc, you run an 8" LA so I am curious about what trails you prefer. I really like rock crawling, but I am still not bored with steep climbs like Lookout Trail or even as simple as the falls on Dishpan Springs. I have seen the higher lifted Wranglers have some serious issues with steep climbs. That's why I am leaning toward the lowest lift + biggest tires theory. What are your experiences with steep climbs and descents? (For those of you that know me, yes, I'm trying to figure out the best arrangement to get up the Stairsteps at Pine Mountain! :wink
          well I dont know what the stairsteps at pine mountain look like because ive never been there but the RE 5.5, no body lift and 35's really isnt high at all. plus you have a lot more travel. there is nothing werong with the RE 4.5 LA with 33's, I know a few people that run that set up and their jeeps do awesome. if your going to just stick to hill climbs, and trails such as calico then the 33's would be perfect but if your looking for an all around do almost everything (calico, hill climbs, johnson vally) i would go with the 35's. thats just my opinion, im sure other people have different opinions.
          97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Originally posted by paul_arc View Post
            well I dont know what the stairsteps at pine mountain look like because ive never been there but the RE 5.5, no body lift and 35's really isnt high at all. plus you have a lot more travel. there is nothing werong with the RE 4.5 LA with 33's, I know a few people that run that set up and their jeeps do awesome. if your going to just stick to hill climbs, and trails such as calico then the 33's would be perfect but if your looking for an all around do almost everything (calico, hill climbs, johnson vally) i would go with the 35's. thats just my opinion, im sure other people have different opinions.
            5.5 isnt to tall but your 8 inch lift is!

I would og 4.5 with 35s and if your hitting on anything like your crossmember then to a tummy tuck.
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
              ...then to a tummy tuck.
              speaking of flat(er)belly skids... if you're not running a high pinion rear axle, anything above 4" of lift and you'll run into CV bind real quick. :2:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

oh yea...I always forget about the small/big things
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

This thread probably doesn't matter anymore since Gwjvw just posted in the Welcome section that he sold his Jeep! Kinda weird asking all the advice for all the upgrades, never replying and then up and selling the Jeep....

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
                    This thread probably doesn't matter anymore since Gwjvw just posted in the Welcome section that he sold his Jeep! Kinda weird asking all the advice for all the upgrades, never replying and then up and selling the Jeep....
                    It is odd, but I have gotten alot out of this thread. I'm in the info gathering stages for the next lift. Hopefully sometime in Feb or March, I'll be in the position to do the work. Until then, I like to hear the different opinions....
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                      speaking of flat(er)belly skids... if you're not running a high pinion rear axle, anything above 4" of lift and you'll run into CV bind real quick. :2:
                      Yeah, I'd like to do a tummy tuck, but then I need to figure out a limiting strap for my rear end...
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

i can say that going from a currie 4.25 sprung lift to a 5.5 RE spring lift, the currie was a MUCH nicer ride. the 5.5's are stiffer and while i had the 4.25 i ran a 1" body lift and some 3/4" spacers. the 5.5's are about 1" taller still. 5.5 really is about a 6 1/2 to 7" lift. seriously.. 4.25 +1 + 3/4= 6.. well the 5.5 is taller than the previous set up.. go figure. i stripped the bl and the spacers hoping for no more spring drop outs and a slightly lower rig and i got a much bigger rig and what i wanted with the spring issue. now im thinking about putting the currie springs back in and running limiting straps.
                        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          i can say that going from a currie 4.25 sprung lift to a 5.5 RE spring lift, the currie was a MUCH nicer ride.
                          What shocks were you running on the Currie and what shocks were you running on the RE? I like Currie's stuff but I'm betting you weren't running the same shocks on both brands of suspension lift. To me, shocks are the main reason some feel some brands of lifts ride better... not so much the springs are stiff or soft.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I put on RE 4.5 long arms and running 35s. No issues here.

Comment

you lost that bet.

currie springs are much softer than the stiffer RE springs. i run and have ran bilstein 7100's in the front and bilstein 5150's in the rear. i had a complete currie lift and then went w/a LA upgrade kit. then i got the re 5.5's.
                              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X