Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
    I have 33X12.5s and run a 15X10 rim. So far they've held the bead without a problem. But i would have much rather had 15X8s but i got mine on a deal so its all good. They work fine and i havent lost a bead yet.
    I think my wheels are 15x8, but I have to measure to be sure. They don't stick out too far so I'm just assuming. what don't you like about your x10 wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post

Detroit = strong and reliable. No freakin O rings to leak :yay:

I can send you a pic when I get home .... sent from MJR mission control
      Aston- is your detroit selectable? how's the day to day traveling with your locker on pavement? Wasup on your traction setup?? :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
        I think my wheels are 15x8, but I have to measure to be sure. They don't stick out too far so I'm just assuming. what don't you like about your x10 wheels?
        Well since i chopped my fenders all up, with the X10 wheels, they stick out REALLY far, im surprised i havent gotten pulled over for it yet. (crossing fingers...) and with the wider rim, it is easier to blow a bead but like i said so far i havent, but then again i stay around 15psi when i go out. Oh and if you have stock rims im pretty sure their 15X7s
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
          Well since i chopped my fenders all up, with the X10 wheels, they stick out REALLY far, im surprised i havent gotten pulled over for it yet. (crossing fingers...) and with the wider rim, it is easier to blow a bead but like i said so far i havent, but then again i stay around 15psi when i go out. Oh and if you have stock rims im pretty sure their 15X7s
          nah, I think the kid b4 me got a package out of summet with these cheap but pretty good looking craigar steel wheels and they fit the 32x (11.5 or 12.5)...brainfart...tires pretty nicely. They dont stick out badly so I guess I'll run w/ it for now. My whole thing on this build is going for mechanical bling, not show n' shine. I'll eventually black out most everything and once the pretty red maaco job gets a beatin' I'll swap the tub and paint it OD w/ military brown& grey + a bit more black.... I think b4 the mice destroyed the box from the spare wheel I caught 15x8 somewhere.

Comment

Yeah, in that case they are most likely x8s. Sounds like your Jeeps gonna be sweet. Good luck!
            -Allen
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I may be aquiring a 84' f150 2x4 soon. I'm buying it for the cab so I can get my desel f250 on the road, but the carbed 302 runs and drives. Has anyone here ever done a 302 swap in?? if its a standard, would the trans be useful?

Comment

I remember a tec article on petersen's about soa vs sua but couldn't find it again. I think the long and short of it was an soa meant more leverage on the pack allowing axlewrap. Sua left the clearance to be less desirable, but axlewrap under controll. Am I wrong on this?? I've been looking at the option of doing a sua 4" kit w/ my 2" shackle (shackle lift is more like 1.5"). Any oppinions?

Rusty's off road is offering a military wrap kit 4" sua w/ kydex or kevlar pads and yada yada yahh.... anyone have thoughts on a military wrap or rusty for that matter?
                here is soa with RE 1.5" springs..
                therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Aston- is your detroit selectable? how's the day to day traveling with your locker on pavement? Wasup on your traction setup?? :confused:
                  Ooops...I have been asleep at the switch.

I have Detroits F and R. Detroits lock and release automatically. On the road they bang and pop occasionally but it doesn't bother me. They also torque steer, again this doesn't bother me: my arm has learnt to anticipate a shift and corrects automatically.

Traction bar...ah yah...the flash on my digcam is FUBAR and I was too lazy to take pics on the trail the other day. I'll try harder this weekend. The traction (or ladder) bar comprises of a bar mounted to the axle...blah, blah, blah - i'll take the friggin' pic.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                    Ooops...I have been asleep at the switch.
                    Traction bar...ah yah...the flash on my digcam is FUBAR and I was too lazy to take pics on the trail the other day. I'll try harder this weekend. The traction (or ladder) bar comprises of a bar mounted to the axle...blah, blah, blah - i'll take the friggin' pic.
                    Haha, sounds like u need a new camera! FUBAR... ain't heard that in a while. I also havent heard of tourque-steer. I can assume from the name, but I hate to make an ass of "U & ME". Just how bad is it? How reliable are the lockers... they ever just unlock on the trail?

jeeper89- I think it's you I read the buildup on, but I forget what tire size u use on that SOA. PS- cool site, but I had to highlight the text just to read it!

Has anyone heard of or seen first hand these tera-flex mono leafes made of fiber glass?? I'm slightly skeptical, but my interest is piqued. Anyone actually take the gamble on them yet?

Comment

Haha, sounds like u need a new camera! FUBAR... ain't heard that in a while. I also havent heard of tourque-steer. I can assume from the name, but I hate to make an ass of "U & ME". Just how bad is it? How reliable are the lockers... they ever just unlock on the trail?

jeeper89- I think it's you I read the buildup on, but I forget what tire size u use on that SOA. PS- cool site, but I had to highlight the text just to read it!

Has anyone heard of or seen first hand these tera-flex mono leafes made of fiber glass?? I'm slightly skeptical, but my interest is piqued. Anyone actually take the gamble on them yet?
                      In my experience Detroits are highly reliable: no o rings, solenoids, switches, pumps, fittings or hoses to go wrong.

As I understand it, Detroits lock up when they detect a difference in wheel speed and torque is applied to the drive shaft. So if you take a corner at constant speed nothing happens. If you take a corner and jump on the gas or let off the gas they may lock/unlock with a bang and a lurch. Having said that they can also let out a bang for no apparent reason.

Torque steer is when the vehicle changes direction when torque is applied or removed from the drive train. FWD rice rockets from the 80s would torque steer like an SOB. In this case the axleshafts were not the same length so one would wind up more than the other. This would cause the front of the vehicle to change direction or "steer." This prob has largely been eliminated by hollow shafts and such.

If you gass up a RWD vehicle and dump the clutch the passenger tire will break traction and spin. This is particularly bad on leafsprung vehicles. If you add a locker the passenger tire will still lift but it can't spin. Now the DS wheel tries to drive round the PS wheel. This feels like the Jeep is trying to make a sharp right turn. A little correction to the left and it runs straight. No biggie.

Comment

torque bar

OK...so I finally took pics of my torque bar or ladder bar if you want.

But I can't figure out how to insert images from my MJR gallery. :homer:

Balls. Take a look in my gallery. I'm sure someone will tell me how it's done. I seem to remember a button to insert gallery image, oh well.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I did it HAH!!

Comment

Awsome. The axle dosn't twist on the axis of the bar setup? looks good, is that a "custom" fab or did u find that?

Comment

Awsome. The axle dosn't twist on the axis of the bar setup? looks good, is that a "custom" fab or did u find that?

The axle can not twist in reaction to the torque applied to the wheels.

The axle is still free to move up and down and front to back. F to B is very important with leaf springs and shackles.

Everything is custom. The axle plates are 1/4". The tubing is .120 wall DOM.

Most? of the shelf kits have a shackle at the cross member to allow F to B movement. I had a shackle originally but it got mashed. Then I went to a simple slip joint with a bronze bush. It wasn't HD enough and I bent it :homer: This is the 3rd and final (so far) design. I just sleeved the tubing, w/o a bushing, a little grease and it's happy.

Some folks have suggested that the bar works better on the passenger side, which makes sense to me. But it was too late for my install.

Comment

that is a cool design aston.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                                that is a cool design aston.
                                Thanks

The cross member did not start out that shape - it got molded by passing rocks Now it is out of the way but it prevented service to the transfer case. So I cut it and added flanges.

It eliminates 90% of wheel hop.

Comment

Working...
                                X