Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outlaw
    4.56's and a 4 banger are still going to be a bit hard with 35's. I would suggest looking into a replacement rear axle (minimum) and 4.88's.

When I regeared my 4 banger, I went with 488's. I currently have 33's, and its a great combo. I'll be upgrading to 35's soon (gettin a super 35, beside the point) but I don't think I'll be keepin the 488's. Seems like anything bigger than 33" ( for a DD that is) is too much. I think it would be like 33's with stock gearing to run 488's with 35's. I think 513's may be alot more practical. Just my 2cents. If someone is runnin 35's on a 4 banger with 488's and still has 5th, let me know. It will save me some $$.
    I have the Super 35 kit w/Detroit and 4.88 gears. My Jeep is my weekend toy but I do drive it occasionally during the week. As such, the gearing is about as good as it gets with 33" MTR's and a 2.5L. My top speed on the freeway is a speedo indicated 70mph and acceleration from a standing start is rather slow. I still use 5th gear, but that's on level ground and I'll drop down into 4th at the slightest hint of an incline.
    From what the folks over @ Drivetrain Direct told me, 4.88 gearing is the biggest/tallest gearing that you can fit into the Dana 35.

Sidenote: I installed a Teraflex 4:1 t-case upgrade and that has changed my gearing even though they say other wise. I have great "crawlablity" in 4Lo but 4Hi is miserable. I can barely get anywhere so, I run in either 2Hi or 4Lo.
    4:1 ratio racing

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW

Sidenote: I installed a Teraflex 4:1 t-case upgrade and that has changed my gearing even though they say other wise. I have great "crawlablity" in 4Lo but 4Hi is miserable. I can barely get anywhere so, I run in either 2Hi or 4Lo.
      What kind of problems are you having with the 4:1? I didn't think there was a hi range gear change, and if 2 hi is Ok then theoretically the gearing for 4 hi is the same. Are you getting any noise out of it (more than before the swap) in 4hi?. I was pondering on this kit but I think the boys at Klune are going to get my money....

BTW my 4 banger cruises at 70-75 quite happily in 5th with 48's and 35's (also with the super 35) but it took a couple of years of engine mods to get it that way! :beer: :wink:
      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
        What kind of problems are you having with the 4:1? I didn't think there was a hi range gear change, and if 2 hi is Ok then theoretically the gearing for 4 hi is the same. Are you getting any noise out of it (more than before the swap) in 4hi?. I was pondering on this kit but I think the boys at Klune are going to get my money....

BTW my 4 banger cruises at 70-75 quite happily in 5th with 48's and 35's (also with the super 35) but it took a couple of years of engine mods to get it that way! :beer: :wink:
        I don't have anything "concrete" to prove that my gearing in 4Hi has changed since I installed the Tera-Flex 4:1 kit. It's really an opinion formed by the "seat of the pants" experience. My Jeep crawls great in all five gears when the T-case is in 4Lo. However, 4Hi is another story. I'm not sure if my Jeep's motor is getting tired, but it just does not like to go anywhere in 4Hi.
        Actually the t-case does make more noise now, but you hear the gears spinnig in 4Lo and the drive chain when I am out on the highway. I probably need to replace the drive chain and that would eliminate alot of the noise.
        But, overall I am pleased with my choice to purchase the Tera-Flex kit.

Are you talking about the Klune-V setup or the Atlas t-case?
        4:1 ratio racing

Comment

Either the Klune or the 4:1 are 1:1 in high range.

Change pants - they need recalibration
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

BTW my 4 banger cruises at 70-75 quite happily in 5th with 48's and 35's (also with the super 35) but it took a couple of years of engine mods to get it that way! :beer: :wink:[/QUOTE]

What engine mods? :confused: I don't believe in bolt-ons. Not for a 2.5 anyway.
            99' SE 5spd, lifted, locked F&R, 4.88's

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW
              I don't have anything "concrete" to prove that my gearing in 4Hi has changed since I installed the Tera-Flex 4:1 kit. It's really an opinion formed by the "seat of the pants" experience. My Jeep crawls great in all five gears when the T-case is in 4Lo. However, 4Hi is another story. I'm not sure if my Jeep's motor is getting tired, but it just does not like to go anywhere in 4Hi.
              Actually the t-case does make more noise now, but you hear the gears spinnig in 4Lo and the drive chain when I am out on the highway. I probably need to replace the drive chain and that would eliminate alot of the noise.
              But, overall I am pleased with my choice to purchase the Tera-Flex kit.

Are you talking about the Klune-V setup or the Atlas t-case?
              I ran a Klune in another rig (borrowed unfortunatley) and especially if you ever hit mud or sand, still having the 2.73 low range makes a lot of sense, especially in a lower powered motor. where you still need momentum that you'd loose with any lower low range. then on top of that you get have the ultra low 200:1 crawl ratio, it's quite amazing the control you have with the wheels turning that slowly.

As for the engine mods, it was more of a challenge to get good torque and HP (ok still not 6banger/v6/v8 power) out of a little motor, we dyno'ed it and it was pretty reasonable for a little motor. I always felt it's about horses for courses, I have no need to have high hp and anyone can swap out to something bigger. 1 added benefit of the 4 banger is the motor weight is behind the center line of the front axle, on loose climbs it's a real benefit having the vehicle's weight centered. Just waiting for the cash for the Klune. :haha: :beer:
              Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw
                What engine mods? :confused: I don't believe in bolt-ons. Not for a 2.5 anyway.[/QUOTE]

Any motor can benefit from "bolt-ons"....here's the list....

Turbo city Cherokee intake (fit the engine compartment better)
                60mm throttle body + spacer
                ported intake manifold
                Custom ground Cam
                Cat back with custom pipes from header to cat
                hi flow cat
                T/city adjustable MAP sensor
                T/city crank pos sensor
                Stock Header I cracked the after market one....
                Accel ignition and wire kit

sitting in the box to be installed
                Yella terra roller rockers and lifters
                Banks Header

there yugo..

Comment

preciate it
                  99' SE 5spd, lifted, locked F&R, 4.88's

Comment

Working...
                  X