Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Set up

I am thinking about purchasing a winch while the prices are good during the holidays and I had a question about set up. Is a second battery required for a winch, or can you get buy with one battery?

As with most mods, I know there are other things I need to purchase to get this winch working; Mounting plate, accessories....... is there anything other than the ordinary I need to purchase?

I am thinking of the Warn 9.5ti.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Ran all my winches up to the last two vehicles on a single battery. 2 is better - not necessary.

Get the winch "accessories" kit that has the chain, snatch block, tree saver, etc - then pick up at least two more clevis' - they come in handy.

Although I have a Ramsey winch - I bought the Warn accessory kit.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

you can run it with one battery. an alternator upgrade cant hurt, as that is what usually beats up the winch.
      of course, we prefer the synthetic winch lines over the cable. if you can buy the winch with no cable, it will save you money in the long run.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I run my winch off of a single (OE) battery with a stock alternator. On a HEAVY pull, it will pull my electrical system down to 9.5 volts @2500rpm. So, a dual battery would be nice....but as mentioned, you can run one without it. Just be aware of the extra heat that is created when your amp draw spikes due to the voltage loss (my ew-9000 pulls just over 550 amps when the voltage drops that low).

Synthetic rope is cool...but damn is it expensive! I run steel until I can fit the synthetic in the budget. Do not be afraid to use it.....just take all the necessary precautions with it. A flying cable to the head would ruin your weekend. If you have the $$$, it is a good upgrade from the start.

Dukes can probably get you a good price on Outbacks winch acc kit. It is a nice collection of quality gear.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Awesome, Thanks guys for the info. Any other opinions and thought are much appreciated.

I have seen some great prices with PORC and with OffroadOverstock on the Warn Winches right now. I have to make my decision quickly though. Wish my Bonus would come sooner! (Hopefully I get one now that I said that!)
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
          Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

TJSUPE
            if you look at your battery, it will more than likely be of less cranking amps than the winch manufacturer states. Do not run out an buy a new battery, the old one will work just fine untillyou kill it with the winch. My battery is rated 600 cca and Warn wants a 650 cca for my xd9000i, been running it for over 6 months now and it works just fine. Now if I used my winch like Nailer does, sometimes I wonder if he bought a jeep just so he could work a winch, then a biggger batttery would be needed immediately, as would a bigger altenator.
            however, in 6 months time my winch has been unspooled areound 5 times
            once for stretching
            twice to pull something off trail
            once to get myself out of a stupid nubes mistake
            and once to pull a tree out of my back yard
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

for synth winch rope call John at winchline.com. tell him you love Iceland. tell him blue rubicons rock. tell him your from MJR... you might get a good deal.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Lots of things you can do to make winches happier electrically. I usually toss the factory cabling and run heavier high strand welding cable - but most folks don't have the tools to crimp the ends (no, you don't solder welding cables!).

If the winch doesn't come with a dedicated ground cable - that's probably one of the better improvements to make. Good conductors, straight to the battery, buy marine grade battery terminals and keep them clean.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Welding Cable?

Originally posted by Old Fart
                  >snip
                  ...toss the factory cabling and run heavier high strand welding cable - but most folks don't have the tools to crimp the ends (no, you don't solder welding cables!).
                  >snip
                  Why not??
                  I soldered mine

No. 1 welding cable, custom installation with solonoids mounted under the hood.

Could there be enough heat to melt the solder? I've winched mine pretty hard just a couple of times is all, no problem yet. In fact, the cables don't even get warm. Could be a mess if the positive side came loose though. What am I missing?

Comment

x2

welding cable is worth the effort, I soldered mine, no probs so far.

Use the main battery posts for the winch and the side posts for the starter.

get all the goodies here:

http://www.wranglernw.com/
                    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Can't get the penetration to make a really good connection with soldering, and if you could - you'd make the ends brittle. IF you could get the ends, you could exothermic weld them (Cadweld/Tectoweld) (very high heat, very short duration) - but those type connections aren't designed for moving/vibration style environments.

You may have gotten it to work, and if the cable is sized properly it might even not fail - but there are no industrial uses of high strand cabling of this type that would even consider a thermic weld process.

If you ever replace one of your cables - cut the connection apart with a band saw - after that I'll be more than happy to loan you my industrial crimper
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Can't get the penetration to make a really good connection with soldering, and if you could - you'd make the ends brittle. IF you could get the ends, you could exothermic weld them (Cadweld/Tectoweld) (very high heat, very short duration) - but those type connections aren't designed for moving/vibration style environments.

You may have gotten it to work, and if the cable is sized properly it might even not fail - but there are no industrial uses of high strand cabling of this type that would even consider a thermic weld process.

If you ever replace one of your cables - cut the connection apart with a band saw - after that I'll be more than happy to loan you my industrial crimper
                        My terminals are sized to match the cable, and I fed in about 5" of flux core solder using a propane torch. I wonder where all the solder goes. It does make the last couple of inches of cable rigid so it felt like the terminals had made a good connection.

I think your test is a good idea though. I'll make one up and cut it apart and see how the solder penetrated the cable.

That's odd. The guys at McFadden-Dale industrial supply said that was the way to go. And I thought I read somewhere else that soldering was the best way to make up cables.

Thanks for the heads up! I sure wouldn't want them to fail out on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                          I am thinking about purchasing a winch while the prices are good during the holidays and I had a question about set up. Is a second battery required for a winch, or can you get buy with one battery?

As with most mods, I know there are other things I need to purchase to get this winch working; Mounting plate, accessories....... is there anything other than the ordinary I need to purchase?

I am thinking of the Warn 9.5ti.
                          I'm running the duel odyssey dry cell set-up. Check the specks of the dry cells vrs wet. Not sure if it polite to advertise the web page.

One thing I do know once the bat is low v the amps kick up and that burns the motor out of the winch. Burned a couple out in my earlier days.

Did have an ole 64 land rover my dad and I restored had a power take off from the transfer case to drive it. While pulling out a tree the cable broke and took out the front window ( we just restored the thing).
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                            My terminals are sized to match the cable, and I fed in about 5" of flux core solder using a propane torch. I wonder where all the solder goes. It does make the last couple of inches of cable rigid so it felt like the terminals had made a good connection.

I think your test is a good idea though. I'll make one up and cut it apart and see how the solder penetrated the cable.

That's odd. The guys at McFadden-Dale industrial supply said that was the way to go. And I thought I read somewhere else that soldering was the best way to make up cables.

Thanks for the heads up! I sure wouldn't want them to fail out on the trail.
                            Solder is into the strands, just real hard to get uniform flow without destroying the insulation. "In the industry", I've never seen a soldered connection for cabling of this type - always a compression connection. As an example, the Central Office that your regular telephone service goes back to (or the Mobile Switching Center that your Cellular/PCS phone goes back to) runs on -48VDC. Most of the distribution runs are parallel 777 or 999 MCM cable (imagine the "wire" part of the cable being over an inch in diameter). You'll never find anything but a compression connector in that environment.

(Guess what I used to do for a living)
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

:hijack:
                              (Guess what I used to do for a living)
                              Male dancer?
                              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...
                              X