Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering cooler

Has anybody installed a power steering cooler on a TJ ? I ahve a 06 Rubi and have a spare small trans cooler and was gonna try to use it for a steering cooler. I take it that one line is low pressure and one is high pressure, so i could intall it on the low pressure side, it would triple my capacity which would proablly help alot.
    Any ideas would help me
    thanks
    moon buggy
    5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

cooler

I ran the return line-low pressure- from the steering box into the cooler and then another line from the cooler to the pump, did that make sense ive been sick and cant think very well, make sure you use tranny rated hose, and on mine-not a rubicon there was a hard line on the pump that had to be bent or you cant get the hose on, if so use a little bender, that sucker breaks and its new pump time, hope this helps a bit Stuart////

Comment

should be just as you thought. install it on the low pressure return to the t/c pump resevoir. TJ resevoirs had a plastic barbed fitting that the hose attached to, be careful not to break it. you'll need a couple feet of 3/8 low pressure steering hose if you want to put it in front of the radiator. I zip tied mine to the "V" bracket inside the grill.

good luck.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Yep, just like Brian said!:yay: Works great!
        That's a BIG rock!

Comment

I'm curious, what is the problem you are trying to solve? Apart from hot ps fluid :homer:
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
            I'm curious, what is the problem you are trying to solve? Apart from hot ps fluid :homer:
            On some of the more technical trails my power steering fluid gets real hot and boils over causing the pump to whine. Just trying to keep it cooler, and the cooler would probally triple the amount of fluid there.
            moon buggy
            5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
              hot or boiling power steering fluid leads to steering fade (no or very difficult steering).

I REALLY like the new nanna. :yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

is there a common aftermarket cooler, like a b&m trans cooler that could be used? how much pressure you figure the low end of the pump has? Does the lines work if you use std. hose clamps or is there a prefered method here?

Comment

Originally posted by poultry411 View Post
                  is there a common aftermarket cooler, like a b&m trans cooler that could be used? how much pressure you figure the low end of the pump has? Does the lines work if you use std. hose clamps or is there a prefered method here?
                  both Rick and I use the same B&M stacked plate trans cooler, just pick one that fits where you want to put it.

no idea, i think low pressure steering hose is rate at about 300 psi.

hose clamps or push lock hose and fittings are fine.
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                    both Rick and I use the same B&M stacked plate trans cooler, just pick one that fits where you want to put it.

no idea, i think low pressure steering hose is rate at about 300 psi.

hose clamps or push lock hose and fittings are fine.
                    Here are some links to different types and manufactures of steering coolers. The DANA site has a PDF with some good info.
                    Rat

http://www.derale.com/power-steering-coolers.html

http://www.howeperformance.com/accessories-coolers.htm

http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Syste...platepsoc.aspx
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

that's what I call a cheap YJ trick. Thanks, I'll put it on the list of future mods.

Comment

Working...
                      X