This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson or firestick 3' ?

Anyone have the wilson 3' stick with ground strap? A guy told me that the firesticks have a gound canceling problem?

I went with wilson, no problems here. I bought mine from a cb shop who highly recommended it over the firestik.

Comment

both are fine.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

There is no such thing as a "ground canceling" problem, whoevever told you that knows nothing about antennas. For desert terrain, I prefer the less flexible Firestik as it doesn't sway around and bang into stuff as you roll over difficult terrain. For areas full of trees and shrubs, the Wilson is very flexible so it would get through them more easily.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/fg.htm#flex

i use the wilson fiberglass antenna, and like it.
          i have tried the firesticks, broken a couple, and been unable to tune others. this wilson has been good to me.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Gary,

I use a Wilson 4' fiberglass antenna and it works great. Also the fiberglass Wilsons are not flexable and are well built. You can buy either antenna from the Pilot Center truck stop on Joshua @ Hwy 395 in Hesperia.

Mitch

Comment

I wonder who did that test?? lol

I have both on different rigs- both tune and work fine for me.
              T
              456's 2 lockers 4 disc brakes 8.8 lots of skid plates

Comment

As far as the grounding or canceling (?) the Firestik I use has 18' of antenna cable that also acts as the ground or self grounding, it works great, well that's what I've been told. If you shorten it you'll lose grounding....signal. Perhaps this is what he meant.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                  As far as the grounding or canceling (?) the Firestik I use has 18' of antenna cable that also acts as the ground or self grounding, it works great, well that's what I've been told. If you shorten it you'll lose grounding....signal. Perhaps this is what he meant.

B&T TJ
                  18' of cable has nothing to do with anything, the 18' length thing is strictly an old myth that has been disproven many times. Shortening the cable does not affect anything other than making it so you don't have as much excess cable. Coax cable length does not affect antennas like we use on Jeeps.

Coax length only affects anything in very unique antennas where balanced feedline is used, which our Jeeps do not use.

Comment

Oh no, not the 18' coax myth ........again
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Well in my case the coax is the ground. The antenna is not grounded to the Jeep but isolated (Info from Firestik installation instructions). Not knowing much I just followed the instructions, what a concept.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                        Well in my case the coax is the ground. The antenna is not grounded to the Jeep but isolated (Info from Firestik installation instructions). Not knowing much I just followed the instructions, what a concept.

B&T TJ
                        Yes of course the coax is part of the ground but the primary ground for the antenna system itself is provided by the mount that bolts to the Jeep, which the coax connects to. All we're saying is that the cable length has nothing to do with grounding, "ground canceling", or how the antenna tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          Yes of course the coax is part of the ground but the primary ground for the antenna system itself is provided by the mount that bolts to the Jeep, which the coax connects to. All we're saying is that the cable length has nothing to do with grounding, "ground canceling", or how the antenna tunes.
                          Sorry Jerry, my mount is cast alumnium, not much ground there and has these nylon washer isolating it from the mount. They call it "No-Ground-Plane Antenna System". They do exist. I think their popular in marine applications too.

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Hope this clears it up.

B&T TJ

Comment

Nothing wrong with aluminum, it doesn't have an equal factor to copper as a conductor - but it's still a decent ground (until the galvanic corrosion sets in anyway)

Your link is to the main page, couldn't check out your particular mount. Typically "no ground plane" antennas are shunt fed dipoles - different antenna entirely.

If your mount is what I think it is - the center conductor is isolated from the mount by the nylon bushing, the outer braid is electrically continuous with it.
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              Nothing wrong with aluminum, it doesn't have an equal factor to copper as a conductor - but it's still a decent ground (until the galvanic corrosion sets in anyway)

Your link is to the main page, couldn't check out your particular mount. Typically "no ground plane" antennas are shunt fed dipoles - different antenna entirely.

If your mount is what I think it is - the center conductor is isolated from the mount by the nylon bushing, the outer braid is electrically continuous with it.
                              Bingo!
                              You have to poke around that link. On the right, No-Ground-Plane... That will take you to another page...
                              I use it with the popular Cobra CB. I've been told the signal and quality was very clear.

B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X