Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aston View Post
    I just sleeved the tubing, w/o a bushing, a little grease and it's happy.
    Is the top bar the only one that slips or does it slip at the part that the upper and lower create the "Y" aft of the crossmember?

Comment

Where'd you get that spiffy tank??

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
        Is the top bar the only one that slips or does it slip at the part that the upper and lower create the "Y" aft of the crossmember?
        The slip joint is in the top bar 6" back from the cross member.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Where'd you get that spiffy tank??
          That is an RCI tank from Summit 7" x 17" x 30"

That was a lot of work.

Comment

That is an RCI tank from Summit 7" x 17" x 30"

That was a lot of work.
            When you are off camber, say on a water fall or etc, do you run out of gas? What about when you are low on fuel? I really like that. Most of the stretches I see/done have moved the tank into the passenger compartment or above the diff. Why was this so hard?
            '04 Rubicon with all the goodies...
            Jeeperman.com
            DiffsOnly.com

Comment

Originally posted by waynehartwig View Post
              When you are off camber, say on a water fall or etc, do you run out of gas? What about when you are low on fuel? I really like that. Most of the stretches I see/done have moved the tank into the passenger compartment or above the diff. Why was this so hard?
              I have not had any fuel pick up issues, and I have been trying :yay:

The tank shape is far from ideal so I tend to keep it topped up before hitting the trail. I made up a dual pick up arrangement with valves that close when they see air.

Hard stuff:
              Internal fuel pump
              Electrical connections
              Venting scheme
              Remote fill neck

Comment

I have not had any fuel pick up issues, and I have been trying :yay:

The tank shape is far from ideal so I tend to keep it topped up before hitting the trail. I made up a dual pick up arrangement with valves that close when they see air.

Hard stuff:
                Internal fuel pump
                Electrical connections
                Venting scheme
                Remote fill neck
                Got any more pics of it and the install?

Why did you go with a internal fuel pump? And not external with a regulator?

What about the shape you did not like? It looks like it goes right in there like a shoe horn!
                '04 Rubicon with all the goodies...
                Jeeperman.com
                DiffsOnly.com

Comment

you don't strike the tank? I diddn't see a skid plate, but can't tell if its just seriously recessed between the rails.

So the front bar is a short shaft and the Y part is a one piece w/ the rear tubing for the top of the axle welded into the "slip" tubing? Just trying to understand the mechanics. It makes sense to me but I can't completely discern the actual arrangement from here.

Comment

What about the shape you did not like? It looks like it goes right in there like a shoe horn!
                    Yes.

I tried an external pump (Mallory) and it sucked. First it seemed to lose prime then it started leaking so I dumped it. I wanted an external pump for easy access but I was led to believe that for fuel injection systems working at high angles of attack(!) in-tank pumps work better.

Armed with that advice I installed a Venom pump which required custom mounting brackets, electrical connections and plumbing but it has worked flawlessly. A little noisy perhaps but I can live with that.

The regulator sits on the fuel rail so is unaffected, but I changed it just for good measure.

What else....oh yeah...

If you think about it, a fuel tank wants to be narrow and deep not wide and shallow. The tank fits great but it is on the shallow side.

Comment

you don't strike the tank? I diddn't see a skid plate, but can't tell if its just seriously recessed between the rails.

So the front bar is a short shaft and the Y part is a one piece w/ the rear tubing for the top of the axle welded into the "slip" tubing? Just trying to understand the mechanics. It makes sense to me but I can't completely discern the actual arrangement from here.
                      Bloody Hell!!

Is this clear enough?

The tank is tucked up inside the frame rails, I would be having other issues if it got whacked.

Comment

This shows the original Mallory pump. It is still around here somewhere!

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6264

Comment

Bloody Hell!!

Is this clear enough?

The tank is tucked up inside the frame rails, I would be having other issues if it got whacked.
                          Much better!

Comment

Alright, to anyone... whats the best (most cost effective) engine mod you've done to your YJ? How about drivetrain? where do you think the bucks are best spent??

Comment

best bucks spent for me were lockers... they make the difference
                              therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Bucks are best spent on gasoline getting seat time. In a perfect world, "first jeeps" would be delivered with the hood locked, tack welds on all the "changeables"

Put 10 tanks of fuel through it in 4WD - you'll answer the question for yourself.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY
                                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                                X