• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulhead
    Quadruple super dibs.
    you are first in line, paul.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
      i have a lot of things in the works.
      i will be doing a major upgrade to both my steering and brakes.
      with the steering, i will be installing a tommy lee 808 steering box which is ported for a steering ram. i discovered the need for the ram on my last JV run. the jeep was forced over into some rocks which angled the shackles far enough that i had NO steering to the right whatsoever. the ram will create a direct attatchment connecting the steering to the axle positively. it will turn the wheels despite whatever the suspension is doing.

the lee box and ram will be geting fluid from a how pump putting out 1500 psi and 5 gpm. this thing will flow some oil! this will be routed through an 18" aluminum finned cooler to keep the oil cool. the fluid will be stored in a howe reservoir which has baffles to keep the oil from foaming and becoming an issue for the hydroboost braking system.

the hydroboost is a vanco tuned hydroboost braking system. it will be pushing fluid to the cobra brake calipers. the calipers will be adapted to the wj knuckles, which will allow me to have seperate tie rod and drag link. this is boiling down to one hell of a modification. it will steer like a beast and stop like a race car.

pics of the parts are to come.
      Couple questions. Will for sure next summer change out the breaking to the hydroboost but more interested in the ram assist.

Ram assist steering:
      Only have seen this in rock buggies. I dont trailer but the rig so its not my primary vehicle but I do drive it to sites. I too get jammed where I cant turn ( rubi 5.5 long arm). I for sure need to improvise my steering I constantly break the bolts to the stablizer arm.

Any draw backs in regular driving to and fro?

How well will the steering knuckes hold up?

Do you have this installed yet? Pictures?
      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
      WEB site

Comment

i dont have any of the new fluid moving parts on there yet. all i have at this time is the main steering componants like the knuckles, tie rod and drag link. plus the brakes.
        the rest is soon to come. i have to gather a few more parts.
        ERIK

Comment

Erik, Thought you would have that all done by now! I sure enjoyed fondling your new shiny parts...

Originally posted by Britain
          Couple questions. Will for sure next summer change out the breaking to the hydroboost but more interested in the ram assist.

Ram assist steering:
          Only have seen this in rock buggies. I dont trailer but the rig so its not my primary vehicle but I do drive it to sites. I too get jammed where I cant turn ( rubi 5.5 long arm). I for sure need to improvise my steering I constantly break the bolts to the stablizer arm.

Any draw backs in regular driving to and fro?

How well will the steering knuckes hold up?

Do you have this installed yet? Pictures?
          I installed a ram assist last month and have been very happy with the results.

I tapped my stock box and installed a PSC 1.5x6" ram. Older YJ's ('87-'90 maybe?) came from the factory with P pumps, which is what I have, so I'm just running the stock pump also.

On the trail there is plenty of power to turn the tires. I no longer have any problem not being able to turn when I want to.

The only negative, which I think is a result of the stock pump, is that I cant turn my steering wheel fast, approx 2 seconds per steering revolution. This has only proven to be a problem when I'm trying to beat someone into a parking spot at the mall.

Driving down the highway it acts like a stiff steering stabilizer. Really not a positive or negative.

Heres a pic from my first trip out with it:

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
            Erik, Thought you would have that all done by now! I sure enjoyed fondling your new shiny parts...

I installed a ram assist last month and have been very happy with the results.

I tapped my stock box and installed a PSC 1.5x6" ram. Older YJ's ('87-'90 maybe?) came from the factory with P pumps, which is what I have, so I'm just running the stock pump also.

On the trail there is plenty of power to turn the tires. I no longer have any problem not being able to turn when I want to.

The only negative, which I think is a result of the stock pump, is that I cant turn my steering wheel fast, approx 2 seconds per steering revolution. This has only proven to be a problem when I'm trying to beat someone into a parking spot at the mall.

Driving down the highway it acts like a stiff steering stabilizer. Really not a positive or negative.

Heres a pic from my first trip out with it:
            Lake Hodges, your close. Any problem if we can set up a time that I can see it?
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Lake Hodges, your close. Any problem if we can set up a time that I can see it?
              Anytime.

I keep my Jeep at my work in San Marcos (just West of Escondido). Kinda a hike from El Centro though...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
                Anytime.

I keep my Jeep at my work in San Marcos (just West of Escondido). Kinda a hike from El Centro though...
                I'm a transplant from Ramona, lived there 25 years. My kids live in Ramona. I'm in the area often.
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

I'm a transplant from Ramona, lived there 25 years. My kids live in Ramona. I'm in the area often.
                  I'll pm you my number

Comment

here are some pictures of the installed steering. there is still quite a bit to do on this, but it is functional at this point, and awaiting the steering box, pump, and ram install. the hydroboost is currently being taken care of by vanco, and i have something special in store with this hydroboost unit. i'll keep you posted as things develop.

[SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8535.JPG[/SIZED]
                    [SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8538.JPG[/SIZED]
                    [SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8537.JPG[/SIZED]
                    [SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8543.JPG[/SIZED]
                    [SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8544.JPG[/SIZED]
                    ERIK

Comment

Post some pictures of the engine compartment where the hydroboost will be along with the pump install/mods.

I think my radiator overflow containers need to be moved to make room. Does anyone make good containers which dont spill all over the engine compartment?

Nice work!
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

i dont have the hydroboost in there yet. when i get it going i'll do my best to get some pictures of the installation. i know i have a mess of stuff in the way of the hydroboost on my jeep. my spare compresor, as well as the filter box will have to move. i'm sure there is a lot of other stuff in the way too.
                        i'll just have to play it by ear.
                        ERIK

Comment

looks really nice Erik.

as for the overflow bottle, I went with one of these...

it has worked well.
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                            looks really nice Erik.

as for the overflow bottle, I went with one of these...

it has worked well.
                            Great! Thanks!
                            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                            WEB site

Comment

[SIZED]http://www.pierviews.com/photogallery/jeep%20modification%20pages/STEERING%20UPGRADE/tn_IMG_8555.JPG[/SIZED]
                              ERIK

Comment

Does the booster or master cylinder have any part numbers on them?
                                What is the length of the rod?

I have a donor booster from a 1985 diesel sub..

Thanks
                                Ron
                                1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Working...
                                X