Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
    Bucks are best spent on gasoline getting seat time. In a perfect world, "first jeeps" would be delivered with the hood locked, tack welds on all the "changeables"

Put 10 tanks of fuel through it in 4WD - you'll answer the question for yourself.
    Wise words from an old fart...
    point well taken.

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
      Yes.

I tried an external pump (Mallory) and it sucked. First it seemed to lose prime then it started leaking so I dumped it. I wanted an external pump for easy access but I was led to believe that for fuel injection systems working at high angles of attack(!) in-tank pumps work better.
      This is the exact pump I was thinking..But also have their regulator, dumping the Jeeps. Was the pump originally above or below the bottom of the tank? I had an electric on my boat, and until I put it below the bottom of the tank, I had fuel problems and it was very (Holley blue) noisy.
      If you think about it, a fuel tank wants to be narrow and deep not wide and shallow. The tank fits great but it is on the shallow side.
      Exactly why in my first post I asked how the fuel pickup was going on the trails I've thought about doing something like this, but with two or even three shallow fuel cells under the rear seat. Then connect them all with a couple of small holes. That way you would have to be standing on end for a long time before all of the fuel left filtered through each tank.

Either way... I like your setup! It definately got the wheels turning!!!!!!

Where do you add fuel???? It sounds like in your last thread, that you have an external standard filler (stock style)?
      '04 Rubicon with all the goodies...
      Jeeperman.com
      DiffsOnly.com

Comment

Originally posted by waynehartwig View Post
        This is the exact pump I was thinking..But also have their regulator, dumping the Jeeps. Was the pump originally above or below the bottom of the tank? I had an electric on my boat, and until I put it below the bottom of the tank, I had fuel problems and it was very (Holley blue) noisy.

Exactly why in my first post I asked how the fuel pickup was going on the trails I've thought about doing something like this, but with two or even three shallow fuel cells under the rear seat. Then connect them all with a couple of small holes. That way you would have to be standing on end for a long time before all of the fuel left filtered through each tank.

Either way... I like your setup! It definately got the wheels turning!!!!!!

Where do you add fuel???? It sounds like in your last thread, that you have an external standard filler (stock style)?
        I installed the Mallory pump very carefully. The pump rotor was below the bottom of the tank, the lines were formed so as not to stress the pump etc...The pump would either not run, lose prime, or leak.

If I was going to do it again, I would spend the money on a custom tank with baffles and a sump. I had no idea how much time and energy I was going to invest in making an off the shelf fuel cell work.

I made a remote filler neck that connects to the tank through the floor. The fill flange fits between the drivers door and the rear wheel. I might have a pic somewhere.

The final headache was venting. To cut a long story short I capped off the vent in the tank. I installed a fill vent (1/2") from the tank fill flange to the top of the fill neck. I then installed a running vent (1/8") from the fill neck to the vapor canister.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
          Alright, to anyone... whats the best (most cost effective) engine mod you've done to your YJ? How about drivetrain? where do you think the bucks are best spent??
          Engine mods: none. Just get new belts, fluids, hoses, rotor, cap, thermostat, blah blah and call it good.

Comment

Finally finished the clutch job (in this sucky weather Ct.'s having) and I think the 1st and 2nd cyncromesh is showing it's age. Is it sheaper to do a new cyncro on an old trans or can I scavenge a new gear box out of a 91' cherokee w/ a 6cyl and stick? Also, could I utilize the cherokee's front end and make it fit my close to stock yj.... with fabrication of course. Anyone done this yet? anyone have ideas?

Comment

Finally finished the clutch job (in this sucky weather Ct.'s having) and I think the 1st and 2nd cyncromesh is showing it's age. Is it sheaper to do a new cyncro on an old trans or can I scavenge a new gear box out of a 91' cherokee w/ a 6cyl and stick? Also, could I utilize the cherokee's front end and make it fit my close to stock yj.... with fabrication of course. Anyone done this yet? anyone have ideas?
              NV3550 (Rubicon) or even NV4500 would be a much better swap.

As long as both axles are HPD30's, there shouldn't be any other issues to account for... If they aren't, then you will have driveline length (too short/long) issues...
              Jeeperman.com
              DiffsOnly.com

Comment

Depending on how bad it is you might want to try Red Line MTL90. It is formulated to make old synchros work better.

Comment

Depending on how bad it is you might want to try Red Line MTL90. It is formulated to make old synchros work better.
                  Exactly. While on the topic, what kind of fluid did you put in it/or what is in it now? Non foaming 30w is a good choice.
                  Jeeperman.com
                  DiffsOnly.com

Comment

Originally posted by waynehartwig View Post
                    Exactly. While on the topic, what kind of fluid did you put in it/or what is in it now? Non foaming 30w is a good choice.
                    Good question, and good suggestions! I'm unfortunately unsure on nearly all questions, so I probably should go ahead with a gear oil change. I'll look into redline, but I've never heard of it. Where do you usually find it?

Comment

Good question, and good suggestions! I'm unfortunately unsure on nearly all questions, so I probably should go ahead with a gear oil change. I'll look into redline, but I've never heard of it. Where do you usually find it?
                      I am highly sceptical of any quick fixes but I tried MTL in my '92 AX-15 and it made a significant difference.

You can normally find it in speciality Hot Rod, Racing, Performance stores.

Comment

..Yeah, definately check that out because gear oil (75w) will make you wish you were walking! ..very hard shifting..
                        Jeeperman.com
                        DiffsOnly.com

Comment

you can find it here.
                          http://www.synlubes.com/redline/gearoil.html

search google
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                          X