Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Axles for bigger tires?????

Hey, i just got some 35x12.50inch mud terrains from BFG and my dad said that i cant doo anything hardcore next time i go off road because of my axles cant handle the weight.... IS THIS TRUE??? sometimes my dad get a lil carried away and says stuff like this which might now be true

You have a D35. Not a good combo for 35's.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Depending on who you ask, your answer will vary. Most people (and I agree) say 35's are too big for the D35. I have not heard a lot about the D30 low pinion (which is the stock front axle on TJs) and 35s but a lot of people run the D30HP on 35s with out problems.

I tend to over build for my needs so I do not end up with a lot of surprise just a lot less money
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Bigger question is how are you geared? If stock gears (don't know on a TJ - my YJ came with 3.07's), you're already buying into solving a lot of things with momentum - REALLY not a good combination with a Dana 35.

To "real world" move into the 35" tire realm, you're looking at suspension lift, SYE on the transfer case and gearing. I wouldn't invest a nickel in a Dana 35 (BTDT).
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

i have it regeared to 4:56

Comment

4.56's and a 4 banger are still going to be a bit hard with 35's. I would suggest looking into a replacement rear axle (minimum) and 4.88's.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
              To "real world" move into the 35" tire realm, you're looking at suspension lift, SYE on the transfer case and gearing. I wouldn't invest a nickel in a Dana 35 (BTDT).
              Agreed, "upgrading" a D35 would seem an awful lot like polishing a turd to me, but I guess a lot of companies are making good money on this proposition.

I'd say keep the 4 cylinder, put in a Klune underdrive and upgrade the axle to a Dana 44 with 4.88's and lockers and make a supercrawler.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

That will work great on the trail - but even with 4.56's, on the street getting _to_ the trail if he goes with 35's he can kiss 4th and 5th good bye

I'm currently with 4.10's and 35's on my 4.0 - rarely use 5th. I try not to as I have a 4 speed/Klune/NP205 sitting on the workbench that will be going in as soon as I get off my dead butt and build shifters for the 205.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

I currently have a D35 with 35inch MTRs and wheel too hard. Im asking for a problem. I have a D44 sitting in my garage than needs spring perches and control arm mounts welded for the TJ... No time to do it but am I going to hate myself if I break an axle on the trail before I "get to it".

I would say with your set up you should be careful. A lot is driving techniqe and common sense. To properly upgrade a D35 your looking at $1000 plus for new axles and an axle truss. I know a guy who runs his D35 with Superior axle upgrade, Detroit locker, and the Superior axle truss with 37 inch Iroks on some gnarly stuff and hasn't broke anything but he has 1500 in that axle. I bought my used D44 with a trac-lock and matching gears for 250 bucks... I am rebuilding it on the bench and adding a locker... for much less than the 1500 total...

Also remember the D35 is a C clip axle which means if you do break it your tire will coming out and won't be held in the axle... like this

Just food for thought...
                  Scott Poliseno
                  www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

Cool website for this topic

Broken 35's
                    Last edited by paulhead; 03-11-05, 09:23 AM.
                    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                      Those videos are very sobering. Bring spares if you don't want to be dragging your jeep around with lumber lashed up to it.
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                        Agreed, "upgrading" a D35 would seem an awful lot like polishing a turd to me, but I guess a lot of companies are making good money on this proposition.

I'd say keep the 4 cylinder, put in a Klune underdrive and upgrade the axle to a Dana 44 with 4.88's and lockers and make a supercrawler.
                        Typical "WEB WHEELER STATEMENT" Get off the intenet and wheel. Upgrading the 35 can be a very good idea. Have you ever seen a S35???? It definately can do just about anything with tires up to 35's.

Comment

Those video's are stock 35's. 35's aren't the only axle that can break.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                            Typical "WEB WHEELER STATEMENT" Get off the intenet and wheel.
                            OK, if you insist!

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                              Typical "WEB WHEELER STATEMENT" Get off the intenet and wheel. Upgrading the 35 can be a very good idea. Have you ever seen a S35???? It definately can do just about anything with tires up to 35's.
                              Super 35's hold up GREAT at the mall, AL!
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X