Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE 4.5 or 5.5 lift

Well they are the same price, im thinking of running 33's and the 4.5 re lift long arm. is that a good idea or should i run the 5.5?

Originally posted by Gwjvw View Post
    should i run the 5.5?
    nope, no need.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Stick with the 4.5 you do need to go any taller...
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

And if i did go with 35's one day i would still be ok right? You never know.

Comment

Rat Patrol runs on a 4.5 RE and 35's and he can do Sledgehammer or 2N17X. I was thinking of a 6" long arm but after experimenting, I think that the biggest tires with the lowest lift possible is the best choice for West Coast driving. I plan to go with no higher than 4.5 but definitely go to 35's. But this is only my opinion....
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
            Rat Patrol runs on a 4.5 RE and 35's and he can do Sledgehammer or 2N17X. I was thinking of a 6" long arm but after experimenting, I think that the biggest tires with the lowest lift possible is the best choice for West Coast driving. I plan to go with no higher than 4.5 but definitely go to 35's. But this is only my opinion....
            Sounds good to me.

Comment

The 4.5 is the better choice. However, keep in mind you have to change your gears and axles before running the 35's. If you don't, your risk of breaking your axles is much higher!

Comment

I guess it depends how much growing room you want. Personally I'd go for the 5.5 with NO body lift. Yes regearing will be necessary for 35's. That is actually needed to ease the strain on all drivetrain components before the axles, ie. transmission, transfer case, u-joints etc.
                I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Just as an FYI, I run the RE 3.5 short arm super flex with my 33" tires. Full flex no rubbing. I've heard with a body lift, you can run 35" tires with the 3.5.

Greg

Comment

add 1" body lift.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
                      I guess it depends how much growing room you want. Personally I'd go for the 5.5 with NO body lift.
                      sure, if you want that little bit higher center of gravity, that would be the way to go. :thumbs_up:bonk::cactus:
                      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
                        I guess it depends how much growing room you want. Personally I'd go for the 5.5 with NO body lift. Yes regearing will be necessary for 35's. That is actually needed to ease the strain on all drivetrain components before the axles, ie. transmission, transfer case, u-joints etc.
                        For an XJ yeah for sure... but wranglers lift higher then XJs, a 4.5" is just right.
                        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                          For an XJ yeah for sure... but wranglers lift higher then XJs, a 4.5" is just right.
                          I figured many would disagree (seeing how I was the only one suggesting the 5.5"). I've just never been a big fan of body lifts (they are hard to install on a xj lol). I prefer to lift the entire vehicle high enough to clear the desired tire size. It was just my $.02.
                          I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a 1" body lift on a wrangler. I wouldn't go any more that a 1" body lift though, they look funny and all they do is mess with all the stuff like steering linkage, wire harness, fill tubes, vent lines, I could go on... but a !" body lift is fine, and if it lets you run the next size tire, go fo it! as for the drivetrain handling the strain, thats a big project for 35" tires and it gets pricy really fast.
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

personally I would go with the 5.5, but it all depends on how much work you want to do. there is a lot more things you need to change if your running 35's than if you go 33's. since you should change the gears anyways for 33's you might as well go all the way and do the gears and axles for the 35's! just my opinion though.
                              97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Working...
                              X