Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll be installing (with some help) a hybrid wj steering set up shortly. it consists of wj knuckles, 1-1/4" dom tubing, COBRA brakes, explorer rotors, etc..
    this should work out well, and allow me to keep my 15" wheels
    i'll post up a write up when i get around do putting this together.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 10-20-05, 09:37 AM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint
      ok i got a question. what if i get the hp30 for my tj and i know that i can swap everything over minus knuckles(for tj rotors) and the gears. what if i have the warn hub kit set up and i have the cj style rotors? can i still use the xj knuckles with cj style rotors?

im talking warn 5x4.5 hub kit, warn axles, Dana 30 ARB, cj style rotors. is this ok?
      Sounds like you have all the parts you need {or getting close}. You will need to weld a spacer {around .25 if memory serves} on the face of the knuckle {steel to cast, so some pre-heating is involved} to properly align the u-joints. It's been a couple years since I did this so I'm a little rusty now. PM mrblaine, as he was one of the first to do this mod.
      ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
      00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
      97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

ok i got a question. what if i get the hp30 for my tj and i know that i can swap everything over minus knuckles(for tj rotors) and the gears. what if i have the warn hub kit set up and i have the cj style rotors? can i still use the xj knuckles with cj style rotors?

im talking warn 5x4.5 hub kit, warn axles, Dana 30 ARB, cj style rotors. is this ok?
        Oops, I misread the question.

If you are using the WJ knuckles you have to use the WJ brakes. The TJ brakes wont fit. Your hub kit will work fine, but will need a .25 spacer like Chris said. IIRC the older WJ calipers will fit in 15" wheels, but some grinding may be required. If you want to spring for the cobra calipers and explorer rotors, they are alot lower profile and will fit with no mods.

The older XJ knuckles are different then the newer style XJ knuckles (2 piece vs. one piece). The newer style should be the same as your TJ. I'm guessing you are asking about the XJ knuckles just incse you dont do the WJ stuff right off the bat? If you are worried about the XJ knuckles just do like I said in my first post to you. Good Luck!
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

do you care about ackerman???
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
            Where did that come from?
            I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              Oops, I misread the question.

If you are using the WJ knuckles you have to use the WJ brakes. The TJ brakes wont fit. Your hub kit will work fine, but will need a .25 spacer like Chris said. IIRC the older WJ calipers will fit in 15" wheels, but some grinding may be required. If you want to spring for the cobra calipers and explorer rotors, they are alot lower profile and will fit with no mods.

The older XJ knuckles are different then the newer style XJ knuckles (2 piece vs. one piece). The newer style should be the same as your TJ. I'm guessing you are asking about the XJ knuckles just incse you dont do the WJ stuff right off the bat? If you are worried about the XJ knuckles just do like I said in my first post to you. Good Luck!

You didn't misread. He's confusing everyone with the CJ rotors and the small hub conversion. The small hub conversion only uses the stock TJ cast rotor. The large HCK uses a CJ rotor that is then turned down to the diameter of the TJ rotor.

I've read the question at least 10 times and I can't tell what he's trying to accomplish.

Try again, this time type really slow cause I don't read so fast.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                Probably from the post about the you're a peein knuckle combined with the stardard issue WJ passenger side to hang a tie rod off the bottom of the upper arms.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

I heart ackerman
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                    I heart ackerman
                    If you are so enamored, you should at least practice good spelling.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                      If you are so enamored, you should at least practice good spelling.
                      As long as my spelling is better then Erik's, I'm happy. You'll just have to come to terms with that.
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                        would you rather talk about scrub radius???

hehe, j/k... I'm just happy I understand some of these steering terms now. :yay:

found a good link...
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerma...ering_geometry
                        Last edited by blkTJ; 10-20-05, 12:41 PM.
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

would you rather talk about scrub radius???

hehe, j/k... I'm just happy I understand some of these steering terms now. :yay:
                          Which would you rather have given a single choice? Ackermann or minimal scrub radius?
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Which would you rather have given a single choice? Ackermann or minimal scrub radius?
                            I'm gonna say that minimal scrub radius would be more important, especially if the front axle is locked. with both tires turning at the same rpm, ackermann or no ackermann is a moot point.

i think.
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Define scrub radius for me please?
                              2" body lift, 2" susp lift, Fabtec bumpers, wilderness rack, BFG 33's

Comment

Definition: The distance between the extended centerline of the steering axis and the centerline of the tire where the tread contacts the road. If the steering centerline is inboard of the tire centerline, the scrub radius is positive. If the steering centerline is outboard of the tire centerline, the scrub radius is negative. Rear-wheel drive cars and trucks generally have a positive scrub radius while FWD cars usually have zero or a negative scrub radius because they have a higher SAI angle. Using wheels with different offset than stock can alter the scrub radius.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY
                                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                                X