Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sway bar

does anyone know if a sway bar for a cj and a yj are the same? or if they can be interchanged with minor mods?
    thanx Jim
    ../l ,[____],
    l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

The two models are so different that I can't imagine them being interchangeable. And while I am always pushing Jeepers to use their antiswaybars on TJs since they're really needed on that model, I didn't think many CJ and YJ owners felt they were needed that much. Do you?
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

well when i bought my cj it never had a sway bar so i cant really compare it to a yj.but i want to go spring over with yj springs so i think i will need the stability
      jim
      ../l ,[____],
      ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

It wouldnt be hard to put swaybars from a yj on there since you are already completely changing the suspension to SOA. You might have to fab a place to connect the sway bar links to near the spring perch, on a yj they are part of the U bolt apparatus that holds the axle to the leaf.
        I have a Jeep

Comment

I drive a TJ and run no swaybars at all and have never had a problem.

Jason
          The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

All righty then?????
            99TJ

Comment

Swaybars are a definitly needed on coil sprung rigs. Not sure how much stability they will ad to a leaf sprung rig.
              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

I have a YJ SOA and no (anti) sway bar.
                I got tired of messing with the disconnects so I just left it in the garage.
                I find it drives just fine on the street, as long as I remember I am in my Jeep and not the car.
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

oky dokey i was just wondering. it would be nice to have when i go to sell my jeep. ( for college) i know - bad choice but i need something more economical - im thinking like on 03 ranger until i can re-invest in jeeps.but it needs a rebuilt engine and transmission and i dont want to deal with that so i'll do the suspension and pass her on.
                  Thanx Jim
                  ../l ,[____],
                  ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

My lifted 86 CJ does have better tipping angles with the sway bar connected. It feels more stable on the street also. I only disconnect in extreme rock crawling, and try to reconnect as soon as I get away from the boulders.
                    Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front, Detroit No spins F/R, 4.56 /1
                    Bulletproof front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper
                    MPFI 258ci I6 by Clifford
                    35" BFG AT, 4 wheel disc brakes
                    4.5" Superlift, 2" body lift
                    Bad to the bone.[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed]

Comment

This could be a good thread not on how to put on sway bars but the pros and cons on performance off roading.

I have the RE 5 long arm. I resently over the past 6 weeks have had the pleasure of introducing them to rock, the stuff you see in JV not rubble in creek bottoms. I'm no pro in these type of rocks but have learned some stuff in it and some by PM'n some of the members here and going to look at their rigs.

What is your opinion for those who like riding rocks such as in JV on sway bars long arms or springs? Certainly on road I connect!
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

My last jeep was an 00 TJ on 37's and had a RE 5.5 Long arm kit. It worked well, however as many will note, the long arms did get hung up on many obsticles in JV. When I first got the jeep, it had a front antirock but no rear swaybar. The way it handled on the street was not very impressive. The ride was great with the long arms, but the tub flopped a lot when turning corners etc. Once I installed a rear antirock to work against the front, there was a night and day difference in how it rode on and off the trail. My buggy was the same way when I first got it. No sway bars and quite scary to drive down the street. Again, I installed front and rear antirocks and the handling was improved tremedously {although driving with full hydro steering is a bit different}. As far as the best suspension that I have seen work in JV would be Blaines medium arm setup. Next would be the currie J arm set up, then the long arm set up.
                        ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                        00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                        97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                          My last jeep was an 00 TJ on 37's and had a RE 5.5 Long arm kit. It worked well, however as many will note, the long arms did get hung up on many obsticles in JV. When I first got the jeep, it had a front antirock but no rear swaybar. The way it handled on the street was not very impressive. The ride was great with the long arms, but the tub flopped a lot when turning corners etc. Once I installed a rear antirock to work against the front, there was a night and day difference in how it rode on and off the trail. My buggy was the same way when I first got it. No sway bars and quite scary to drive down the street. Again, I installed front and rear antirocks and the handling was improved tremedously {although driving with full hydro steering is a bit different}. As far as the best suspension that I have seen work in JV would be Blaines medium arm setup. Next would be the currie J arm set up, then the long arm set up.
                          Chris ,
                          2 questions...hows you knee doing and how did you talk your wife into the rock buggy?
                          I agree with the sway connects mine doesnt even have the sway bar in the rear. This summer I have a few projects including adding the antirock front and rear. I dont do rock much unless its in my way. Want to get see best application for all around using what I have already.
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                            As far as the best suspension that I have seen work in JV would be Blaines medium arm setup. Next would be the currie J arm set up, then the long arm set up.
                            Tire size being equal, I'd have to say a properly set up short arm lift will out crawl a long arm kit in JV on a regular basis. :2:
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                              Tire size being equal, I'd have to say a properly set up short arm lift will out crawl a long arm kit in JV on a regular basis. :2:
                              I'll probably agree with that but unfortunatly I myself has the long arm. I'm thinking of strapping it up while in rocks. After all sway is with a long arm disconnected is exactly what youll get and perhaps a new door too.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X